PDA

View Full Version : Just in time for the cold blast.

Tackleberry41
11-20-2015, 11:18 AM
Just finished getting the wood stove in for the cold coming this weekend. I push it out the door, put it in the tractor bucket, to store it in the garage during the warmer months. Not a huge one, but not one of the super cheap ones they sell either. Easy enough to slide across the wood floors on a towel to the front door, strap it to the tractor bucket. Always look in the garage BEFORE that trip to town for something. Those little self tapping screws to hold the chimney together, but had a pack hiding in my random screw/bolt/nut bin in the garage. And wood is really cheap around here, $40 filled the back of the dodge 2500. I don't own a splitter, besides the manual kind, not quite 2 loads a season, take me a long long time to save any money buying a splitter, plus fuel for the saw, oil, hauling it out of the woods.

GRUMPA
11-20-2015, 11:33 AM
I wish I could saw I was just in time before the cold weather hits. Finally got the tractor running a couple of weeks ago, and the highs for next week are going to be in the upper 40's here.

Even though I got it running the front tires are rotting away but I have replacements coming next week. Went out yesterday to repair part of the 4 miles of dirt driveway I have and the pistons for the front end loader went. Also found out how fast a properly inflated tire takes to deflate with the combined weight of the front end loader and the 6 cubic feet of wet rock and dirt, 3hrs.

Also found out I need to replace the seals for the lift pistons, seems to leak 1/4-1/2 cup of hydraulic fluid when I lower the loader. Now I have the seal kits on order which are $50ea per side.

Even though I have insulated overalls I must be turning into a whimp as I get older. Just the slightest breeze and anything the air can get to just zaps any kind of warmth there is.

And I have to repair the roads on my own, what few neighbors I have wont even pitch in, not a plug nickel or a thank you.

s mac
11-20-2015, 11:33 AM
The old sayin go's, A wise man warms himself 3 times with wood, cutting, splitting, and burning. Just sayin...

Love Life
11-20-2015, 11:42 AM
I got 1 1/2 cords stacked up last weekend with the help of my 6 year old daughter. Gave her a 20 spot for her work. Now it's time to kick back and relax...and wait for it to get cold in southern Georgia.

dragon813gt
11-20-2015, 11:47 AM
Your low will be our high :laugh:

I was in Western Mass this week. A crisp 19 in the morning. It was 60 at home. Needless to say I really wanted to come home :)

ericp
11-20-2015, 01:53 PM
I cut and split (the old fashioned way) 7 or 8 cords a winter, usually only get through 6 and give the leftovers to a local kids camp. I prefer to cut with a chainsaw and split with a maul. Splitting with a maul is good exercise, gives me time to think, and I like not having to maintain another piece of equipment.

Eric

shooter93
11-20-2015, 07:32 PM
I burn a fireplace some, I actually like messing with them to keep a good fire. My neighbor gave me quite a bit of cut wood and I split it as I need it with an axe. Propane is .89 a gallon here this year which is great needless to say. It could stay there forever, lol. At that price It's easier for me to work some weekends and buy the heat. The truth is for most of us the older you get the more heat you need. I have spent a lot of Winters working outside all Winter and I don't care for the deep cold anymore.

funnyjim014
11-20-2015, 10:07 PM
I buy a trailer of logs each year and cut,split,stack 20+ facecord.give half to dad. Gives me just enough to have a small surplus each year. And no sorry I don't split by hand any more. With 2 kids under 2 I wish I found away to go faster......unless they do it for me in a few years

MaryB
11-20-2015, 11:42 PM
When I heated with wood I rented a splitter for a weekend and split the cost with a friend in the trailer behind mine. We both heated with wood so we went through 7-8 cords each. With 5-6 people pitching in we had a mountain of split wood that we worked from all winter. Didn't stack it, just tossed random in a pile and covered with a tarp. If we got low we cut down another tree and split manually but I had a foot powered hydraulic splitter that saved my shoulders and back!

Freightman
11-21-2015, 10:29 AM
My being in the hospital slowed down my wood gathering this year but had to replace 75' of 6' wood fence so got a lot to burn [smilie=w: