PDA

View Full Version : What old guys do with time on their hands: Power case prep tool

michiganmike
11-18-2015, 01:21 PM
UPDATE: It was a great idea. But it doesn't work well. The problem is getting the mouth of the case, and especially the primer pocket centered on the turning tool.

After a couple dead ends, I realized the great idea was a no go. Casting about, I saw my little Ryobi 12 volt battery powered drill. I learned quickly that the Lyman tool bits will fit in the drill without harming the threads. In less than 15 minutes I had the primer pockets of 75 .223 rounds bright and shiny clean.

And I can do this sitting in my Lazy Boy recliner watching TV.

Now, what do I do with that nice 1/8 hp motor?

Two or three months ago I posted a question: To what use could a 1/8 hp. motor be put? I received a couple good ideas, and a request for an update. The time has arrived.

It all began when an old Ryobi bench top band saw died. A part broke and Ryobi no longer offered the replacement part. So, I salvaged the motor and switch and began looking for the material I needed. The whole process involved considerable meandering around, thinking, in retrospect doing things out of sequence, and some general fiddling around.

I went to Michigan State University's salvage store. There for a few dollars I found a heavy duty scientific instrument. I think its original purpose was to measure sperm counts for farm animals. I bought it for the case, painted it a bright red and mounted the motor through the middle.

Next, I drilled a hole down the center of the motor's spindle or shaft. It was just a little too big to cut threads in it. [All part of my meandering, non -sequential, fiddling around.] Then, as backup plan A I super glued the threads for an extra Lyman case prep tool in the hole.

Now I am able to thread all of the case prep tools from the Lyman Case Prep Accessory Set that I had. I have tried it out on a few .338 Federal cases I had on my reloading bench.

It works well. No more stiff, tired fingers or wrists from prepping a large number of cases. I cast and reload for the 7mm-08 and the .338 Federal. Both nice shooters.

I love it when a plan comes together, even plans that are poorly executed!:bigsmyl2:

Here are a couple pics. The whole thing is large. But I have room for it in my shop. And the surplus case was the right price and strong. And it gives me room to work on the cases with a steady hand.

MichiganMike153654153655

Harter66
11-18-2015, 01:44 PM
Well done .

Blackwater
11-18-2015, 01:46 PM
Good work, Mike. Ingenuity and perseverence STILL matters!

dudel
11-18-2015, 03:08 PM
Nice! How about a vacuum attachment to suck up all the brass shavings and primer smutz?

RED333
11-19-2015, 06:52 AM
I went to Michigan State University's salvage store. There for a few dollars I found a heavy duty scientific instrument. I think its original purpose was to measure sperm counts for farm animals.

Wait, what?

6bg6ga
11-19-2015, 06:58 AM
I went to Michigan State University's salvage store. There for a few dollars I found a heavy duty scientific instrument. I think its original purpose was to measure sperm counts for farm animals.

Wait, what?

I would have opted for a simple vacuum cleaner. So long as its clean..

Never mind ....... you only used the case and it was clean?

michiganmike
11-20-2015, 01:36 AM

Wait, what?

Yes, you read correctly. I live near Michigan State University. They have a store in which they sell all sorts of old, used, out of date items. This includes out dated scientific instruments, along with old office furniture, athletic equipment. You name it, they got it.

MSU also has a large college of agriculture. And the professors want to know if their prize rams, stallions, bulls, etc. are shooting blanks or full loads. It makes a difference when you are managing high quality, expensive herds of animals. Believe it or not, as Mr. Ripley said.

michiganmike
11-20-2015, 01:38 AM
I would have opted for a simple vacuum cleaner. So long as its clean..

Never mind ....... you only used the case and it was clean?

As Ordel Robbey, in the movie Jackie Brown said, "Correctamundo!"

MOA
11-21-2015, 06:45 PM
Great job Mike. Man I know just how your fingers and wrist can ache after some repeated actions, Im getting to the age where some motor operated procedures are soon to start happening for me too.:bigsmyl2:

michiganmike
12-10-2015, 08:33 PM
I edited the following post today. Then I realized that it did not show up as a new post. Just in case someone wanted to try my original route, it is a dead end for the reasons cited below.

Others have posted about using a drill for case prep. The Ryobi I had it my shop already works very well. It was inexpensive, a factor for a retired guy. And it was variable speed and relatively low torque at lower speeds. As a result, it doesn't torque on one's wrists and fingers. I am very pleased with this solution, which others before me have discovered.

UPDATE: It was a great idea. But it doesn't work well. The problem is getting the mouth of the case, and especially the primer pocket centered on the turning tool.

After a couple dead ends, I realized the great idea was a no go. Casting about, I saw my little Ryobi 12 volt battery powered drill. I learned quickly that the Lyman tool bits will fit in the drill without harming the threads. In less than 15 minutes I had the primer pockets of 75 .223 rounds bright and shiny clean.

And I can do this sitting in my Lazy Boy recliner watching TV.

Now, what do I do with that nice 1/8 hp motor?

Two or three months ago I posted a question: To what use could a 1/8 hp. motor be put? I received a couple good ideas, and a request for an update. The time has arrived.

It all began when an old Ryobi bench top band saw died. A part broke and Ryobi no longer offered the replacement part. So, I salvaged the motor and switch and began looking for the material I needed. The whole process involved considerable meandering around, thinking, in retrospect doing things out of sequence, and some general fiddling around.

I went to Michigan State University's salvage store. There for a few dollars I found a heavy duty scientific instrument. I think its original purpose was to measure sperm counts for farm animals. I bought it for the case, painted it a bright red and mounted the motor through the middle.

Next, I drilled a hole down the center of the motor's spindle or shaft. It was just a little too big to cut threads in it. [All part of my meandering, non -sequential, fiddling around.] Then, as backup plan A I super glued the threads for an extra Lyman case prep tool in the hole.

Now I am able to thread all of the case prep tools from the Lyman Case Prep Accessory Set that I had. I have tried it out on a few .338 Federal cases I had on my reloading bench.

It works well. No more stiff, tired fingers or wrists from prepping a large number of cases. I cast and reload for the 7mm-08 and the .338 Federal. Both nice shooters.

I love it when a plan comes together, even plans that are poorly executed!:bigsmyl2:

Here are a couple pics. The whole thing is large. But I have room for it in my shop. And the surplus case was the right price and strong. And it gives me room to work on the cases with a steady hand.

MichiganMike153654153655