PDA

View Full Version : Questions About Ruger M-77 Scope Rings

Jeff82
11-18-2015, 11:18 AM
I've got a quick question about the scope rings for my Ruger M-77/357. It looks like the design of the rings should allow for dismounting and remounting of the scope from the rifle without requiring re-sighting. Is this true, or am I wrong about this? There are times when I'd like to shoot with the buckhorn sights.

Uncle R.
11-18-2015, 11:28 AM
I've got a quick question about the scope rings for my Ruger M-77/357. It looks like the design of the rings should allow for dismounting and remounting of the scope from the rifle without requiring re-sighting. Is this true, or am I wrong about this? There are times when I'd like to shoot with the buckhorn sights.

Yes.
You can remove and remount the scope and the zero should not change.
Should not change.
Usually.
Or at least not change much.
On a 3 minute rifle I doubt you'd notice any change.
On a 1/4 minute rifle I suspect you would.

I know that's something of an it all depends answer.
Hope it helps anyway.

Uncle R.

Doc Highwall
11-18-2015, 11:53 AM
I have done a lot of smallbore target shooting where you have to switch from iron sights to any sights meaning you can use your iron sights or switch to a scope.

I always switch to a scope and this is what I have found that works best for me. It makes no difference on how you take the scope off, but it matters how you put it back on. I will just snug the rings on to the bases, and then tighten both at the same time with as equal pressure as I can. The loss of zero is very negligible.

pietro
11-18-2015, 12:09 PM

The Ruger's scope mount "bases" are integral with the receiver, and not add-ons.

My Ruger's get very close to the original zero due to the way I install a scope/ring combination.

BEFORE placing the scope in the rings, I mount the lower half of the rings onto the receiver, but due to manufacturing tolerances, always remove any possible slop via pushing the front ring half forward while tightening the attachment screw's knob; and likewise bias the rear ring bottom towards the buttstock - this ensures that, when R&R'd, the rings will be in the same position as they were prior to the R&R.

It's only after the ring bottoms are so attached to the receiver, that I place the scope in the ring bottoms.

Before I attach the ring's upper half, I degrease all screw threads (ring bottoms & screw threads).

I then lightly attach the ring tops, checking first for the proper eye relief (slide the scope forward/backward while holding the rifle as if firing), then plumb the reticle to the top dead center of the bore before zipping up the installation by fully tightening the ring top's screws.

Once everything's kosher, I remove every ring top screw one-at-a-time, & apply a single drop of Loctite (thread locker - blue liquid in a red bottle) to the threads of each screw, retightening each screw as it's treated.

Jeff82
11-18-2015, 05:26 PM
Your answers are very helpful. I don't mind having to re-zero for minor variations (say 1/2 mil or so) due to dismounting and remounting, but wouldn't want to have to completely re-sight the scope.

Thanks.