PDA

View Full Version : Ready for white tails

labradigger1
11-17-2015, 02:00 PM
Picked up a nice unmodified Carl gustafs m96 long rifle a couple weeks ago and loaded up some new ammo for it last evening.
6.5x55, win brass, 140 grain nosler partitions, 40 grains imr 4350. I am awaiting delivery of a no drill scope mount to mount a pistol ler scope and still need to sight it in before our Wva deer season starts next Monday. I think I am going to use this old girl the opening day and a krag the second day. I am in need of a little nostalgia in my life.
Lab

EMC45
11-17-2015, 03:45 PM
Perfect! Killed my first deer with an iron-sighted unmodded Mosin M91 made by New England Westinghouse. Load was 150gr. Speer Hot-Cor over 52gr. IMR-4350. Worked a treat!

DrCaveman
11-18-2015, 02:51 AM
Deer season starting now? Are does included? Man, you guys must have some substantial feeding plots maintained to keep the population up. Out here, such a late hunt date would decimate the buck population quickly and then no more deer to hunt for anyone. Funny how the "wild west" is not nearly as wild as the totally overpopulated heartland. Blame the socialialists, right

leadman
11-18-2015, 03:10 AM
Gun season in Michigan starts on Nov. 15. The fall before I left in 1981 the DNR said there was an estimated 1 million hunters in the woods. I did almost get shot on opening day which was a Saturday.

Good luck to the OP on his hunt.

labradigger1
11-18-2015, 06:34 AM
Our rifle deer season opens the Monday of thanksgiving week, it's been this way as long as I remember.

white eagle
11-18-2015, 07:47 AM
our season opens the weekend before Thanksgiving
its been that way since I can remember and I have
been hunting these northern woodland whitetails for 46 years

Hickory
11-18-2015, 08:18 AM
Gun season in Michigan starts on Nov. 15. I did almost get shot on opening day.

There are a lot of "sound hunters" in Michigan.

rondog
11-18-2015, 08:40 AM
There are a lot of "sound hunters" in Michigan.
A friend of mine lost his little brother to either a "sound hunter" or a "spotlighter". Walking his dog by the woods at dusk, killed by a rifle shot. Maple Rapids, Michigan.

Hickok
11-18-2015, 08:54 AM
Our rifle deer season opens the Monday of thanksgiving week, it's been this way as long as I remember.lab hoping you get a nice one next week.

I will be down the road aways from you near Buchannon overlooking some wooded oak and nice fields with my old pre-64 Model 70 .300 H&H. I can have deer pop up from very close to about 450 yards out, and the old Winchester has always got the job done.

(I too use Noslers, for my long range hunting rounds, they are totally reliable)

Have a good hunt, as next week is a state wide holiday as you well know!

blackthorn
11-18-2015, 01:16 PM
How long does your season run?

Hickok
11-18-2015, 01:27 PM
How long does your season run?We get 2 weeks for rifle season.

blackthorn
11-19-2015, 01:32 PM
We get 2 weeks for rifle season.

That is the same as where I grew up in Manitoba, (1950's) (don't know what they have now) but here in BC we get seasons tailored to the management area we want to hunt. Seasons for specie/gender (Mule or White-tail) vary. Some areas have very limited (draw only) and some have no deer season at all. Season opens in early September and typically starts with a 4 point and better (point count is on one side), then we get a period of "any buck", followed by a final 4 point and better only, to the end of season. End of season is usually around the end of November.

Seeker
11-19-2015, 07:31 PM
Here in Pa. Buck season opens the Mon. after Thanksgiving for 2weeks. The first week is buck only with a point restriction of at least 3 points on one side. The 2nd week is buck and doe combined. That is the general season here.There are other variations in other WMUs throughout the state. Soon we'll need a degree to read and understand the game laws.