PDA

View Full Version : NOE 309-169-FN in Semiautos

dilly
11-16-2015, 03:11 PM
http://noebulletmolds.com/NV/product_info.php?products_id=1846

I'd had a good deal of trouble finding a good 30 caliber bullet to cycle when powder coated because it adds dimensions to the nose, but I think I've finally found a good one. So far I've only loaded it for 300 Blackout and it feeds really well in that. When I get around to it I hope to load a batch for my M1A in 308 as well.

I did have to seat them pretty deep though because of the powder coat. I double coated 8 dummy rounds and got them to cycle, which should give me a safety margin for reliability since I shoot single coated bullets. You don't know how tired I was getting of bullets getting stuck chambered in the firearm, and yes I realize 8 dummy rounds is a lot.

http://noebulletmolds.com/NV/images/N.O.E._Bullet_Moulds_309-169-FN_(GC)_169_gr_Sketch.Jpg

I also want to add that this is my first custom mold; I've had quite a few Lee molds and a couple of Saeco molds as well. I've had some good Lee molds, some bad ones, and everything in between. Saeco molds are very nice but they didn't offer me a design that was particularly interesting, because I am somewhat adverse to bore riders. The NOE mold is of excellent quality and produces great bullets.

14.7gr W296 cycles the action for me on my 300 BLK mini 14. I'm hesitant to give a true accuracy based range report because I'm not sure my eyes are up to the task of distinguishing equipment's limitations over my own shortcomings.

wmitty
11-16-2015, 07:00 PM
What's the twist rate on your 300 BLK? That is a good looking boolit b.c. wise; what is the as cast diameter with your alloy?

dilly
11-16-2015, 07:48 PM
I've got a 1:7 twist. You're right; everything I've read about it says it's got a great ballistic coefficient for a cast bullet.

They cast .309 by my uselessly cheap micrometer.

dilly
11-18-2015, 02:05 PM
I got to inspecting my micrometer and, measuring a couple jacketed bullets and accepting them as standards I'd say my micrometer is working but my sizing dies from Lee are off. Go figure.

Reasonably confident in the .309 measurement, long story short. Alloy is 4:1 range scrap to linotype.