PDA

View Full Version : New 45 / 70 shooter questions...

Victor N TN
11-14-2015, 06:59 PM
Hey guys,
I have learned a lot about casting here. Although I first started casting in 1981 for pistols, I never had any "education" in casting. I just followed a Lyman's Handbook. I have cast and shot 38 / 357, 9mm, 45 acp all in pistols & revolvers. And 44 mag in revolver and lever action carbine.

But now I have ordered a 45/70. This is a cartridge I have never handloaded for. Much less cast bullets for.

Tell me your opinions on different bullet designs and weights, as well as your favorite loads. I started handloading in 1972. I have a little experience at it.

Thanks in advance,
Victor N TN

Hickok
11-14-2015, 07:08 PM
I can tell this much about my Marlin 1895 45/70, when I start loading 400 gr cast boolits above 1500-1600FPS, the misery starts to overcome the joy!

I finally settled on the Lyman # 457643 boolit in my Marlin lever action, as it was actually designed to function through this rifle, has the correct over all length, proper crimping groove and a good wide meplat. Does great in my Marlin.

A lot depends on the type of 45/70 you are reloading and casting for.

country gent
11-14-2015, 07:12 PM
Some more information is needed. WHat 45-70 did you order? A lever action ( shorter allowable oal restricting bullets length wieght.) a Single shot breech loader? ( Shraps, browning, H&R). Whats is the twist rate in the barrel, this determines bullet selections as well. The 45-70 is easy to load and perfoms as good today as in the 1870s. A softer alloy bullet 20-1 lead tin will perform very nicely. There are many desighns that also do very well. The Lyman 457125 roundnose at 510 grns is a standard performer but may be long for lever actions. The 535 grn Lyman postell perfoms well at longer ranges. the "money" bullets do well. In lighter rifles, rifles with slower twists, or plinking a 405-420 grn bullet may be a better choice. Buffalo arms, trac of the wolf, and others offer cast bullets for sale, consider buying 50 each of several styles test and see what the new rifle likes and then buy your mould. Maybe put a wanted add up in swapping and selling and see if members will help you with some "test" bullets.

Victor N TN
11-14-2015, 08:14 PM
The Marlin 1895 Guide w/ big loop lever. It has the laminated stocks. But not the stainless metal that I had wanted.

Thanks a lot for the information up already.

Markbo
11-14-2015, 09:10 PM
That old staple "you'll ha e to try it in your gun and see" defined hugely applies. Country gives good advice. Try some different store bought then decide. I personally stopped shooting the heavy bullets except in an 1885 hi wall that just prefers them.

A 300gr lead slug at moderate velocity​ will go through almost any game animal in the U.S. Any more equals shoulder damage. On the game and the shooter! ;) I am not recoil shy and still hunt with heavy +/or hot loads but it is no fun at the bench. Those moderate loads are.

69daytona
11-14-2015, 10:15 PM
Took my brother sold Marlin 1895 cowboy ut today, gun is like new, he has only shot a box of 20 through it. I had a bunch of 405 and NOEs 330 gchp and Sierra 330 jhp, ran 100 rounds through it and two groups at 100 yards could be covered with a 50 cent piece each, all were loaded to shoot at 1600fps through my 15" encore pistol.
It was very comfortable to shoot, have to try the 530 gr one at a time next.
405 are plain base, had no leading. Used I really 3031 in all.

Victor N TN
11-15-2015, 12:35 AM
Hickock,

What kind of drop do you have at 200, 300 and 400 yards? Do you use a scope or the iron sites?

Thanks again.
Victor

Hickok
11-15-2015, 03:32 PM
Hickock,

What kind of drop do you have at 200, 300 and 400 yards? Do you use a scope or the iron sites?

Thanks again.
VictorVictor, sad to say I have never shot my Marlin at those distances. I use it as a woods rifle and zero dead on 100 yards. I have an older Burris straight 4 power scope on it. My Marlin has the Ballard rifling, and is amazingly accurate. Believe what 69Daytona said in his post about the 1895 accuracy.

I hold off telling people how well my Marlin 1895 groups, as they would call me a liar.

Scharfschuetze
11-15-2015, 07:34 PM

Well, it's no varmint rifle. When on my annual road trips back home, I shoot out to extended range with my Trapdoor Springfields: Up to 1,000 yards. My most used loads duplicate the original cavalry and infantry loads.

So with the original infantry load (45/70/405) at 1,300 fps, you'll be looking at a trajectory that somewhat imitates a rainbow. The rear sight range scales on my original Trapdoors using the pre 1884 sights follow this pretty closely.

Here are some approximates for the 405 grain boolit at about 1,300 fps:

100 yards: Zero
200 yards: Plus 6 to 7 MOA
300 yards: Plus 11 MOA
400 yards: Plus 15 MOA

These are approximate as I don't know your choice of boolit or velocity, but they'll give you an idea of what goes on at extended range with the old war horse.

I use iron sights exclusively with the 45/70. The issue sights on original Trapdoors and the Lyman Model 66 aperture sight on my Marlin 1895 are most used, but my replica H&R Trapdoor uses a wrist mounted aperture sight.

Victor N TN
11-15-2015, 10:32 PM
I have a Leupold 2.5 to 10 and also a Leupold Benchrest scope 36XD. I'll probably mount a scope on it for testing loads. The paper says it's already drilled and tapped for scope mounts. For ACTUAL hunting it will be open sites.

Know anyone that makes butt stock ammo holders? Bandoleers maybe...?

Thanks for all the information. I appreciate it.

Victor

44man
11-16-2015, 09:23 AM
I can only say too heavy a boolit or 4198 will get you shoulder surgery. 3031 was pleasant even with 500 gr boolits but 4198 with a 405 gr was a face buster.

white eagle
11-16-2015, 09:46 AM
I have the same gun as you
its way more accurate than the remlin nay sayer's think
as Hickok eluded to
I also have a Ruger #1 in same cal and shoot that more
can't give you any load info cause I just don't remember
off hand but the Ruger will take a heavier charge

rush1886
11-16-2015, 09:48 AM
Do some web searching and come up with 2 books: "40 years with the 45-70, Revised Edition", by Paul Matthews, and "Handloaders Digest, New 7th addition". Ken Waters has a fantastic article on the 45-70's, in that 7th Edition. It is long out of print, I believe, and may take some effort to locate a copy, but well worth it. The Paul Matthews book is available currently, I believe, on Amazon.

My 7th Edition, I purchased in or around 1976, if memory serves. If an online search is skinny, check out local gunshows.

Frank V
11-16-2015, 12:26 PM
Victor you are going to enjoy that .45-70. I'd suggest you pick up a copy of Lyman's Cast Bullet Handbook & the Lyman Reloading Handbook 49th Edition. The Cast bullet handbook deals with strictly cast bullets & the 49th edition has data for both jacketed & cast.
IMR3031, H4198, Varget, H322, H335, IMR4895, IMR4198, & a number of other powders work very well in the .45-70.
Good shooting grab those manuals they have a world of information that is pressure tested & safe!

Victor N TN
11-16-2015, 05:20 PM
I have both of those books. I started with a 1969 version, 45th edition of Lyman's. I believe them heartily.

It just so happens I have some IMR 3031. I have a lot more of IMR-4895 and H-322 and IMR 4198... But I do have a couple of pounds of 3031. Thanks for that little hint.

Thanks guys. I appreciate all the help.
Victor

Victor you are going to enjoy that .45-70. I'd suggest you pick up a copy of Lyman's Cast Bullet Handbook & the Lyman Reloading Handbook 49th Edition. The Cast bullet handbook deals with strictly cast bullets & the 49th edition has data for both jacketed & cast.
IMR3031, H4198, Varget, H322, H335, IMR4895, IMR4198, & a number of other powders work very well in the .45-70.
Good shooting grab those manuals they have a world of information that is pressure tested & safe!

ChristopherO
11-16-2015, 06:18 PM
I recommend the Accurate Molds 460C 405 grain boolit mold. This will be my first season to hunt with a 4570 but I've never had a milk jug explode so spectacularly at 100 and 150 yards than I have with this boolit. Right now my hunting loads are clocking approximately 1,600fps out of my cowboy action. Skinner sites adorn my particular rifle. It has taken me a little over a month of Sunday afternoons to get my load and sites adjusted but as of this past weekend 2 shots were touching and one just hovering over those two. I am confident a deer can be kilt with it, now.
The lever edges come from the factory sharp. I dressed the edge of mine with a file and sandpaper. Big improvement. It is not hard to slick the trigger up, either. Follow the instructions carefully but best accuracy can be obtained this way. I am not shy working on my guns, you may be. If so have someone help you. It is worth it. Fun gun and great caliber that you will like.

stubert
11-17-2015, 09:53 AM
I shoot a 350 grain NOE bullet with 49 grains of 3031 in Starline cases. very accurate. Not so bad on the shoulder. Should drop anything in North America. Going up to 52 grains opened up the group from .7" to 1.9" @ 25 yards with a peep.

Frank V
11-17-2015, 12:48 PM
I have both of those books. I started with a 1969 version, 45th edition of Lyman's. I believe them heartily.

It just so happens I have some IMR 3031. I have a lot more of IMR-4895 and H-322 and IMR 4198... But I do have a couple of pounds of 3031. Thanks for that little hint.

Thanks guys. I appreciate all the help.
Victor

If you have 4198 IMR or H, that's what I'd start with. Using H4198 I'm getting great accuracy, & just over 1400fps with the Rem. 405gr JSP & only a 6fps E.S. It's a fun load & plenty powerful for anything but dangerous game.
It's a low Marlin level load too!. Haven't tried 4895, but it's in the proper burn rate for the .45-70. IMR3031 is a great powder for the .45-70 too. Sounds like you are pretty well set up, let your gun tell you what it likes, it will!;)

Victor N TN
11-17-2015, 02:46 PM
I'm almost embarrassed to ask. But would any of you be interested in selling or loaning me a couple of dozen bullets until I can make up my mind about what design / molds I want to get? I'll either pay you back in money or with bullets I cast when I get the molds.

While I like the idea of the knock down of a big heavy bullet, I also want something I can shoot without creating a bad flinch. My S&W 629 w/ 6" barrel had me flinching BAD for a while. I finally did some practicing with full power loads (240 grain cast / GC and a healthy dose of IMR 4227) and the same bullet with a 3.5 grain weight of IMR 700X. This created a load that is about as bad on recoil as a 38 "target" store bought round. It sure showed me that I was in deed flinching BIG time. I hate it when I flinch. Almost as bad as slapping the trigger shooting benchrest.

Thanks again for all the help guys. I really appreciate it.
Victor

Victor N TN
11-17-2015, 03:02 PM
I just realized I haven't even told you what I have ordered. Here's a copy & paste.
Marlin Model 1895 Guide Big Loop Centerfire Rifle

Big Loop Finger Lever for Gloved Use

American Pistol Grip Laminate Stock

Ventilated Recoil Pad

Adjustable Semi-Buckhorn Rear Sight

Wide-Scan Hooded Front Sight

http://www.marlinfirearms.com/ It's the second one down from the top. It's the big loop lever with the wood colored laminate stocks. They said it would be here probably Saturday.

smkummer
11-17-2015, 03:33 PM
Victor, my shooting buddy has the same gun without the big loop lever. He likes my 22", 1/2 magazine tube, pistol grip Marlin 1895 better. He manly shoots trapdoor loads due to recoil with his shorter gun. And this is range shooting. Like others have said, the 300-350 grain (I am shooting 350 grain because I have the mold) do what needs to be done with a 45-70 without hurting the shoulder much at all. So I am shooting that 350 grain bullet out at 1300 FPS and it works great hitting 200 yard steel plates.

Victor N TN
11-17-2015, 08:41 PM
Do some web searching and come up with 2 books: "40 years with the 45-70, Revised Edition", by Paul Matthews, and "Handloaders Digest, New 7th addition". Ken Waters has a fantastic article on the 45-70's, in that 7th Edition. It is long out of print, I believe, and may take some effort to locate a copy, but well worth it. The Paul Matthews book is available currently, I believe, on Amazon.

My 7th Edition, I purchased in or around 1976, if memory serves. If an online search is skinny, check out local gunshows.

I found the book, "40 years with the 45/70" on Amazon. It'll be delivered in a week or two. Thanks for the recommendation.

Markbo
11-17-2015, 08:46 PM
Dang, we're all going to be coming to you for advise pretty soon! :D

Victor N TN
11-17-2015, 09:32 PM
I doubt that. I DO have a small library on a lot of more modern firearms and ammunition. I have never counted them. But probably between 500 and 700 books. Some of the older books have been stacked in plastic tubs and stored in the "garage" my workshop. Here in my little office I have access to maybe 150 to 200.

But I have this problem. I've been put to sleep so many times in the last 30 years, things don't STAY in my mind. On top of that, my Mom and her Mom had Alzheimer Disease. My wife jokingly says I have selective "some timers" disease. I'm scared crapless that she may be closer to right than she thinks.

If anyone want to holler at me, please feel free to email me: johnsonvw1911@gmail.com I try to check my email 3 or 4 times a day. If I'm in the hospital, which is often, I'll try to catch up as soon as I can.

Thanks again for all the help.
Victor

Victor N TN
11-17-2015, 11:35 PM
Another question. When I slug a barrel or cast a chamber with bismuth, I know where to look for the dimension I need. Does anyone know if Marlin uses a straight through barrel or if they are taper lapped like a benchrest barrel? I guess what I want to ask is which end of the barrel do I need to slug to figure the sizing die size?

Thanks in advance.
Victor

longbow
11-18-2015, 12:09 AM
While I don't see it mentioned in this thread or many others, I had a Lyman 457124 385 gr. round nose mould and that boolit shot very well in my 1970's vintage Marlin 1895. It wouldn't be the best boolit for hunting but it certainly shot well for me. I preferred it to the Lee 405 gr.

And for 44man, my .45-70 shooting started out with a Siamese Mauser conversion in the mid '70's and being a frugal lad I looked up all the .45-70 loads I could find (stout Siamese Mauser pressure loads of course and for 500 grain bullet) and found the most economical full power load I could which was a rather hefty charge of IMR4227 under a 500 gr. "J" bullet which of course I replaced with a Lyman 457125 500 gr. boolit. Possibly not coincidentally, I do not see that load listed anymore. That load came form my old Hornady manual. While I didn't get flattened primers or other pressure signs I have to say it was unpleasant to shoot and I am sure was pretty high pressure.

If you think 4198 has recoil, try 4227!!!! OUCH! I had loaded about 100 rounds and shot them with no recoil pad so had a purple shoulder for a while. Subsequently I had a Pachmayr triple magnum recoil pad installed and went to IMR4320. It took much more powder to achieve the same velocity but recoil was more of a push than an extremely unpleasant jab.

Later I bought the Marlin 1895 and I stuck with Marlin level loads of slower powders in both guns and had much more fun. BP loads in the Marlin were also a lot of fun with the Lyman 457124.

Should I get another .45-70 (don't have one now) I think i would get three moulds:

- collar button for plinking and fun shooting
- a 300 to 350 gr. RNFP or maybe HP boolit for general all purpose shooting
- a heavy weight boolit of 400 or more grains for longer range and more oomph should I want it (you just can't have too many moulds)

I think there are some good reasons the 330 gr. Gould was a popular boolit.

Longbow

Hickok
11-18-2015, 08:21 AM
I found the book, "40 years with the 45/70" on Amazon. It'll be delivered in a week or two. Thanks for the recommendation.Victor, I have read through my copy of that book several times. Mr. Mathews really likes the Gould HP boolit for deer hunting.

Just for reference my Marlin is an older "JM" model with a 22 barrel and half tube magazine with Ballard rifling. The groves in my barrel slug out to .4567"-.4568" as near as I can mike them after driving a pure lead round ball through the barrel. No taper lap found in my barrel. I have heard of some fellows finding a slight barrel constriction where the rear sight dovetail is cut into the barrel, but I have no found that to be true with my rifle.

44man
11-18-2015, 08:59 AM
I can say for sure the 45-70 can be like a .458! Even my 12# BPCR has blackened my shoulder with BP loads. I dared not shoot prone without the shoulder pad.
I have shot a friends stainless Guide gun with CA loads and it was pleasant but I would never shoot my loads out of it.
My revolver loads with a 317 gr boolit and 4759 are a pleasure from a rifle.
I shot an original rifle, don't remember if it was a rolling block or trap door, been too long ago. But the 4198 loads the gunsmith put together for him using the 405 gr would smash my face so I was afraid of my 500 gr loads with 3031 but they were very nice and super accurate. My revolver boolit poked one hole at 50 yards but too low for the sights, the 500 was right on and the 405 was very high on the paper. He shot many deer with my 500 gr.
Yes, powder choice can affect recoil. Even if velocity is close, there is a difference.
Some things will make you dance and say "ouch."
I am not too concerned with recoil and the Weatherby's, .338 and .375's never bothered me but I have shot a few light rifles in big bores that recoiled so bad that off hand the barrels were straight up. I have limits too.
I still remember the two brothers in the army that every time they shot the M1 their helmet liner would fly off and bounce across the ground. I shot rifle grenades from my shoulder.
Push the little marlin and you will learn new dance steps! :bigsmyl2:

Victor N TN
11-18-2015, 02:00 PM
About 10 years ago I had a benchrest gunsmith build me a 300 WinMag for long range hunting out west. I was still making some money and had traded machine work for the receiver and a few other parts. After I mounted the scope and took it to the range I got it on paper in 3 rounds and another 3 got it sighted in at 100. I decided to leave off the 165s and go to the 210s. These were all factory loads. I found out real quick the 210s beat up my shoulder from a rest and bags. If I can stand the pain... hahaha I can put 5 shots just under 1/2" at 100 yards from the rest. But it made me flinch like crazy.

It's a lighter rifle with a 26" slim Hart hunting barrel, and a lighter newer version Remington wooden stock. I found that when I sling it right and shoot it from kneeling position, I can put 5 shots just inside 2" at 100 yards. I'm satisfied with that until I actually get to where I can hunt some longer ranges and NOT have to take a 2nd mortgage on the house.

Frank V
11-19-2015, 07:58 PM
Victor

Don't let people scare you about the recoil. If you start with say a 405gr bullet, use light to mid Trapdoor level loads (1200-1400fps) you should get good accuracy & mild recoil. Especially if you stay in the 1200-1300fps range. I have a load using IMR3031 & a 405gr cast bullet that gives me great accuracy & 1088fps. This is a pleasant load.
Enjoy,
Sorry to hear you are in & out of the hospital!

map55b
11-19-2015, 11:28 PM
I built a 45-70 on a Siamese a few months back. I get a lot of pleasure shooting a Lee 350gr cast over 12 grains of Unique. Easy on the shoulder and seems pretty accurate.

hickfu
11-19-2015, 11:37 PM
I have 4 different molds for the 45-70.... 350gr GC, 405gr PB, 430gr GC, 540gr GC I had Tom at Accurate Molds make them up years ago and now he makes just about any weight and PB or GC that you would want with this nose profile.
They are all the same, except length (weight) and I love them all. Im going to cast some of the 350's and 540s up and probably sell those molds. I pretty much only shoot the 430gr and I keep the 405gr just in case I run out of GC's

SSGOldfart
11-20-2015, 05:21 PM
Lots of good info in this thread,I went and got a 45/70Government barrel for my encore humm them are some big cases, it's been years since I shoot any 45/70 rounds I plan to work up a plinking load&a whitetail deer load,,without letting recoil push me away from the range.

SSGOldfart
11-20-2015, 05:25 PM
I have 4 different molds for the 45-70.... 350gr GC, 405gr PB, 430gr GC, 540gr GC I had Tom at Accurate Molds make them up years ago and now he makes just about any weight and PB or GC that you would want with this nose profile.
They are all the same, except length (weight) and I love them all. Im going to cast some of the 350's and 540s up and probably sell those molds. I pretty much only shoot the 430gr and I keep the 405gr just in case I run out of GC's

Hey Doc shoot me a pm when you decide to sell them molds,Please

Frank V
11-20-2015, 09:42 PM
Pretty bullets Doc.

Hickok
11-21-2015, 08:44 AM
Doc, does the profile of those boolits feed well in the Marlin 1895?

Victor N TN
11-24-2015, 03:55 PM
WOW !!!

My Christmas has come early. Mail Man just left the book "40 years with the 45-70" and a big box from Midway with brass, bullets, dies and shellholders. I may actually be able to crank out a few rounds in the next few days.

The bullets are 300 grain gas check design. In the Lyman's Cast Bullet book in the Trapdoor Springfield section they have an accurate load with a 300 grain and IMR 3031.

Victor N TN
11-24-2015, 04:00 PM
Well... I misspoke. The bullet listed in the Lyman's Cast Handbook #4 listed under the Springfield section is a 330 grain with IMR 3031, 43.0 grains at 1338 fps and 10,600 CUP of pressure.

I'll keep looking for a good load with the 300 grain bullet and IMR-3031. I'll post what I find and how it shoots.

Thanks to everyone that's been helping me along with this.
Victor

Frank V
11-24-2015, 10:43 PM
Victor
Keep at it you WILL find the load you & your rifle like.
Your rifle will tell you.

Victor N TN
11-24-2015, 11:48 PM
I MAY load a few and take it to the range over the weekend. Thursday is reserved for family. Since my wife and I both have been in the hospital recently and she is still hitting on 3 or 4 cylinders, our baby daughter, the school teacher, is going to fix Thanksgiving lunch for us this year.

Le Loup Solitaire
11-25-2015, 12:33 AM
The 45-70 has been around for a very long time and lots of combinations of powders and bullets exist that you can choose from. A fair question would be what do you want to do with it. The original US Army load was with a 500 grain bullet and they then went to a 405 grain because of the excess recoil. Even with 405 grainers moving up from MV's over 1200fps the recoil starts to be more of a factor and can become pretty rough on you. I personally use the Lyman 457124 which casts for me at around 385 grains and I keep the mv down around 1200 fps so that I can shoot for a while and not get battered around too much...even then after a while the shoulder gets sore. if you need higher performance you can always go "up", but especially with 500 grain bullets the kick can be punishing. LLS

Hickok
11-25-2015, 08:07 AM
Good advice Le Loup.

For those fella's shooting 400 gr boolits @ 1800-1900fps out of a Marlin 1895 off a bench rest,...... as a Southern gentleman, I doft my hat, salute you, and surrender my sword, the field is yours.

Victor N TN
11-25-2015, 01:14 PM
I have some 300 grain bullets I bought, and IMR-3031. I would like to keep the MV between 1200 and 1400 fps. At least until I get used to the rifle. Eventually I want to be able to shoot 405 bullets or maybe work up to 500+. But fast approaching 65 years old and bad arthritis in most major joints, demand I start out low and slow until I get more used to the recoil. 5 years without shooting any long guns more than 22 caliber have turned me into a softie.

MOA
11-25-2015, 05:33 PM
Well I will pass on my 2 cents worth.
Your big loop is only 7.5 lbs. That is very light for this caliber without expecting to get wacked from recoil. I'm 65 with over use syndrome of both shoulders my 1895 XLR is heavier than the big loop, an I am thinking about a decelerator installation, just so I can shoot more often than shooting while hunting.

45-70 Chevroner
11-25-2015, 06:57 PM
Good advice Le Loup.

For those fella's shooting 400 gr boolits @ 1800-1900fps out of a Marlin 1895 off a bench rest,...... as a Southern gentleman, I doft my hat, salute you, and surrender my sword, the field is yours.
I'LL second that. I'm a pretty big fellow and I can handle some pretty stiff loads, but anyone that says it is fun to consistently shoot those kind of loads is full of horse pucky. It is what it is they plain hurt.

Frank V
11-25-2015, 10:36 PM
Recoil is very subjective. I think anyone who wants to can learn to handle moderate recoil.
I regularly shoot the Rem. 405gr JSP at just over 1400fps & find it pleasant.
For hunting I use the same bullet but at an actual chronographed 1720fps. From a standing rest or supported on my elbows over a rest it's tollerable, & I can shoot it from a bench rest enough to get good zeros & hit objects farther than 100yds. I don't consider it brutal maybe brisk, but not brutal.
Shooting heavy loads from a bench rest can be done, but you need to sit up pretty straight & I prefer to hold the forearm with my left hand & rest the back of my hand on the sandbags, this helps tame recoil.

Victor N TN
11-25-2015, 10:44 PM
I'm closing in on 65 pretty darn fast. While I absolutely love to hunt, my health problems have forbidden it the last 4 or 5 years. I would love to get down to a few comfortable shooting loads that I could even take plinking.

Of course I still have dreams of hunting BIG game. Maybe moose, caribou, elk, bison or even grizzly bear. But my head cuts in and asks "Just how silly some of my dreams are?" That's like the 300 WinMag I ad built. Same dreams... different rifle.

But a few COMFORTABLE plinking loads would tickle me pink.

Thanks again guys for all the wonderful advise.
Victor

murf205
11-25-2015, 10:59 PM
Good advice Le Loup.

I used to think that I was beating the trajectory rap by loading my 45/70 "warm". I was a member of this crowd at one time but it finally dawned on me that it's not how flat your rifle shoots but KNOWING how flat it shoots. If you keep the 400gr boolits to 1200-1400 fps, it will still shoot through any animal I can afford to hunt from any angle unless I hit a major bone and it will probably break them as well. At 1900 to 2000 fps you will not need to load as much ammo!!! It hurts, especially with a 1895 CB butt plate!
Murf205

Markbo
11-26-2015, 03:14 PM
Ain't nothing wrong with having a decelerator if you want one!

Duckiller
11-26-2015, 04:23 PM
Victor, I have a 1895 CB. With a 26" barrel it may be a little heavier than your gun. When I got it I wasn't sure what I wanted to shoot in it so I got two Lee moulds,330 and 405. Just to try it out. Have found no reason to get more moulds. Also tried Trail Boss powder, minimum loads. Works great. I am older than you and have had 4 heart attacks. Don't want to get beat up with heavy recoil so Trail Boss is great. Max loads of Trail Boss may give you hunting velocities. You are throwing a large blob of lead what weighs 300-400 grains. More than most thin skinned animals want to put up with. With the light Trail Boss loads I get fantastic penetration on soda cans, pumpkins and paper targets. Enjoy and don't get beat up!

Victor N TN
11-26-2015, 05:58 PM
Duckiller,

Thanks for that information. Right now I haven't ordered any molds for the 45-70. A friend of mine has mentioned shooting a cast bullet designed by Postel (?) I told him I would cast them for him if he would buy the mold and let me use it on occasion. I don't remember if his rifle is a "High Wall" or a "Low Wall". But he was shooting it at 1,000 yards. I'll probably have 2 or 3 molds. Somewhere around 250 grains, another in the 405 neighborhood and then 1 close to 500 grains.

Thanks to everyone for helping.
Victor

murf205
11-26-2015, 09:12 PM
Ain't nothing wrong with having a decelerator if you want one!

Probably right but I want to keep the rifle as close to original as possible. Although I don't think anyone could blame a guy for putting a pad on one--especially after a magazine full of full throttle 430 gr boolits!

gtgeorge
11-26-2015, 11:40 PM
I have always looked at myself as a person that enjoys recoil until I picked up an 1895 GG last year and was planning on pushing some 415gr bullets up around 1800+fps. At 1400 it was quite tolerable but when I carried a couple box assortment working up loads I gave out after firing a few at @1650. Shot a total of @75 rounds in that gun and @50 in the 35 Remington that day and decided I didn't want to try those that were loaded to push 1850-1900. My shoulder was sore for days and I disassembled the rounds rather than suffer the pain and flinch from pulling the trigger. I felt like a lightweight and don't know if it's myself getting older or the 45-70 was kicking harder than anything else I had shot. Not me!

pjames32
11-26-2015, 11:50 PM
I shoot an NOE350gr from my 1895 at about 1200fps. It's accurate to 200 yds and not bad for this old guy to shoot. YMMV
PJ

Lead Fred
11-27-2015, 01:53 AM
Since we are talkin 1895 Marlins and not single shots, Id like to ad:

I have a bucket of 45/70 molds, 3 rifles, which only one is a lever. (other two being single shots)
I use only ONE mould for the lever.

Now made by NOE, the dino killer boolit:

Big meplat means big damage.
Backed with 42gr Reloader 7, @ 1750fps, it is one nasty round.
38gr is more manageable, but not as nearly as much fun.
Tumble lubed with X-Lox, aint seen no leading yet

and a Limb saver 10003 is your friend

Wardo1974
11-27-2015, 08:57 AM
Great info in this thread. My .45-70s are my favourite rifles, hands-down.

A few things:

1.) I'm surprised at all this commentary about recoil. If you've fired a 12 gauge, you've experienced stout .45-70 recoil. Remington 405 grain factory loads are pussycats and will still take out any game you'd encounter in North America. If you were pushing that bullet at 1700, 1800 fps or more though, then yeah, it gets pretty rough and it's totally unnecessary.

2.) I'm of the belief that the .45-70 was designed to be used with big bullets. If I want 300 grains I'll use a different round. My two .45-70s are the most accurate (and fun to shoot) with nice big bullets at moderate velocity.

3.) I am using right now a 415 grain soft lead bullet overtop 34 grains of IMR 4198. It's about 1450-1500 fps, and I can shoot this round all day long - I experience what seems like very little recoil. My .38-55 with 32 grains of 3031 with a 255 grain bullet actually kicks harder, more sharply than this does.

A few weeks ago I shot a bear while deer hunting with this load - it was running, and I managed to hit it 4 times. The bullets completely penetrated and exited the bear from every angle I shot it from, and the chest shot that ultimately killed it, upon inspection, was hugely damaging to the animal. Lungs were mush. All this from an easy-kicking 415 grain bullet.

4.) For reloading this round, try reading Ken Waters' Pet Loads for the .45-70. His writing on this and many other calibres is the starting point for me and I'm sure you'd find it very beneficial.

Have fun with your rifle, it's one of the great ones.

Frank V
11-27-2015, 11:52 AM
Great info in this thread. My .45-70s are my favourite rifles, hands-down.

A few things:

1.) I'm surprised at all this commentary about recoil. If you've fired a 12 gauge, you've experienced stout .45-70 recoil. Remington 405 grain factory loads are pussycats and will still take out any game you'd encounter in North America. If you were pushing that bullet at 1700, 1800 fps or more though, then yeah, it gets pretty rough and it's totally unnecessary.

2.) I'm of the belief that the .45-70 was designed to be used with big bullets. If I want 300 grains I'll use a different round. My two .45-70s are the most accurate (and fun to shoot) with nice big bullets at moderate velocity.

3.) I am using right now a 415 grain soft lead bullet overtop 34 grains of IMR 4198. It's about 1450-1500 fps, and I can shoot this round all day long - I experience what seems like very little recoil. My .38-55 with 32 grains of 3031 with a 255 grain bullet actually kicks harder, more sharply than this does.

A few weeks ago I shot a bear while deer hunting with this load - it was running, and I managed to hit it 4 times. The bullets completely penetrated and exited the bear from every angle I shot it from, and the chest shot that ultimately killed it, upon inspection, was hugely damaging to the animal. Lungs were mush. All this from an easy-kicking 415 grain bullet.

4.) For reloading this round, try reading Ken Waters' Pet Loads for the .45-70. His writing on this and many other calibres is the starting point for me and I'm sure you'd find it very beneficial.

Have fun with your rifle, it's one of the great ones.

:goodpost::2_high5:

I've pretty much found the same thing. My hunting load is heavier, but I'm using 33-35grs of H4198 with the Rem. 405gr JSP & getting in the low to mid 1400s. For an everyday load they are kind of fun to shoot & I wouldn't hesitate to shoot even an Elk with them. Bears???? well I'd like more clout, but when actually hunting I do use the heavier load.

Wardo1974
11-27-2015, 01:02 PM
:goodpost::2_high5:

I've pretty much found the same thing. My hunting load is heavier, but I'm using 33-35grs of H4198 with the Rem. 405gr JSP & getting in the low to mid 1400s. For an everyday load they are kind of fun to shoot & I wouldn't hesitate to shoot even an Elk with them. Bears???? well I'd like more clout, but when actually hunting I do use the heavier load.

Well, this is pretty much the load I got my bear with and I wouldn't hesitate to do it again. Every shot exited the body with a traumatic wound channel...much more violent than I thought, actually.

45-70 Chevroner
11-27-2015, 02:25 PM
I'm closing in on 65 pretty darn fast. While I absolutely love to hunt, my health problems have forbidden it the last 4 or 5 years. I would love to get down to a few comfortable shooting loads that I could even take plinking.

Of course I still have dreams of hunting BIG game. Maybe moose, caribou, elk, bison or even grizzly bear. But my head cuts in and asks "Just how silly some of my dreams are?" That's like the 300 WinMag I ad built. Same dreams... different rifle.

But a few COMFORTABLE plinking loads would tickle me pink.

Thanks again guys for all the wonderful advise.
Victor

A nice soft load is a 300 gr to 350 boolit with 13 gr Unique. This will corono at around 1200 plus and gives a nice push and 2 to 3 inch groups at a 100 yarda

Victor N TN
11-28-2015, 12:56 AM
And still a lot of good information in this thread. I want to thank everyone for putting your "pet" loads on here. I have never shot a 45-70. But now I own one. I shot a friend of mines 10 gauge magnum several shots back about 10 or 12 years ago. It did jar my sinus' loose. But nothing I couldn't handle a few times.

Thanks again for the excellent data.
Victor

Hickok
11-28-2015, 07:07 AM
Victor, before you start reloading and casting, get a box of Remington factory 405 gr. 45/70 cartridges. There are easy on the shoulder, and out of my Marlin they chronograph 1215fps. The old blackpowder loads were nearly the same, running about 1200-1300 fps. The factory 300 gr HPs are not bad as to recoil either. For me, it was when I pushed the 400 gr reloads up to 1800+fps,:groner:

snowtigger
11-28-2015, 08:36 AM
I have a Marlin 1895SS with 22 in barrel. I killed one moose with it,so far. I used a Lyman 550 grain bullet. I don't remember the load as it was a while ago. One thing I can guarantee though, it was loaded to max by the book, but not past.
At 175 yards it went through and splashed water on the far side. He walked long enough to get out of the water and fell.
Shortly after I got this rifle, I put a decelerater pad on it and recoil has been very manageable.
The only load I ever backed away from was in a 458Win . Remington 405's loaded to the max. I loaded 20 and shot 8. The other twelve got recycled.
One day I realized that I had never had a rifle that didn't have magnum in it's name. I have since downloaded the 45/70 and picked up a 280 Rem. It is fun to shoot and still be able to see the target.....

rush1886
11-28-2015, 10:01 AM
Good advice Le Loup.

First, allow me to say, AMEN! Now, when Hornady came out with their first batch of Leverevolution ammo, several years ago, I picked up box of the 325 gr, IIRC, loads, just to see. In a 26" 1895 CB, those things promptly rattled away the few remaining fillings I still had in my teeth! These days, I stick with 350 to 405 gr cast, in the 1200-1400fps realm, and I'm totally happy. 9 dead elk, with 11 rounds fired, bear testament.

Victor N TN
11-28-2015, 10:17 AM
With talk that Grizzly bears have been released into the East Tennessee mountains, This MAY become my ride along rifle. A friend at a USDA office told me she heard that 4 had a;ready been released into White county. That's down west of Chattanooga. Roughly 80 to 100 miles from where I live. I wonder if I could get a permit for a Bazooka ???

rush1886
11-28-2015, 10:27 AM
With talk that Grizzly bears have been released into the East Tennessee mountains, This MAY become my ride along rifle. A friend at a USDA office told me she heard that 4 had a;ready been released into White county. That's down west of Chattanooga. Roughly 80 to 100 miles from where I live. I wonder if I could get a permit for a Bazooka ???

Sorry, no IMR 3031 data for a Bazooka!

MBTcustom
11-28-2015, 10:54 AM
My 45-70 load is 30 grains of IMR 4227 with a dacron filler, under the 350 Ranch Dog cast bullet running about 14BHN. It was traveling about 1650FPS, and I can shoot 50-100 of these (even with the steel butt plate) before I'm really ready to slap the mat.
I cleaned up with this load in my Browning 1886 this year, and it dropped every deer I shot with it. Had complete pass through with every shot, and the bullets lodged 4" deep in the pebbly soil behind the deer (I recovered two bullets from the ground). I wound up knocking over 5 deer in two days with this load. There were no flying body parts and little ruined meat unless I hit a bone which is pretty much par for the course, I don't care what you're shooting.
I wrote up the entire hunt in the hunting section.
Here's some pictures:

Bird
11-28-2015, 08:17 PM
In an 1886 miroku takedown,
405 grain plain based bullet 34grains of IMR4198. Comfoftable to shoot and very accurate.
405 remington bullet is also accurate with the above load. I tried a few pushed at velocities to 1800+fps. Never again.
300grain remington hp's and hornady 300's with 53grains of AA2200, about 2100fps, super accurate, but not pleasant to shoot after 20 rounds.
I think my rifle weighs in at a touch over 10lbs with a full magazine.

Frank V
11-28-2015, 09:58 PM
Well, this is pretty much the load I got my bear with and I wouldn't hesitate to do it again. Every shot exited the body with a traumatic wound channel...much more violent than I thought, actually.

Wardo1974, you were using the Rem. 405gr JSP? I really like this bullet it's VERY accurate in my rifle.

Victor N TN
11-29-2015, 11:06 AM
In everyone's valued opinion... What is the favorite cast BULLET with a flat nose for this cartridge weighing between 380 and 425 grains and having a gas check? And where can I get the mold?

Thanks again for everyone's input. I GREATLY appreciate everyone's ideas and opinions.
Victor

Frank V
11-29-2015, 09:04 PM
I'm interested too Victor.

snowtigger PM enroute about seating depth on the Lyman 550gr bullet.

Victor N TN
11-30-2015, 12:02 PM
Has anyone been in contact with NOE bullet molds? I have tried for 3 weeks to get ANY kind of contact with them. Even asking crazy questions. I finally joined their "Forum" part of the site. I ordered a 30 cal mold from them about 2 years ago and sent it on for hollow point additions.

Or anyone have an email for someone there directly?

Victor N TN
11-30-2015, 12:43 PM
I should add, the 30 cal mold works fine. I was interested in ordering a 45-70 mold in brass.

gtgeorge
11-30-2015, 01:43 PM
I have never had a problem when calling. Al usually answers the phone and you can tell he is very busy. Feel bad taking him away from work to answer the phone but it is a sure fire way to get in touch from my experience.

hickfu
12-01-2015, 12:43 AM
Sorry I havent replied before this guys, internet is kind of spotty where I am right now but will be better in a few days when I move into a new place.. Hopeing to get my casting gear out and operating!!!

SSGoldfart, I will let you know when I am going to get rid of those molds...
Frank V, Thanks!
Hickok, Yes they feed flawlessly in the 1895. When I got my 1895SBL and had it made into a WWG Co-Pilot I wanted a good bullet to shoot so I looked at the dimensions of the BTB's and had Tom make the nose profile and just add length for what ever weight I wanted. He now makes just about any weight you would need with the same nose profile (GC'd or PB)

They are extremely accurate and hit like a freight train.. Some where around here I have loads for these weights in quite a few different powders that I have tried.

Victor N TN
12-01-2015, 10:07 AM
For the 1895 Marlin, who shoots the 350 flat nose "Ranch Dog" bullet? What's your opinion on it? I noticed this morning that NOE Bullet Molds are on sale the next few days. I want to see what I can get going.

Thanks as always.
Victor

Wardo1974
12-07-2015, 11:21 PM
Nope...a pure lead RCBS mold 405. But because it was pure, it dropped at 415 or so. I powdercoated it and can shoot a ragged single hole at 25 yards with it out of my 1886. I like the big ones in the .45-70, no doubt.

rbuck351
12-08-2015, 01:32 AM
I just picked up a lightly used H&R 45/70 a few weeks ago which came with a bag of 350gr fairly hard boolits lubed with some fairly hard blue stuff. I also ordered the Lee 459-405 and the rest of the stuff I needed to shoot this gun. I wanted to try some light weight boolits as well but only had boolits for my 45acp. .452 aren't going to work in my 457 bore so I made a .4585 die for my Swag-O-Matic and squished a bunch of 210gr 452s into 4585s and loaded some with 10grs of unique and a few with 15grs of unique. I also cast up some of the Lee 405s (actually 395gr) in 50/50 lead/coww. It's the worst casting mold I have ever seen but a pass through the swag-o-matic and they are a nice even .4585 with a nice flat filled out base. After a couple of range trips I'm really starting to like this gun. The 10gr unique loads recoil about like a 223 in a heavy rifle. The 15gr unique load shoots well (about 1 1/2" at 50 yds) with quite mild recoil. I tried several of book recommended loads, none of which shot very well. Next step was to try my regular cast boolit load for bigger cases which makes most folks think I'm nuts. I start with the case filled to the base of the boolit with H5010 which is 44grs. It barley burns which is normal. Then load 5 with 3grs unique and 41grs 5010, 5 more with 4grs unique and 40 grs 5010 and continue to 10grs unique and 34grs 5010. Start shooting with the lightest unique load and work up until the burn of 5010 cleans up. This usually gives a medium load that shoots ok. Stepping up 1 or 2 more steps usually tightens groups but they will open if you go far enough and of course pressure will go up as well. I stopped with both 7grs and 8grs working well. Accuracy under 1" at 50yds and recoil getting noticeable. When I got home and cleaned the gun, I found the scope base screws had worked loose so I need to hit the range again and maybe go up another gr or two with unique. I need to chrono these to see if there's any need to go farther. This gun in 45/70 is fun and so far no leading. It should easily shoot through any critter in AK.

alfloyd
12-08-2015, 04:03 PM
Victor:
"In everyone's valued opinion... What is the favorite cast BULLET with a flat nose for this cartridge weighing between 380 and 425 grains and having a gas check? And where can I get the mold?"

I use the RCBS 405 grain flat nose gas check cast out of wheel weights. I load them to 1340 fps and get very good groups without hurting my shoulder.

I do not think that you could get a better slug for the 45-70.

Lafaun

Victor N TN
01-08-2016, 06:26 PM
Hey guys,

I finally got to take the Marlin 1895 big loop guide gun to the range yesterday. In reading Paul Matthews book, "40 years with the 45-70 - revised" I found a LOT of good reduced power loads. So I loaded 15 rounds to try and get the scopes on paper. I got the scope somewhere close. But the red dot was still drifting some. Correction, I was drifting because I didn't have a good place to weld my cheek. I think with a good pad, I can get it going really well.

I don't have my range notes notebook here in the house. But when I go out to clean up a bit I'll bring it in and let you know what the load was.

According to his book it was around 940+ fps. But the recoil was very mild. It didn't even dislocate my shoulder... Like I was promised... Hahaha

Thanks again for everyone's help.

Frank V
01-08-2016, 08:39 PM
Victor
Glad to hear your day at the range was fun.
We don't have to run these at the red line to be fun & effective.
Good shooting everyone.

Victor N TN
01-08-2016, 09:32 PM
Hey guys,
I looked at my notes a while ago.
I used new StarLine brass, 300 grain lead GC bullets by Cast Performance Bullet Co, (Midway) with 45.0 grains of IMR 3031. It pow'ed pretty good. But the thump wasn't as hard as a 20 gauge shotgun. The most difficult thing was holding it down. I've come to the conclusion that this rifle was not meant to be a "benchrest rifle". I have 2 of those that are pretty good at what they are for.

Next time I think I'll get it slung good and tight and hold on real good. And next time I'll be sure to take the chronograph. It's difficult for me to describe how it shot. I handloaded successfully for about 15 years before I owned a chronograph. And 4 more years before I bought a good one. Funny how I feel like tests are incomplete without a 10 shot record group over the chronograph.

Thanks to you all for the help along the way.
Victor

Oklahoma Rebel
01-09-2016, 02:09 PM
I have a new 1895 22" barrel and I shoot lee .457-405-rnf and .459-405-hb. 405 grains at anything bellow 1500 fps is really not badd to shoot as far as recoil, id say about 25% more than a 30-30 336. and a flat nose 405 gr bullet at 1200-1400 will kill anything in north America, I am using 38 grains of acc 2495 (all I had) and I est it shoots in the mid to upper 1300's and the bullets end up 3-4 feet into my packed sandy soiled berm

big bore 99
01-09-2016, 03:41 PM
The 45-70 is a very versatile round. I've read all of Paul Matthew books. I load for and shoot a couple single shots. I've shot everything from .457 round balls to 530 gr Postell GC. I liked to shoot some powerhouse loads in my younger years, but settled in at the Lee 340 gr. and light Unique loads. I'm fast approaching 70 yrs old and like to shoot a fair amount when going out to the range. I tumble lube them twice with Alox and once with paste wax or sometimes size them down to .452 and paper patch them back up. That makes for a very pleasant and accurate load for punching paper or tin cans. I can shoot those all day long. The heavier loads just plain hurt and take the fun out of it.

Victor N TN
01-09-2016, 05:13 PM
Some day I'd like to get some of the 500+ grain and a load that works good just have some "bear" loads on hand.

I'm about to shake hands with 64 myself.

Frank V
01-09-2016, 09:04 PM
I'm getting up in years too, I use the 405gr Rem. JSP & a dose of RL7 that gives me 1720fps. I can shoot enough of them to be proficient. I load down to just over 1400fps for fun loads. Shooting off a bench isn't the most fun way to shoot the .45-70.

01-09-2016, 09:19 PM
Victor in TN,
I love the 460420. It was a group mold buy years ago and NOE is doing a virtual copy. NOE are great to deal with. I have both the Lee group 6 banger mold and a two cavity from NOE. Love 'em both. The NOE has 1 cavity PB and 1 cavity GC. Super accurate with many powders and a nice big meplat. Has accounted for lots of game (and so far, all are one shot!).

Frank V
01-10-2016, 09:32 PM
My Wife bought me the Lee 500gr FP GC mold for Christmas. This spring I hope to work up a good load for it.:guntootsmiley:
Penetration should NOT be a problem![smilie=w:

S.B.
01-11-2016, 06:42 PM
Go to Paco Kelly's website he has a lot of info. on this, there.
Steve

Victor N TN
01-11-2016, 07:04 PM
Steve

I registered a new account there. Thanks for the heads up.

big bore 99
01-12-2016, 10:11 AM
My Wife bought me the Lee 500gr FP GC mold for Christmas. This spring I hope to work up a good load for it.:guntootsmiley:
Penetration should NOT be a problem![smilie=w:
I've been using that same mold for a few years off and on and with a good load, it WILL rattle the filling in your teeth loose. Also stop anything it's shot at.

MostlyLeverGuns
01-12-2016, 10:32 AM
Markbo is right. 300 grain bullets shoot through most game you will normally hunt (elk or moose for sure). Recoil is always a consideration, heavier bullets - more recoil. If you decide on a scope, get a good one. My .45-70 simply breaks scopes with full loads -300 grains at 2200. The Leupold 2.5 is holds up well, is very light and inexpensive(relatively).

Frank V
01-13-2016, 01:14 PM
Thanks everyone, I'm waiting for warmer weather then will try it out.

S.B.
01-13-2016, 02:58 PM
The Leupold 2.5 is holds up well, is very light and inexpensive(relatively).
How long has it been since you bought a Leupold scope, I've owned them for more than 40 and never bought one cheap.
Steve

Victor N TN
01-13-2016, 05:41 PM
How long has it been since you bought a Leupold scope, I've owned them for more than 40 and never bought one cheap.
Steve

Can I put an "amen" to that?

Markbo
01-13-2016, 10:09 PM
You guys didnt see "relatively"???? Really?

Frank V
01-13-2016, 11:31 PM
Steve

Paco Kelly's leverguns? Which threads on 500gr bullets?
Thanks

S.B.
01-14-2016, 09:28 AM
Oh, Markbo, don't get me wrong I'm a big fan of Leopold's scopes just that I've paided through the nose for everyone, I own.
Steve

dondiego
01-14-2016, 01:02 PM
Look at the price of Swarovski's!

S.B.
01-14-2016, 02:35 PM
Look at the price of Swarovski's!
I prefer to deal only with American companies, thanks.
Steve

Victor N TN
01-14-2016, 08:36 PM
A friend of mine had a rifle (may still have it) may have been a 375 H&Hmag. Broke several scopes on it. I believe including a Leupold, but I won't swear to it. He ended up getting a Schmidt & Bender :

http://www.opticsplanet.com/schmidt-bender-riflescopes.html

It has lasted for him and that rifle any way.

Markbo
01-14-2016, 09:07 PM
For $3000 it shoul last several generations! AND rub my feet at the end of a long hunt!

Victor N TN
01-15-2016, 01:52 AM
I agree. A good shoulder rub thrown in wouldn't hurt.

Victor N TN
02-06-2016, 11:33 PM
I finally have some numbers.

A friend loaded a few rounds of 325 grain gas check bullets in front of 44.5 grains of IMR 3031. The numbers running in the 1400 to 1500 fps range. The recoil was not as bad as shooting my old 20 gauge. After he loaded up a few rounds he took me to his house in the country and we shot them up.

I was surprised. Not that bad at all.

When I get some strength built up I'll try a few full power loads.

I want to thank everyone here for all the help.
Thanks,
Victor

4719dave
02-07-2016, 05:27 PM
160222Victor ,I have that 500 gr mold its call the tombstone boolit I believe I had tom cut me one as well ..
you know go big or go home ..let me see if I have any casted up I'm not sure im just really busy at work know .

Victor N TN
02-08-2016, 03:37 PM
Dave,

Keep me posted and let me know how you want to trade or what ever on a few bullets.

Rattlesnake Charlie
02-08-2016, 04:42 PM
I've been shooting the Ranch Dog 350 gr. In my alloy, which this year has been a batch of alloy from a .22 rimfire range, it weights 365 gr. seems to shoot well in both my 1895 Marlin Cowboy and Shiloh Sharps with IMR 4895 and 4831. My loads are shy of the max for trapdoors, which is also listed as the max for the sharps. I would not want much more recoil out of the Marlin. 11 gr of Red Dot is nice to shoot all day.

Frank V
02-09-2016, 11:44 AM
Victor

I haven't used it yet it's been to cold to be out in the garage so far.
My Wife got me a Lee .457 500gr FP gas check mold for Christmas.
I'm not going to run it real fast, & I haven't tried it so can't say how well it'll shoot, but if it's anything like their .38, 44, & .45 handgun molds it'll shoot well.
I'd get one of Lees molds to try they are inexpensive as molds go & in my experience cast good bullets. Being aluminum they need to be used carefully & not banged around, but you don't want to bang around any mold.
Let us know how you are doing. That Marlin will be a lot of fun!!!!;-)

therealhitman
02-09-2016, 11:43 PM
I have a couple of Marlin 45/70s in the safe and it is the only caliber that I regularly shoot factory ammo. Mostly because I don't shoot them more than 50or 60 rounds a year, if that. I have decided my Guide Gun needs to be shot more and intend on loading up a ton of light loads with the Lee 340gr boolit this year. Like Frank V, I always try a Lee mold first now to decide on a weight/profile and then spring for a NOE or Accurate once I've decided it's a go. I have found references to using very small charges of very fast powders for a light, closer range plate or target load. I am most intrigued by 3 - 5 grains of 700X...any experience out there with 700X or BE 'gallery' type loads?

Frank V
02-10-2016, 10:29 PM
therealhitman

Yup I kind of like Lee molds they aren't all that expensive & usually cast pretty good bullets. I have others, & use them regularly, but I have a couple of Lee molds that I really like. I'm hoping this 500gr Lee will throw bullets of .459, I emailed Lee a few months back & the 500gr is listed as a .457, Lees customer service told me that's the smallest size that the mold will throw & usually they are .459-.460. I'm hoping for .460. Can't wait for the temperature to raise some so I can stand to be in the garage & cast.
Thanks.

Victor N TN
02-11-2016, 03:21 PM
I'm lucky enough that several years ago we put central heat and air in my shop building. It's a basic commercial building that was here when we bought the place. 30 X 50 w/ 10' ceilings. But I can't raise the thermostat more than 65*F or it'll eat me alive. A Social Security check just don't hardly make it any more.

Thanks to everyone for your experiences and input here.

Markbo
02-11-2016, 11:49 PM
Victor I dont know if you're even interested but a small portable A/C unit will help in the Summer. My shop is 1 1/2 of my 3 1/2 car garage. Not insulated and separated only by plastic sheets. It is hot in SE Texas in the Summer, lemme tell you. And our Summer is 6 months long. The only way I can work out there once it gets too hot is using a small stand up/floor A/C unit I got at Home Depot.

The long exhaust hose goes out under the garage door (so its not pumping warm air back into that space) & I can roll it around easily to blow on me. Usually have it blowing on me from behind and it really helps a lot.

Frank V
02-12-2016, 10:01 PM
It gets hot here too, not that hot, but warm enough that casting in the garage isn't a lot of fun even with both doors open.

Victor N TN
02-13-2016, 11:25 AM
Like I've put on here before, I haven't cast in several years. I have a new RCBS pot and several molds. But when I was casting for pistols a few years back, I did 90% of my casting in the fall and then some in the spring. The rest of the year I just did as little as I had to so the heat didn't melt me away... hahaha That would be a LOT of FAT to render.

Frank V
02-14-2016, 12:00 PM
Hah Victor I can relate to the fat rendering!!!!:-(

It's been in the mid 40s last week if that keeps up I just may have to fire up my old pot & get after it. I really do want to try those 500gr Lee GCs. I got a Lee .357 GC SWC mold for Christmas too it's the one that is strikingly similar to the old Lyman 3558156. Should make the .357 sing!