PDA

View Full Version : Question, dumb, one ea., re 9mm cast loads

armoredman
11-14-2015, 05:25 PM
I am running out of my favorite powders and nobody local stocks Accurate Arms. My local supplier keeps various IMR, Hodgdon and some Alliant powders. I am completely unfamiliar with any handgun powders from any of these suppliers - any recommendations to look for, for a 124 grain lee TL boolit, powder coated?
Thanks for any reply.

depoloni
11-14-2015, 05:30 PM
Tons of options there...

Unique is always a good bet. Win-231 and Hodgdon HP-38 are the same powder, and great options. TiteGroup would work well. You could also get acceptable loads with easily a dozen (or two) more pistol powders - just about anything slower than magnum handgun powders will work well - and even a few of them such as Blue Dot COULD work in 9mm.

Good luck - you can't hardly miss!

bangerjim
11-14-2015, 05:30 PM
All the above mentioned makers have worlds of load data on their websites for 9mm.

And you should already own the Lyman #4 Cast Bullet Handbook!!!!!!! RIGHT?!?!?!?!?!? The bible of what we all do. Tons of data in there. Buy one and be happy. You can easily get one at Cabella's, Sportsman's Warehouse, and Bass Pro Shops in several cities in Arizona. I get all my books at Sportsman's.

Do not trust load data obtained from a forum is a good rule to live by.

banger

toallmy
11-14-2015, 06:33 PM
Red dot works for me .

Schrag4
11-14-2015, 06:39 PM
I'm casting the same boolits (Lee 124gr RN, tumble). I really like Unique. I've used AA#5 too, but aside from better metering, it doesn't do anything as well for me. In my experience, you use more powder to get less velocity and less accuracy, in my gun anyway. It's not all that much worse, but I need 125 power factor and Unique easily gets me there while AA#5 doesn't, at least not reliably.

Hickok
11-14-2015, 06:45 PM
I like Unique in my 9mm. Check this, my post is number 2. http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?292015-Small-Game-9mm-Revolver-Loads-(-)

Bangerjim is correct about not trusting forum load data. You will see in my post I give the caution to start lower and work up.

tazman
11-14-2015, 07:18 PM
No one is carrying Accurate arms powders here either. I am currently loading Bullseye and CFE pistol for that boolit. Data for both powders is available from the manufacturer at their online data page.
CFE Pistol is new enough it doesn't appear in any published manuals except for possibly Hodgdon. In my tests, the data from the Hodgdon site is right on the money as far as velocity.
There are lots of powders that will serve very well. After all, that cartridge has been around for a loooong time.
As was mentioned before, get the Lyman cast bullet handbook.

bedbugbilly
11-14-2015, 07:41 PM
I use Bulls Eye or Red Dot.

DocSavage
11-14-2015, 09:31 PM
I've used Bullseye,231,Universal Clays,Unique,HS6 in my 9mm pistols. I have AA7 and Titegroup on hand that I'll try at a later date.

GhostHawk
11-14-2015, 09:35 PM
Mostly Red Dot here for all pistols and some rifles.
From 3 gr in 9mm to 4.5 in .45acp. Other powders will work, in many cases giving more speed. But I know of no other single powder as flexible as Red Dot.

farmerjim
11-14-2015, 09:47 PM
Herco

Lagamor
11-14-2015, 09:54 PM
Unique and Bullseye are great. Power Pistol has a real nice flash to it.

Le Loup Solitaire
11-14-2015, 10:00 PM
Quite a number of powders work well in the 9mm. Red Dot, Unique, 700X, Bullseye to name a few. I settled on 4756 which pretty much fills the case at 4.8 grains and this discourages the setback if it occurs from raising the pressure....and pressure can jump significantly if that does happen. I have been careful to keep an eye on such things especially when working with my Luger as parts for these are quite costly to replace id something lets go. LLS

edctexas
11-14-2015, 10:11 PM
9mm pistols sometimes like powders slower than Bullseye and Red Dot. HP-38 or 231 is good. PowerPistol, Green Dot, and Blue dot are also good. Nearly any of these mentioned in this thread will work for 9mm.

Ed C

leeggen
11-14-2015, 10:39 PM
Take into account what speed you want the boolit to fly and check powders that fill the blank. Check on line at the different powder mfg. and download their files for the 9mm.
Almost each has a website to download from. Myself bluedot works.
CD

dragonrider
11-14-2015, 11:09 PM
Red dot user here also. I use it all my handguns, and some rifles.

LAH
11-14-2015, 11:15 PM
Red dot works for me .

Plus 1.

scottfire1957
11-15-2015, 12:14 AM
I really, simply, have to ask. Why have you not looked at some reloading manuals?

Information regarding 9mm Luger has been available for centuries. CENTURIES.

Info by ALL bullet AND powder manufacturers.

I apologize if this answer stresses or triggers anybody's feelings.

Schrag4
11-15-2015, 12:25 AM
I just reread the original post, it sounds like you're wanting AA powders? Powder Valley has 1lb and 8lb jugs of AA#5, AA#7, and AA#9 available right now. You may consider buying from them if one of those is the favorite you referred to in your original post.

armoredman
11-15-2015, 12:27 AM
Easy answer, scottfire - I've been using Accurate Arms powders for 9mm since I started, so all of my loading data is from Accurate Arms, which suddenly is no longer available to me at this time. I have other old manuals, but data changes, like when Accurate reformulated everything a few years ago and upset the apple cart something fierce. Also, might I point out that nowhere in my original post did I ask for data, just powder suggestions from only those makers I listed, as just a friendly, "hey, what works well for you?" Then I would write down the suggestions, check the one and only shop within a two hour drive that carries powder and see what on that list is available, buy one, and then find actual formal data.
Thank you for the suggestions posted already - I will check that shop next payday and see what is available. Thank you all for your time.

Edit to add, Schrag, I am trying to avoid ordering for the extra cost - I and all my fellow supervisors at work got a $2,000 a year pay cut, so I'm keeping all costs to a minimum.

scottfire1957
11-15-2015, 12:29 AM
I just reread the original post, it sounds like you're wanting AA powders? Powder Valley has 1lb and 8lb jugs of AA#5, AA#7, and AA#9 available right now. You may consider buying from them if one of those is the favorite you referred to in your original post.

I read that he was looking for reloading info for powders other than what he has been using.

If I am mistaken, I will apologize. Otherwise, not.

scottfire1957
11-15-2015, 12:36 AM
Easy answer, scottfire - I've been using Accurate Arms powders for 9mm since I started, so all of my loading data is from Accurate Arms, which suddenly is no longer available to me at this time. I have other old manuals, but data changes, like when Accurate reformulated everything a few years ago and upset the apple cart something fierce. Also, might I point out that nowhere in my original post did I ask for data, just powder suggestions from only those makers I listed, as just a friendly, "hey, what works well for you?" Then I would write down the suggestions, check the one and only shop within a two hour drive that carries powder and see what on that list is available, buy one, and then find actual formal data.
Thank you for the suggestions posted already - I will check that shop next payday and see what is available. Thank you all for your time.

Edit to add, Schrag, I am trying to avoid ordering for the extra cost - I and all my fellow supervisors at work got a $2,000 a year pay cut, so I'm keeping all costs to a minimum.

Same answer. Buy some current manuals, or look at powder manufacturers websites for reloading data. There are no 9mm reloading secrets. It's all published, most of it on the internet. I bet Lee has data for different powders for the bullet you're using. Call 'em.

Edit. It's gunpowder. Not magic powder.

JeffG
11-15-2015, 12:45 AM
For that same bullet I've used Bullseye, BE-86, Unique, Blue Dot in Alliant's line

armoredman
11-15-2015, 01:00 AM
Same answer. Buy some current manuals, or look at powder manufacturers websites for reloading data. There are no 9mm reloading secrets. It's all published, most of it on the internet. I bet Lee has data for different powders for the bullet you're using. Call 'em.

Amigo, I am not sure why you feel you have to be rude and contentious but that's OK, it's the internet. Thank you for your time and energy, I won't bother you, specifically, any more.
Thank you to the others who did offer suggestions. i appreciate your time and effort.

scottfire1957
11-15-2015, 01:18 AM
Amigo, I am not sure why you feel you have to be rude and contentious but that's OK, it's the internet. Thank you for your time and energy, I won't bother you, specifically, any more.
Thank you to the others who did offer suggestions. i appreciate your time and effort.

Blunt, not rude. If you can't find information to reload 9mm with any powder on the retail planet, you don't need to reload 9mm. I could do that tonight, and I've never reloaded 9mm. All I have to do is go look at a few of my reloading manuals.

Sorry if your feelings are hurt.

Edit: Your initial interrogative statement has been replied with at least 10 powder options, nearer 20. Seriously, how difficult is it?

Again, sorry if your feelings are hurt.

retread
11-15-2015, 01:49 AM
I have been using Expansion Industries ETR7. Really like it, measures well and performs much like Titegroup or Bullseye. It is in stock right now for $72 for a 4 lb jug.

http://expansion-industries.com/

scottfire1957
11-15-2015, 02:29 AM
I have been using Expansion Industries ETR7. Really like it, measures well and performs much like Titegroup or Bullseye. It is in stock right now for $72 for a 4 lb jug.

http://expansion-industries.com/

And yet another powder, Amigo.

Edit: sorry if, feelings, all that.

Brotherbadger
11-15-2015, 06:47 AM
Red dot and hp-38 are my go to right now.

bangerjim
11-15-2015, 11:17 AM
ETR7 is all I use these days for 9mm thru 45LC. Great powder.

Petro58
11-15-2015, 12:37 PM

I've emailed Lee and asked them questions about Their Load Manual, funny because they don't Supply Load information for their Bullets. Even in their Own Book. My Question was does their manual include any Load Data for their Bullets. Their Response:

"We don't provide any load data for our bullets/molds. Please contact your favorite powder manufacturer for this data.

If the bullet weight you wish to load is not found in your favorite manual, it is safe to use loads listed for a heavier bullet weight. Using that load with your lighter bullet simply reduces the pressure and the velocity remains about the same."

Sincerely,
Raquel

armoredman
11-15-2015, 01:15 PM
The HP-38 might be the one to look for, since the only local store carries just IMR, Hodgdon and occasionally Alliant, so those are the only choices I have. :)

MOA
11-15-2015, 02:17 PM

Unique and Bullseye are my choices too.:cast_boolits:

paul edward
11-15-2015, 02:56 PM

Power Pistol will indeed light up a dark indoor range.
Winchester 231 and Hodgdon HP-38 are twins and work well in 9mm.

srtolly
11-15-2015, 03:00 PM
I used to use AA #2 in 9mm but it's been unavailable for a couple years so I tried a few others. I finally settled on titegroup.

Ola
11-15-2015, 03:12 PM
Ok. If you need to find recipes for different powders easily, maybe this helps?

http://www.handloads.com/loaddata/default.asp?Caliber=9%20mm&Weight=All

bangerjim
11-15-2015, 04:22 PM
Common sense rule: Use lightest load for next heaviest boolit and work up from there. We are not always blessed with exact weights and exact load data to match, so we must rely on our own personal common sense.

banger

wmitty
11-15-2015, 05:48 PM
WC 860 from Barrett ; leaves a little powder in the barrel, but it's cheap.

tazman
11-15-2015, 07:12 PM
Common sense rule: Use lightest load for next heaviest boolit and work up from there. We are not always blessed with exact weights and exact load data to match, so we must rely on our own personal common sense.

banger

Exactly right.
Bullseye and Longshot are my go to powders for the 9mm right now. Bullseye for the lighter boolits and Longshot for full power loads and heavier boolits.

Tom W.
11-15-2015, 07:23 PM
I've used True Blue, Bullseye, Herco, Red and Green dot. Herco and Green dot seem to work best for me.

Ed_Shot
11-15-2015, 07:40 PM
+1 for Red Dot/Promo and Blue Dot using Lyman data for 9MM. I also find Winshester WSF, using Winchester data, totally outstanding with 120~125 9MM boolits.

armoredman
11-15-2015, 10:11 PM
Thanks - I wish they'd carry more of a selection. I'll take these and check it out.

Hickok
11-16-2015, 10:41 AM
I understand armoredman's post, as I have had to switch powders in some of my favorite loads due to powder availability or the lack thereof. And there are some brands of powder that are simply unheard of in my locale, no matter how good they are.

I have been seeing some of my old "standards" slowly becoming available in my area thankfully. But election time is coming soon, and we all know how that can effect our hobby.

Armouredman, I know exactly where you are coming from. And it can sure help when a group shooters/castors can give the value of their experience!

LAH
11-16-2015, 02:38 PM
With your budget being limited you might look for some Promo. This was sold on the cheap some years back. I purchased 32 pounds to use in my bulk shooters. It loaded weight for weight to Red Dot. You might find a good buy at a gun show or some such. You can do a bunch of shooting with this powder.

Petro58
11-16-2015, 04:53 PM
I use Titegroup, Hp-38 (W231), Unique and HS-6 send me a PM if your interested. I'll give you a link to 40+ Manuals in PDF format all in 1 Location. Examples, LYMAN 44, Lyman 48, Lyman Cast Bullet manual 3rd edition, MidwayLoadmap for 9mm, 44, 45acp, 357. Lots of Powder manufacturer manuals. Etc. Not sure if it's Kosher to post the link here.

EDK
11-16-2015, 09:43 PM
8 pound keg of PROMO (RED DOT clone) for $112 plus tax. 4.0 grains with LEE 120 Truncuated Cone, double lubed with BEN'S LIQUID LUBE. Ran 50 to 100 rounds daily since May through GLOCK 17, 26, stock 34 and 34 with KKM barrel and compensator without ANY malfunctions.

birddog
11-16-2015, 09:52 PM
Alliant Power Pistol is a good choice as is Hodgdon Tight Group. Winchester line go with special field.
Charlie