PDA

View Full Version : Sizing cast bullets for a 425 Rigby.

sojerguy
11-13-2015, 12:56 AM
Can't edit the title line, but it was meant to say '.416 Rigby' not '.425 Rigby'. Got fat fingers tonight caused by some merlot.

After having an 'interesting life' for a number of years and getting thru post deployment issues, school, a marriage and a divorce (in that order), I'm now working with several implements I picked up and socked away until I was done and had time. One is a CZ 550 in .416 Rigby.

Before I get started with casting, I want to ensure I have all the 'post' casting tools on hand. I do kind of like the 'lee style' push thru sizers, with and extra step of running them thru a RCBS/Lyman sizer that is .001 larger when I lube.

So my question is: What diameter are you sizing your .416s to for you CZ550s?

IF I slugged it correctly, my throat is .416 in diameter.

Thanks

Blackwater
11-13-2015, 01:44 PM
Looks like not many of us have .416's, and more's the pity for that. I suspect your throat may well be larger than you measured. They pretty much are always slightly larger than the groove diameter, but you never really know for sure. I'm just speculating here, but I think I'd start at maybe .417 and polish it out to larger if needs appear.

I'm one of many who've always had a yen for a .416, but who've never pulled the trigger on getting or making one up. That CZ is a really nice rifle. A local guy just bought one in .458 Lott, and plans to take it to Africa to try it out. He's young, though, and I've gotten too old, and my bones just don't take recoil like they used to, so it's likely I'll never get to pull the trigger on getting one myself. I congratulate you on getting a fery nice rifle in a great and highly vaunted caliber. May you do very well with it, and I think you're wise to get one while you can really make some use out of it. The 350 gr. RCBS (or is it Saeco?) boolit should make a fine deer killer, and with cast, you can load it down to common .45/70 levels for a lot of good "get acquainted" practice, so the gun will feel "like an extension of your finger," which is always good for a "dangerous game" rifle. And it's a HEAP cheaper than factory stuff! Last I heard, they're commonly $100 or close to it for just 20 rds!!! That's cheap if you NEED something like that, but entirely unnecessary for most shooting one would naturally do with it here. I'm envious of you!