PDA

View Full Version : 358345

Jeff Michel
11-12-2015, 06:32 PM
I am soliciting the forum for some samples of the Lyman 358345 bullet. I am have some difficulty tracking one down and I've decided to go the custom maker route. Just let me know via a PM as to how much and your address to send the money.
Many Thanks,
Jeff Michel

tazman
11-12-2015, 10:32 PM
Given what used 358345 molds are selling for, you are right to go custom. The price for a 2 cavity mold on eBay is ridiculous.

Guesser
11-13-2015, 11:06 PM
It is a great design

rintinglen
11-14-2015, 03:33 AM
153269It's the one on the right, for those who are interested. IIRC, it was designed by a man named Crabtree back in the 30's. It runs about 115 grains.
Mine is a 2 cavity Lyman that I picked up for cheap at a gunshow twenty odd years ago. It is a bit of bugger to cast with, it is hard to keep a cadence, but it shoots pretty well. It is not friendly to 38's with fixed sights though, most are regulated to hit center with a heavier boolit and will shoot low when this little jasper is run down the bore.

Jeff Michel
11-14-2015, 04:48 AM
First of all, Thanks for everyone who responded. Another forum member has offered me a mould at a very reasonable price thus saving going the custom route. I'll have to put it through it's paces and let you know how it does.
Thanks again,
Jeff Michel

Guesser
11-14-2015, 07:57 PM
It really shines when used in Ruger 357/9MM convertibles. I load it in 9MM, sized .358. The regular 9MM bullets-.355/.356 just don't perform well in the revolver bore designed for 38/357.

Mk42gunner
11-14-2015, 11:21 PM
So is it basically a scaled down version of the 452460? It looks like it should cut a decent hole in paper at least.

Robert

gunarea
11-15-2015, 08:44 AM
More like a Keith type 38 cal semi wadcutter, it does cut clean holes in paper. Top punch from 358421 fits for lube/size. Originally I purchased my two cavity blocks to shoot Bullseye competition with a sharp reduction in both recoil and lead consumption. So much did my wife and kids enjoy shooting the little thing, I then purchased the mould in four cavity. Children have been the driving force for bulleteering work with the projectile in my neighborhood. This particular slug has been loaded into 410 for accuracy superior to round ball. Through my 1970 circa 336 Marlin in 35 Rem, it delivers very good accuracy and my grandson developed a flinch free trigger finger with this combo. The semi wad feeds well in his Win 94 trapper as a 38 special. Even pressed into service once for a NRA hunter pistol match for a dismal although accurate romp. I know why it is sought but not why it is difficult to get. Thanks for getting me to dig out and have my shortest casting session ever.
Roy

bedbugbilly
11-15-2015, 10:01 AM
I have an Ideal 360-345 that casts the same boolit - mold was originally intended for 38 S & W. It's a neat little boolit.

If you don't mind me asking . . what loads are you using with the 358-345? I cast a few up and sized them to .358 but really haven't had a chance to play with them yet as I got wrapped up in my 45 Colt. I figured I'd just start with the data given in my Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook - 3rd edition for a 121 grain (358-242). That will be a project for next spring.

I originally bought my 360-345 mold as I thought it would be a good one to use in my 38 Colt Short loads. I'll have to try it in 9mm as well.

rintinglen
11-15-2015, 10:18 PM
Actually, the mold was designed by one J. B. Crabtree, former national record holder, for the 38 S&W and Colt Military Model revolvers., at least according to my 1957 Lyman 1st Edition Cast Bullet Handbook. I believe it was designed around 1908, which would predate the Rowland 452-460 by a couple of dozen years. It was designed as a mid range target boolit, back when 38 Special Revolvers began to rule the target ranges. J. B. Crabtree was the Secretary/Treasurer of the U.S. Revolver Association during WWI.

Mk42gunner
11-15-2015, 11:18 PM
Thanks for the clarification. The reason the 452460 popped into my head was the picture I saw looked to have two lube grooves, no crimp groove, and a short nose.

I knew, in theory, the cherry number was older; but with Lyman and re-issued cherry numbers, I wasn't sure.

Robert

gunarea
11-16-2015, 08:28 AM
Hey Bedbugbilly
In 38 spec cases, 3.4gr Red dot runs em out around 835fps depending on the handgun. In the grandsons Win trapper, the same load goes a little faster. Using 357 mag cases made the cone of error enlarge in my stable of handguns. Since my original load development, a switch to Promo from Red dot has further enhanced the economics of this little slug.
Loading into 35 Rem with Red dot made for a very position sensitive charge. Velocity differences of +60 fps and of course with that, point of impact is all over the place. Without settling on a definitive charge, 15gr to 18gr of Hercules 2400 was pleasant to shoot and satisfied our minute of can desire. Me and the boys played around loading several different propellants but nothing of great value to report, sure was fun though.
Nowadays I mostly shoot steel, 115gr of lead makes me struggle too much to stay in. Maybe when I'm a great grandpa this mould will shine again to help out another little man.
Roy

bedbugbilly
11-16-2015, 10:13 AM
Thank you gunners for the info. I have RD so will try that out. I'm loading up some 38 Colt Shorts today so will load some of the boolits in that and see how they do. Ought to work pretty well over 2.0 gr. of RD. Yesterday, I loaded up some sample rounds of 38 Colt Short using the Lyman 358-242 - 121 gr RN. Used Bulls Eye, Red Dot and Green Dot. I just got a lb. of GD - the LGS was out of RD so thought I'd give it a try. I like shooting the 38 Colt Shorts in my S & W Model 36 3" barrel J frame. I wanted to see which was the least dirty and of the three, RD won out. Yea, I know . . why shoot a Short in a pistol designed for 38 Spl.? Simple answer - it works well for me and the shooting I do - plus I just like "playing" with all three - Short, Long, Special. The 121 gr. RN shot very well so hopefully the 115 gr. 350-345 sized down to .358 will do just as well .. we'll see! I consider my 3" Model 36 as a ideal "kit gun" - easy carry on the belt - fun woods gun and the Shorts don't eat a lot of powder but still are fun to shoot at shorter ranges. And no . . . my cylinder and throats don't get all cruded up from using them and never had a leading problem. A good cleaning after shooting and all is well.

Thanks for the info . . will try it in 38 spl. cases as well!

Boogieman
11-29-2015, 11:03 PM
I found a 358345 mold , can't remember where it came from. It works great in my PPK 380 & wife's Colt Gov. model 380. It didn't feed 100% in her LC9s 9mm.