PDA

View Full Version : Browning A bolt SS 270 Winchester Short Magnum info needed

retread
11-10-2015, 12:52 PM
I have been offered a nearly new Browning A bolt Stainless steel with laminated stock and 5 boxes of ammo for a very low price. It has had only one box put through it. Fire sale situation. I know nothing about this cartridge. For the price though I am thinking of grabbing it. Any one familiar with this caliber?

Hogtamer
11-10-2015, 02:38 PM
Not the short magnum but I've got an a-bolt in .270 Winchester, the blued version. It's a sweet shooter, ultra smooth operation and moa with my handloads and jacketed 130 gr bullets and 3030fps out of 20" barrel. I'd sure buy it at a firesale price although short magnum concept doesn't make much sense to me.

Dr. A
11-11-2015, 01:56 PM
Its an easy shooting elk gun. I do have a buddy I just hunted elk with that not only shot his elk with his 270WSM, but shot a rather large grizzly one year ago in Alaska. It did a great job with simple Fusion bullets. I was amazed at its accuracy and lack of kick. I might have to get one... The old 338 works well, but weighed in 3 # more.

lefty o
11-12-2015, 12:54 PM
its a good cartridge, i have 2 rifles chambered for it. accurate, fairly fast etc. only real downside is that like anything with the word magnum in it, loaded ammo and brass is more expensive than run of the mill cartridges.

onceabull
11-12-2015, 07:20 PM
Should you go forth and acquire this item,let me know,as I have a variety of factory loads that were bought at firesale Prices..I do also have two of the rifles,neither of which is for sale cheap.(One is octagon barrel A-Bolt Medallion)..NO dies,because I may outlive my fire sale factory loads. Onceabull