PDA

View Full Version : Interestingly.....

jonk
04-11-2008, 02:11 PM
I don't recommend this but for what it is worth-

Putting a piece of damp lead into a pot causes problems- or a damp ladle, etc.

On the other hand, if you pour water on to the top of the lead, it just steams and boils; water being lighter than lead, it doesn't sink, so it doesn't get trapped by molten lead, causing steam bombs. It just cooks off.

I used to do this routinely when young and stupid. Now I don't want to risk it, but it is worth knowing just for kicks.

beagle
04-11-2008, 02:18 PM
Yeah, I've done that too and it's quite spectacular. I use to cool lead in ingot moulds this way until I didn't wait long enough once and the water penetrated the surface and my garage was visited by the tinsel fairy. Lucky I didn't get any on me.

Better not to do it./beagle

BeeMan
04-11-2008, 06:07 PM
As a kid I poured molten lead into a bucket of water on several occasions. I have no idea how I escaped the tinsel fairy, but the resulting shapes were pretty interesting as the lead froze dropping to the bottom. I don't recommend trying it, but apparently lead and water don't always result in an explosion of steam and lead.

selmerfan
04-11-2008, 06:14 PM
lead into water is ok, otherwise plumbers would not have done it. Water into lead on the other hand, summons the tinsel fairy, at least according to the dime sized scar on my right hand from high school...
Selmerfan

bpost1958
04-11-2008, 06:50 PM
My Father in law (RIP) worked for the phone company. He told me of a time when a 50 pound pot of molten lead got splashed from a huge mud puddle by a passing car. They dived for cover as the tinsel fairy visited the entire front yard of a lady. She made the phone company re-sod her front yard!

Rooster
04-12-2008, 08:49 PM
I don't care who you are...that is funny right there! Sounds like my kinda guy your FIL.:drinks: