PDA

View Full Version : Simplified casting & shooting

Mike W1
11-08-2015, 05:45 PM
Love my 1911's but the reality is I just go out back and "make holes in the air". A plinker I am. 1911's can be fussy about bullets, magazines, and probably things I've don't even know about. My LC9 requires even more practice than the .45's.

ALL my magazines function fine with a Lyman 452374 so that's what I use. It's basically what the gun was designed to feed too. 2 DC's easily take care of my bullet needs though naturally there's a 10 grain difference between the moulds. No big deal there for my requirements either.

LC9 easily digests the 356402 so I've looked no further.

Both are fed a diet of Unique which is one less thing to keep on the shelf. Might be a "better" combo but doubt I could actually tell shooting offhand and I don't try and push the upper limits of a cartridge anyhow.

Takes care of my plinking needs as inexpensively as I can make it.

Ammo for any serious social encounter will always be commercial though. One less problem for the aftermath should I ever be unfortunate enough to get into a life threating situation.

runfiverun
11-08-2015, 06:42 PM
well to complicate things a bit a 4 cavity mold would allow you to cast both boolit types at once and still run two molds at once.

mongoose33
11-08-2015, 11:05 PM
I've been using WST in both 9mm and .45ACP partly as a way to standardize on powder. But it's too fast for me to shoot in the LC9 I have.

I use AA#7 for the LC9 but haven't run any cast boolits through it. Mostly FMJ (heresy!).

I too like my 1911 (have only one at this point, have my eye on another). It eats cast boolits for lunch.

My LC9 is the older double-action system unlike the new LC9S which is striker fired. One interesting side benefit of learning to shoot that pistol double-action all the time was my trigger control became better on all the other pistols. I like having that double-action first pull because I don't want a touchy trigger on a self-defense weapon.