PDA

View Full Version : Last day at my current range

Char-Gar
04-11-2008, 12:50 PM
Last week, I moved all of my reloading grear, casting equipment, brass, lead, powder, primers etc. etc. 130 miles South to my retirement home. I will move the guns May 1 when the movers come for the safe's and other junk.

I did keep out two boxes of ammo for one last range trip. I wanted to try cast bullet in my new Mauser Sporter (8X57) and see how my new Winchester 88 (308) does.

This is only the second range trip for the Mauser, I took it out and gave it a wringing out with factory loads to see if I had any bedding issues. I had some old Federal factory stuff I picked on the cheap at a gun show. The rifle gave consistant round five shot group of an inch at 50 yards. This is with a Redfield receiver sight. That is 2 MOA and I didn't see any bedding issues.

The first cast bullet trip this morning was with Beagled Lee 170 RN, sized .325 over 17/2400 in reformed Lake City cases. Groups again were round, consistant and ran between .700 and .900 inch at 50 years. I consider this good for first time out with a SWAG load.

I picked up the Winny 88 a couple of months ago, because the price was right. I already have onr set up with a scope, so I dug around in my sight box and came up with the proper Lyman receiver sight and it screwed right on.

The only 308 ammo I didn't move was a box of Twin Cities (1966) M-80 ball. It took about half a box to get the sights adjusted and then I shot for record. Again, the groups were consistant, round and .80 inch at 50 yards. This was better than I expected as this lot of M-80 ball has not been the best ammo in my other 308s.

Due to the mega drop at the heel of the stock, this rifle gives a nasty slap with full snort ammo.

I have enjoyed my times at the Corpus Christi Pistol and Rifle Club range and it was sorta sad to be moving on. My new range will be just as good for my purposes and closer to my home.

IN closing, I must say I am very, very pleased with my new Mauser sporter. I made the stock just to fit me and nobody else and it is a dream to shoot. I am left handed and that is how the rifle is stocked. Other, right handed folks shoulder the rifle and it feel like a boat oar to them, but for me it is a shooting dream.

beagle
04-11-2008, 02:21 PM
Good luck on the move. It's a bear for a bullet caster to move. I moved 46 miles and it took many trips and every load had about 4 5 gallon buckets of lead and miscellaneous boxes of brass.

I dropped out of my old club and now can shoot on the back forty off the back patio so it was worth it.

Good luck with the new place./beagle

dubber123
04-11-2008, 02:23 PM
Good luck on your move, I'm sure you will make alot of memories at your new range.

MT Gianni
04-11-2008, 09:46 PM
Good luck with the new place and I hope retirement is all you ever hoped for. Gianni

TCLouis
04-11-2008, 10:24 PM
from a career military man with many moves under his belt and friends that suffered the same fate.

Have all firearms loaded into and secured in YOUR vehicle long before anyone arrives to move you.

Tony mentioned that the overall experience was that shrinkage seemed to occur quite often in moves .

blackthorn
04-12-2008, 11:19 AM
Congratulations on your retirement. I hope you enjoy many years in your new home and at your new range. We tried retirement in Sept 2004. We moved about 300 miles, and it cost a lot to get everything moved. Retirement lasted 6 months and I got a request to work part time from home. That turned into full time for 2 years and I resigned again. Two weeks later I was offered a part time contract with another branch and that lasted until last Oct. Retired again until Jan 2008 and took a 24 day contract to the end of March. SO---I am off again and maybe this time it will take, but who knows? Have a great day and lots more to come!!!

felix
04-12-2008, 11:45 AM
RDM, consider yourself lucky! Most of us retired folks couldn't work our way out of a wet paper bag. ... felix