PDA

View Full Version : "Boys, I only did my duty. The flag never touched the ground."

DCP
11-08-2015, 02:34 PM
Remember Veterans Day 11/11/15

http://www.homeofheroes.com/hallofheroes/1st_floor/flag/1bfa_hist5carney.html (the complete story)

All gave some. Some gave all

SERGEANT CARNEY'S FLAG

The True Story of the First BlackMEDAL OF HONOR RECIPIENT

As evening began to fall the order came. The brave young men jumped to their feet and charged at a run towards the enemy stronghold. The Confederate defenders were prepared for them and cannon fire and bullets flew through the air, devastating the advancing 54th. Heedless of the danger and often fighting hand to hand, the 54th continued the advance. Ahead of them Sergeant John Wall carried the colors, the red, white and blue of the United States of America. Suddenly a rifle bullet dropped Sergeant Wall and the flag began to fall to the ground. Sergeant William Carney threw his rifle aside and grasped the colors before they touched the ground.

http://www.homeofheroes.com/images/fortwagner.jpgThe 54th attacking Fort Wagner. (From the Granger Collection)

Another rifle slug sliced through the air, this one hitting Sergeant Carney in the leg. With soldiers falling all around him Carney mustered the strength to ignore the pain in his leg, hoist the colors high in the air, and continue to lead the advance. Somehow he gained the entrance to the fort and proudly planted his flag...but he was alone...everyone else either killed or wounded. The solitary figure and his flag pressed against the wall of the fort for half an hour as the battle raged on. Then an attack to the right of the fort's entrance drew the enemy's attention away from him. He noticed a group of soldiers advancing towards him and, mistaking them for friendly troops, hoisted his flag high. Again gunfire split the air as Carney realized all too late that they were Confederate soldiers.In that moment of danger Carney remembered the flag that represented all he held dear and was fighting to protect that day. Rather than dropping the flag and fleeing for his life, he wrapped the flag around the staff to protect it and ran down an embankment. Stumbling through a ditch, chest-deep in water, he held his flag high. Another bullet struck him in the chest, another in the right arm, then another in his right leg. Carney struggled on alone, determined not to let his flag fall to the enemy. From the safety of the distance to which they had retreated, what remained of the valiant warriors of the 54th Massachusetts Colored Infantry watched the brave Sergeant struggle towards safety. A retreating member of the 100th New York passed Carney and, seeing the severity of his wounds said, "Let me carry that flag for you." With indomitable courage Sergeant Carney replied, "No one but a member of the 54th should carry the colors." Despite the sounds of rifle and cannon fire that followed him, Carney struggled on. Another enemy bullet found its mark, grazing his head, but Carney wouldn't quit.Amid the cheers of his battered comrades Sergeant Carney finally reached safety. Before collapsing among them from his many wounds his only words were, "Boys, I only did my duty. The flag never touched the ground."

Bad Water Bill
11-08-2015, 03:40 PM
Thanks for posting a great story from the past

Geezer in NH
11-08-2015, 04:18 PM
Thank You, that was one Brave man of honor.

HarryT
11-08-2015, 07:35 PM
I'm proud to call him a Southerner! Brave acts on either side are brave acts. I wish he'd got the Medal of Honor on the spot in stead of having to wait 37 years but I know how Yankees like to delay things.

TXGunNut
11-08-2015, 07:45 PM
A brave soldier is a brave soldier, regardless of the color of his skin or even his uniform.

bedbugbilly
11-08-2015, 08:10 PM
Thanks for posting this great story. There are so many similar stories . . particularly of the Civil War . . . or for you Southerners . . . "the war of Northern aggression" :-) where soldiers on both sides would go to great lengths, often with the loss of their lives, in order to "preserve the Colors".

What is a true shame . . . and mind you I am of the Viet Nam generation when great disrespect was shown to our banner all the way from burning to sewing it on the seat of their pants . . . what is a shame is that so many today have no respect for the flag. When I was going up, every day in school was started with the Pledge of Allegiance to the flag . . . and every classroom had a flag and a short prayer as well. Today . . . in almost all schools it is forbidden as it isn't "politically correct" and we sure wouldn't want to offend those who demand it be forbidden. In VA hospitals, chapels are having altars, etc. hidden by drapes as it isn't "politically correct". Where have things gone so wrong?

When I see the American Flag . . I'm not seeing some strips of cloth sewn together . . . I see a emblem that represents the sacrifices of so many men and women who have defended it and what it represents. And it is an emblem that has rallied so many men and women in times of war over the years to fight on and prevail. And as such, it deserves the utmost respect and should never be dishonored.

To those on here who are veterans . . thank you for your service and sacrifices. While Veterans Day is a day set aside to honor those who served . . . it is something that should be remembered EVERY day. I hope that everyone on the 11th will take a few moments to say a prayer for those who served and especially those who gave their lives. And Duane, KIA 7/3/1968 in Viet Nam . . . may you be in God's hands my friend as you are never forgotten as are the rest.

Bad Water Bill
11-08-2015, 09:10 PM
Here is the greatest pledge I have ever heard.

Red Skelton.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZBTyTWOZCM

I hope every parent here shows this to their youngsters on Wednesday in particular.
(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZBTyTWOZCM)

DCP
11-09-2015, 12:07 PM
Here is the greatest pledge I have ever heard.

Red Skelton.More

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZBTyTWOZCM

I hope every parent here shows this to their youngsters on Wednesday in particular.
(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZBTyTWOZCM)

Bill
I love this every time you post it.
Stlll brings tears to my eyes

The apathy in the good old USA is staggering even with are own Vets, let alone the masses.

Even our politicians aren't held accountable. Hillary takes a picture with Michel Browns mother and no one cares or not many. [smilie=b:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?291634-hillary-clinton-meets-mike-brown-s-mother :dung_hits_fan:

A few good men are left but not near as much as there should be. But such is life!

I raise a toast to the few good men :drinks::2_high5:

Bad Water Bill
11-09-2015, 01:25 PM
Check my NEW thread in "OUR TOWN"

Yes that one always brings a lump in my throat as well.

bedbugbilly
11-09-2015, 02:07 PM
Bill . . I sure agree with you that the Red Skelton "pledge' that you posted a link to is perhaps one of the best ever. It brings a tear to my eye overtime and I think it should be a mandatory viewing in every school . . but we know that won't happen. And when on the subject of Red Skelton . . . they sure broke the mold when they made him. I have so many fond memories of watching him on the early days of TV with my folks. Good CLEAN humor and he always ended his program with "God Bless".

jonp
11-10-2015, 08:14 PM
Everyone should watch "Glory" centered on the 54th. It has an odd cast of people but Denzel Washington, Matthew Broderick and Morgan Freeman are outstanding.

DCP
11-11-2015, 08:35 AM
Everyone should watch "Glory" centered on the 54th. It has an odd cast of people but Denzel Washington, Matthew Broderick and Morgan Freeman are outstanding.

That is one great movie.
We were Soldiers, The Patriot and The Longest Day are some of my favorites