PDA

View Full Version : NRA Dues increase

Mr Peabody
11-08-2015, 10:36 AM
Like many of you I received a notice of a dues increase from the NRA. Being a life member I wasn't affected. It did cause me to wonder why though.
Has anyone reading this ever seen an annual statement of operating costs? Like salaries, expense accounts, lobby payouts or the like? I sure wonder where it goes.

WILCO
11-08-2015, 11:14 AM
I wasn't affected.

I'm not affected either.

jcwit
11-08-2015, 11:18 AM
I'm not affected either.

Bet I know why!

Schrag4
You wonder where it goes? Hasn't it been a couple of decades since they last increased dues? I can't imagine their operating costs have been flat for the last 20 years. The non-discounted yearly dues went from $35 to $40 - not exactly a huge increase.

lightman
I'm a Life Member, too. And no, I have not seen a statement of their operating expenses. Everything go up, its no surprise that they are. I don't even remember the last increase in dues. I wish more sportsmen and shooters would join.

bullet maker 57
11-08-2015, 11:19 AM
Does not affect me either. It would be nice to know where the money goes.

Omega
11-08-2015, 11:51 AM
Does not affect me either. It would be nice to know where the money goes.Just ask: NRA Expense Disclosure Statement (http://www.nra.org/NRA-UniformDisclosureStatement.pdf)

jcwit
11-08-2015, 12:08 PM
Does not affect me either. It would be nice to know where the money goes.

It goes to Protect our 2nd Amendment Rights.

Also for many programs for our youth, and teaching, youth and adult. Then again Matches and other activities.

All this is just for starters.

If only 1/2 of the firearm owners in this country were members there would be little to no movement to take away our arms.

BTW, bullet maker, thanks for being a member.

toallmy
11-08-2015, 12:10 PM
I am a life er so it does not bother me but in the past 7 years I have contributed way more than I could afford . Due to the political climate. And the more I give the more I am contacted and asked to give. I am not crying but thay should try to open up to more shooters not run off their members . I understand that the shock and scare works on new members but I've been around for a while. Pretty much all my life been a member, but I have noticed that the NRA has turned off some newer members with the constant slamming in your face fund raising. They might want to stop running off the new members. And ease in the young ones. Got the card in my pocket and the sticker on the truck so I can say it .

jcwit
11-08-2015, 12:13 PM
I am a life er so it does not bother me but in the past 7 years I have contributed way more than I could afford . Due to the political climate. And the more I give the more I am contacted and asked to give. I am not crying but thay should try to open up to more shooters not run off their members . I understand that the shock and scare works on new members but I've been around for a while. Pretty much all my life been a member, but I have noticed that the NRA has turned off some newer members with the constant slamming in your face fund raising. They might want to stop running off the new members. And ease in the young ones. Got the card in my pocket and the sticker on the truck so I can say it .

So call the 800 number on the back of your card and they will stop contacting you.

Simple, I would have thought you know that by now.

toallmy
11-08-2015, 12:25 PM
Naaay it does not bother me, I don't mind talking with the volunteers , and sometimes it reminds me to reach in my pocket. But I have heard New members talk of stepping back due to the fund raising . I feel it to the bone ,NRA is your voice. I'll carry a few freeloaders whean I can , but everybody can throw in the cost of a box of ammo every now and then.

toallmy
11-08-2015, 12:29 PM
I know what they do with the money. A lot of good . And most gun owners take it for granted.

DCP
11-08-2015, 12:52 PM
NRA Membership Dues Set to IncreasePublished October 29, 2015 | By GunLinkBlog (http://blog.gunlink.info/author/gunlinkblog/)
http://blog.gunlink.info/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/NRAlogo-150x150.pngAccording to a memo that we received from the National Rifle Association (http://membership.nrahq.org/default.asp?campaignid=XR027628), current and prospective members will soon be facing an increase in the cost of membership dues for most membership types.
Current members will soon receive a notice in the mail announcing the increase, which will take effect in early 2016. Associate membership and annual Junior membership dues remain unchanged while one, three, and five year memberships, as well as Life, Junior Life, and Distinguished Life membership types will all see an increase as follows:

1-year dues will increase from $35 to $40
3-year dues will increase from $85 to $100
5-year dues will increase from $125 to $140
Life dues will increase from $1000 to $1500
Junior Life dues will increase from $550 to $750
Distinguished Life dues will increase from $375 to $750

NRA recruiters, including the GunLink team, have been authorized to continue offer new memberships and renewals at the current dues rates until notified otherwise, including available discounts on the current prices.
This means that Second Amendment supporters can still renew or sign up for a new yearly NRA membership here for only $25 (http://membership.nrahq.org/default.asp?campaignid=XR027628). Recruiters are also authorized to continue issuing on-the-spot discounts on current dues rates for 3-year, 5-year, and Life memberships until further notice.
Benefits (http://membership.nrahq.org/benefits.asp) of NRA membership go beyond helping give voice to the largest and most powerful organization that helps protect gun rights. Members enjoy a subscription to one of NRA’s monthly magazines, insurance for both the member and their firearms, discounts, access to the NRA Annual Meetings and Exhibits (NRAAM) (http://blog.gunlink.info/tag/nraam/), and more.
Click here to join now before rates go up (http://membership.nrahq.org/default.asp?campaignid=XR027628).

Mr Peabody
11-08-2015, 04:20 PM
Just ask: NRA Expense Disclosure Statement (http://www.nra.org/NRA-UniformDisclosureStatement.pdf)

Thanks for answering my question.

Dennis Eugene
11-08-2015, 04:32 PM
POW's Island has received 81k in the last 18 months to start and build on to our Brand new range and shooter club. With out this money I and many like me would still be shooting in a rock pit in the rain. Thanks to all the NRA members every where. To the rest of you free loaders we will still pack you on our backs, so continue to hold your proud heads up high. Dennis Eugene

nvbirdman
11-08-2015, 06:39 PM
Some of the money the NRA receives goes to public gun ranges. Our range has received some money for improvements, so we can host the Boy Scouts, some youth military groups that have to qualify yearly, and for holding CCW qualifications.
I am another one who gets tired of NRA-ILA always asking for donations, but since I am going to donate anyway, I just wait until they're giving away something that I want, and that's when I donate.

smoked turkey
11-08-2015, 07:09 PM
Like others, I try to donate when I can because they are the only game in town that goes over and above to protect our second amendment rights. I too wish more shooters would join as the more the better because it does cost money to fight the liberals and those who think we are all evil. I pray the day will not come when our freedom is taken away. I would love for my grandson to be able to enjoy this wonderful hobby when he gets to be a man.

TXGunNut
11-08-2015, 07:59 PM
Threads like this cost me money, I'll be mailing a check to the NRA-ILA tomorrow. ;-) Membership dues do not go to NRA-ILA efforts. Back to the OP one of the reasons for the dues increase is the number of Life Members who, like me, paid a big chunk awhile back and have gotten quite a good return on their investment.

bedbugbilly
11-08-2015, 08:28 PM
TXGunNut - you make an excellent point. It's no different than any other organization that offers "life memberships". A good example - on a smaller scale - is my Masonic Lodge. We have about 50 members - the average age now of our Lodge is around 73 or 74 if I remember correctly. Many are life members (have been a Mason for 40 years) and do not have to pay dues . . . but the Lodge still has to pay "per capita dues" to the Grand Lodge regardless. Kind of hard to do when the members are life members and they pay nothing. Now put that on a much grander scale such as the NRA. And this is nothing against "Life Members" . . . but while they paid in "one shot" . . many quite a few years ago . . . monies have had to be used in the constant battle against the politicians and for other purposes . . . and like everyone's "home budget" . . . "the cost of living" doesn't go down but sure climbs in a hurry.

And stop and think about it . . . what organization can keep operating without raising dues? Doesn't make any difference if it's the NRA, the NMLRA, Kiwanis, Lions, etc. While some may not agree or like some of what the NRA does or how they operate, it's still the strongest arm out there to fight to keep all of our 2nd Amendment Rights. What I don't understand is why more gun owners . . . even if they only own one . . . don't join and support the efforts to prevent the politicians from taking our right away. But then again . . . there are a lot of folks out there who don't vote as they think their single vote doesn't count.

perotter
11-08-2015, 08:46 PM
POW's Island has received 81k in the last 18 months to start and build on to our Brand new range and shooter club. With out this money I and many like me would still be shooting in a rock pit in the rain. Thanks to all the NRA members every where. To the rest of you free loaders we will still pack you on our backs, so continue to hold your proud heads up high. Dennis Eugene

The NRA isn't to only RKBA organization. There are other 2nd Amendment groups.

dragon813gt
11-08-2015, 08:56 PM
The NRA isn't to only RKBA organization. There are other 2nd Amendment groups.

And they are all small time compared to the NRA. I'm a member of a bunch of them. But they don't have the reach the NRA does. Like it or not the NRA is the thousand pound gorilla in the room.

toallmy
11-08-2015, 09:15 PM
It's a shame but , you can just pay your dues to the NRA and tell yourself that your doing your part for the causes . Problem with the smaller groups you have to get involved. Chip in what you can and be willing to talk to people ,get some people into the sport , take out a new hunter or just introduce a new shooter. Do that over and over all your life plus for God sake go out and vote. We will win we have to.

Newboy
11-08-2015, 09:24 PM
I think the whole "NRA sends out too much literature" is just an excuse for those not wanting to help, since all you have to do is make one phone call or go online and stop it.

Artful
11-08-2015, 09:30 PM
Thanks for answering my question.
https://www.opensecrets.org/orgs/summary.php?id=D000000082&cycle=2012
https://www.opensecrets.org/orgs/summary.php?id=D000000082

perotter
11-08-2015, 10:11 PM
And they are all small time compared to the NRA. I'm a member of a bunch of them. But they don't have the reach the NRA does. Like it or not the NRA is the thousand pound gorilla in the room.

Indeed the NRA is the biggest and most powerful RKBA group by far and very helpful for the last 1/2 of the 2nd Amendment. Plus as others have posted, it does other things that are a benefit.

alamogunr
11-08-2015, 11:30 PM
I'm a life member too but since the dues are going up, my donation to ILA next year will be $40. Not much but as the election gets nearer the donation will be more frequent and increase.

bubba.50
11-08-2015, 11:35 PM
inflation makes politicians go up in price just like everything else.

Ithaca Gunner
11-09-2015, 12:43 AM
Life members can always upgrade your membership to the next level. I was a Life Member for many years then took advantage of upgrading to Endowment some years ago on a discount plan, this year I'll upgrade to Patron to keep the NRA strong.

David2011
11-09-2015, 01:16 AM
Just to put the $5 increase in perspective, the Academy of Model Aeronautics just hiked annual dues by $17/yr from $58 to $75. They let it sit at $58/year since 2003 which was probably too long.

David

CLAYPOOL
11-09-2015, 01:21 AM
Every time they offered a "DEAL" the last few years I have went for it. Now at Patron , I think. I jumped on it for my son a few years back for a "Life" membership. I hoping down the road he will help when I'm gone.

triggerhappy243
11-09-2015, 01:33 AM
I was sent this notice.... along with an offer to sign up some life members for $500.00 If I had any friends that were not nra members, id be showing this to them.

AllanD
11-09-2015, 02:45 AM
WOW... I became a Life Member in the 80's when they announced that they were
raising the price from $300 up to $500 for a life member...

Another bit of bribery was their offering a 3-year installment plan... which I took advantage of...

But $1000? Glad I got the life membership when I did..

Though every few years I have to call them to tell them I'm not dead yet
and to resume mailing my copy of the rifleman..

bobthenailer
11-09-2015, 08:00 AM
Just recently the NRA gave my sportsman club a grant of $3,500 to up grade our restrooms & install a wheel chair ramp . and in years past we also received grants,( not sure of the amount but over $5K) to upgrade our outdoor & indoor ranges.
We are now a small club with about 60 members , Since locals shut down our DCM matches ( bullet holes in a mobile home that was placed just behind and up the hill above our our 200 yard range on purpose to shut us down! ) our membership has declined over 60% and between lost dues & funds from DCM matches were just making it. without the NRA we could not afford all of the upgrades to our club, we have been there since the mid 1940's

We also just joined the NSSF and received a grant valued @$2,500 , they sent us steel targets & stands to have a minimum of 4 NSSF matches a year . There are still quite a few stipulations to keep them though ! but we are trying!

Im a Patron life member.

shooter93
11-09-2015, 07:26 PM
I became a Benefactor many decades ago by upgrading from Life. Endowment, Patron etc. as soon as I could. In those days it cost thousands to work your way up. It took some sacrifice but it allowed me then to be able to contribute smaller sums over the years even when work was slow. It may not be perfect but they do a great deal more than many think. There are a lot of local ranges etc. that wouldn't be as nice had it not been for them and don't forget it's the NRA/ILA...two organizations under the same roof. Every gun owner should join....numbers mean political clout.

starnbar
11-09-2015, 07:37 PM
I too am a life member but when at the months end there are a few dollars left over I send them what I can. If it makes a difference and I think it does then its all good for me.

alamogunr
11-09-2015, 08:46 PM
I just changed my American Rifleman from print to digital. This saves printing and mailing charges. This can be done for any of the NRA publications. There are many posts about how American Rifleman is not the magazine it used to be and I agree. Why not change over and benefit the NRA. I feel guilty every time I throw out a stack of AR but they aren't worth accumulating any more. I had rather see the $$ go for protecting our rights.

toallmy
11-09-2015, 08:47 PM
It does. And you should be proud for doing what you can when you can .and vote on local level and national.put the card in your wallet and the sticker on the Windows.tell people out loud I am the NRA .

toallmy
11-09-2015, 08:52 PM
O my I am afraid I'm a bitter clinger.welp could be worse.

TXGunNut
11-09-2015, 11:10 PM
Got the letter today, decided to take them up on the Endowment offer and mail a check to the NRA/ILA another day. Been meaning to send a check to the Whittington Center as well so when they sent me a calendar today I wrote them a check as well. Been a rather expensive evening but every dollar well spent.

MrWolf
11-10-2015, 07:40 AM
Just upgraded myself and son to life!

bear67
11-10-2015, 02:08 PM
I am a proud life member of the NRA and TSRA and I don't get membership mailings. But I contribute at least annually to the NRA ILA and the PAC for the TSRA. This is an investment in the future of freedoms we consider important as US citizens--and it is an investment for my children, grandchildren and the generations that will follow. If we do not invest in protecting these freedoms, our heirs may not enjoy the same opportunities.
Being retired, I can always justify spending my funds on selfish things, but I will contribute as long as I have food and a roof and friends. I just got off of my soapbox and "I am through preaching now!"

gwpercle
11-10-2015, 02:53 PM
It's the " New Normal ".....whatever the price is ...double it .

GabbyM
11-11-2015, 02:57 AM
NRA or the Republican party. $$

I'd rather just punch out a Communist. Feels better plus cost less. True conservative approach.
Ran one off the place just a few weeks aback. He thought just because he was using his thing on my GF's granddaughter he could talk that trash to me. Amish neighbor ask me about that 22 year old 6'4" male running flat out almost a half mile from our place. I told him he figured he wasn't out of range yet. I was threatened with many forms of divorce and alienation. Well I'm still here and he has not shown his face. If he does I will shoot him twice in the head. That pretty much goes for the NRA that would not stop calling my phone three times a week after I ordered them to stop. NRA is not any part of the solution but a huge part of the problem. If you are to big of a pansy to see that I can't help you one bit. Do nothing but write a check so you can feel good about yourself.

slohunter
11-11-2015, 03:20 AM
My charities are the NRA, GOA, 2nd Amendment Foundation and USA Shooting Team. I just had to switch to cheap beer, evened out pretty well.