PDA

View Full Version : neck expanding

cptjack
11-07-2015, 06:47 PM
anyone use the lee neck expanding die? is it a good tool? should i use the lyman m die/ thanks CJ

high standard 40
11-07-2015, 07:06 PM
I have one of those dies. The name is misleading. It is not a neck expanding die. It is a case mouth flaring die. I do use it to flare case mouths and it does a fine job. You can buy some case neck expanding plugs from NOE that will fit the Lee die and make it an actual case neck expander.

Poygan
11-07-2015, 07:10 PM
I like the M dies and use them when I can. I use the Lee tool when I don't have an appropriate expanding die and seldom use it. If memory serves (which is seldom) I use the Lee unit for 35 Remington.

Ed_Shot
11-07-2015, 08:14 PM
NOE neck expander plugs for Lee neck expansion dies are outstanding and allow the Lee die to function just like an M die.

shooter93
11-07-2015, 08:42 PM
I use M dies. If you're going to use the Lee die get the plugs from NOE so it works like the M die instead of just belling the mouth.

Motor
11-07-2015, 09:52 PM
I find one nice thing about the "M" type expander compared to one that puts a flare is you can typically get away with not crimping rifle ammo to reduce the mouth flare when using the M die.

My first neck expander was a RCBS. It expands the neck and applies a flare.

The M die expands the neck and creates a short, straight, not flared over size mouth so the bullet sits squarely in the mouth of the case. This helps the boolit enter the casing straight unlike a mouth flare which can act as kind of a ball socket allowing the boolit to roll sideways when being seated.

Motor

cptjack
11-07-2015, 11:10 PM
so using the lee does the expander need to be the same diameter as intended bullet ,in my case i intend to use a 312 bullet ,what did expander die to use......as with the lyman m die same thing same diameter as bullet ....thanks for the info CJ

quilbilly
11-07-2015, 11:14 PM
Years ago I bought an old sharpening steel with a tapered, round, slightly rough pointed end at a garage sale for 50 cents. It makes a wonderful neck expander for my bottleneck rifle cases from 22 to 32 caliber.

high standard 40
11-08-2015, 08:09 AM
so using the lee does the expander need to be the same diameter as intended bullet ,in my case i intend to use a 312 bullet ,what did expander die to use......as with the lyman m die same thing same diameter as bullet ....thanks for the info CJ

For a .312" bullet you would probably want a .310"-.3105" expander.

cptjack
11-08-2015, 09:52 AM
thank you high standard

Motard
11-08-2015, 10:29 AM
I use the lee set when I don't have a propper espander too. You must be carefull not over flaring the case and weackening the mouth but. That said the things whorks fine avoiding any shaving on boolits body. thought RCBS expandin dies in the 45-70 seems unmebatable: it flares just enaghut the mout and expande the case making the ovive slip in perfectly. I wich I could buy only this for alla my other calibers

michiganmike
11-08-2015, 05:40 PM
anyone use the lee neck expanding die? is it a good tool? should i use the lyman m die/ thanks CJ

I reload cast for the 7mm-08 and the 338 Federal. And I use the Lee flaring (neck expanding) tool exclusively. It works just fine for both. I've found that only a light flare is necessary for cast bullets to seat well, without shearing off lead. So, careful observation is needed. Just like Tommy, intuition and feel are used to get just enough but not too much. It's not difficult.