PDA

View Full Version : Scum Who Beat A WWII Vet Gets Maximum Sentence

DougGuy
11-07-2015, 12:08 AM
This story is a bit heartbreaking, however, it did end with justice being served. That’s something that is not common nowadays. With a World War II veteran being beaten within an inch of his life, the judge did everything in his power to sentence these men to the maximum amount of time possible.

The 89 year old veteran assaulted was Richard Holcomb. Joining the Navy at age 17, he fought both in the Atlantic and Pacific Theaters of World War II. Surviving this horrid war he was almost killed by what could be considered the the biggest scum of the earth.

35 year old Joshua Short, a Virginia man, forced his way into Holcomb’s home with another assailant on October 16th, 2014. With the intention of robbery, it was Short who wanted to ]incapacitate the veteran punching him in the kidneys with full force. Once on the ground, short kicked him in the ribs breaking at least a dozen of them.

"I’m going to take away as much of your life as I can so you can never do this again…I’m searching for a word that describes what you’ve done. The word that comes to mind is despicable." -Judge Derek Swope

Short and his accomplice rummaged through the house and made off with about $150, a handgun, Holcomb’s deceased wife’s jewelry box and some pills. Nothing else.

After they left, the tough vet managed to dial 911 by crawling and hoisting himself up on a stool. He then spent several months in the hospital. Short was apprehended shortly there after.

A career criminal facing other charges to an unrelated crime, the judge and prosecution saw right through him. After all was said and done, the judge ruled that his sentences be served consecutively, equaling to a total of 50 years. He’s also recommending no possibility of parole.

If he ever gets out, he’ll be 85 and maybe karma will take over from there.

http://worldwarwings.com/breaking-newsjudge-puts-away-scum-who-beat-a-wwii-vet-for-a-really-long-time?a=mk&var=ww2-short-sentence

GaryN
11-07-2015, 12:17 AM
Well at least there is one judge who is interested in justice. Most of them seem like they are more interested in protecting the criminals. Too bad the old vet wasn't carrying and could fight back.

aspangler
11-07-2015, 12:20 AM
Still did'nt get what they deserved IMHO.

Bzcraig
11-07-2015, 02:19 AM
Still did'nt get what they deserved IMHO.

I pray the balance of his deserved justice be meted out while in prison.

starmac
11-07-2015, 02:22 AM
Correct me if I am wrong, but if his sentences is to be served consecutively, then he is serving two or more at the same time, it matters not what tthey total. This is where most judges let folks off easy, but must like to sound tough.

Mike Kerr
11-07-2015, 03:15 AM
Correct me if I am wrong, but if his sentences is to be served consecutively, then he is serving two or more at the same time

I believe that serving two or more at the same time is serving CONCURRENTLY while consecutively means sentence number 2 starts after the first sentence is completed. Still hope he serves until he dies in prison.

smokeywolf
11-07-2015, 04:10 AM
Saddest part is that the old sailor wasn't able to place one center mass (minute of dirtbag) as the dirtbags entered his home.

Hope he has family to care for him his remaining years.

This is yet another of tens of thousands of examples of what happens when courts give OR (Own Recognizance) to those with criminal histories or probation to the same.

Skipper
11-07-2015, 04:14 AM
Should have run the bastard through a wood chipper.

rondog
11-07-2015, 05:25 AM
I just hope we get to hear what happens to him in the joint.

toallmy
11-07-2015, 09:26 AM
Yes the wood chiper slowly feet first , save the tax payers money . No just chunk him in not worth the trouble. Ok I don't care how as long as it's the wood chiper.

white eagle
11-07-2015, 09:52 AM
terrible for the vet, it's very good that he was a strong man
those scum bags got theirs its to bad we couldn't use them for
trading fodder to the taliban

bedbugbilly
11-07-2015, 09:56 AM
Yea . . . but can't you just hear it . . . "Oh, but he has always been such a good boy!"

That's one judge who got it right for sure. I hope the seconds just tick by ever so slowly for the perps and they serve their time and perhaps they will get even "more justice" by their fellow inmates . . . .

lightman
11-07-2015, 10:06 AM
I wonder if that Judge would run for President? Might make a good one. I hope the old Sailor recovers completely. Yeah, we are going to spend millions of dollars to house those dirtbags when a quarters worth of electricity would have been solved the problem, quickly and cheaply.

popper
11-07-2015, 11:35 AM
One thing the French get right, guillotine. Fast, reliable and cheap.

alamogunr
11-07-2015, 11:44 AM
Yea . . . but can't you just hear it . . . "Oh, but he has always been such a good boy!"

That is the universal response when a policeman is forced to shoot a young perp. I hear it almost every night on the late news. It is then picked up by the liberal bleeding hearts.

w5pv
11-07-2015, 12:04 PM
And my wife and kids say they don't understand why I don't even take a shower without my gun being close by.

Thumbcocker
11-07-2015, 12:40 PM
IIRC France no longer has capital punishment.

TXGunNut
11-07-2015, 12:49 PM
I pray the balance of his deserved justice be meted out while in prison.

Your prayers may be answered. Vets are everywhere, even in prison. Nobody likes a bully who beats up old people.

DougGuy
11-07-2015, 01:05 PM
And my wife and kids say they don't understand why I don't even take a shower without my gun being close by.

We live in a small quiet hood here, people know everybody, walk their dogs, vehicles don't even need to be locked, we have it better than most for sure, but right across the tracks is the "other side of the tracks" hood which often rings with the sounds of hip hop and rap, and the sounds of gunfire and police sirens become more and more frequent as grade schoolers grow into middle schoolers and then gang bangers in age.

I carry outside my home 100% but in my home I found it advantageous to place arms in places I inhabit the most. Nightstand I leave my edc while we sleep, and I don't go to the door empty handed even if it's the mailman, in the back of the house is the office and the 'puters and a 1911 stays next to my mouse 24x7 with a few extra magazines under the monitor. There are more strategically placed in the house in case the shtf and I am separated from my gf she has access to arms as well.

Paranoid? Those who do not own nor carry would be quick to cry paranoid or gun nut, let them say whatever they will. No we are not paranoid, we are prepared.

I bet the old salt might have a carry gun by now, I certainly would hope so. His is not the first instance of thugs striking the weak and elderly, I have read of several heartbreaking accounts of WWII vets being assaulted. I wish I had read several accounts of thugs getting the surprise of their life during such an assault but it hasn't been the case. Complacency can get you killed.

toallmy
11-07-2015, 05:57 PM
That is a sad truth Complacency get you killed but only the law abiding citizen. Not the criminal.

Smoke4320
11-07-2015, 06:25 PM
Hopefully in prison some ill tempered con will give him final justice

Elkins45
11-07-2015, 06:38 PM
Three cheers for Judge Derek Swope!

IIRC if a victim of an assault dies within a year as a result of that assault then legally it is considered murder just as if they had died on the scene. If the worst happens the. What do you want to bet that judge won't haul him back into court on murder charges?

MaryB
11-08-2015, 01:03 AM
Slash him a couple times and drip the blood in the hog pen as he is suspended over it. When they get blood frenzy drop him in!

Yes the wood chiper slowly feet first , save the tax payers money . No just chunk him in not worth the trouble. Ok I don't care how as long as it's the wood chiper.

rondog
11-08-2015, 03:50 AM
Slash him a couple times and drip the blood in the hog pen as he is suspended over it. When they get blood frenzy drop him in!
Ooooo, I like the way you think! Good punishment for Muslim terrorists too, feed 'em to the hogs!

toallmy
11-08-2015, 09:06 AM
NOW that is funny , feed the Muslims to the hogs. Well thay might not eat pork but the pork would eat them . Show that video to Isis. Man I have a sick since of humour. But then I would have a hard time eating the piggies. I love some piggies.

toallmy
11-08-2015, 09:12 AM
Wood chiper / piggies I guess it depends on how fast you need to get it done and ticket sales .

Hardcast416taylor
11-08-2015, 11:03 AM
My idea of a prison set-up for the 2 perps is for them to get cell mates that are homocidal killer/rapists that are vets!Robert

Elkins45
11-11-2015, 04:06 PM
NOW that is funny , feed the Muslims to the hogs. Well thay might not eat pork but the pork would eat them . Show that video to Isis. Man I have a sick since of humour. But then I would have a hard time eating the piggies. I love some piggies.

What do Muslims have to do with this?

mozeppa
11-11-2015, 04:18 PM
What do Muslims have to do with this?

he meant radical muslims.