PDA

View Full Version : Run in with the Tinsel Fairy

UweJ
04-11-2008, 09:39 AM
Hi folks
just wanted to let you in on what happened to me the other day and I hope the newbie´s learn out of my mistake.
I smelted about 120 pounds of range lead and had everything allready poured into ingots. As allways I left about 10 pounds in the pot to cool when I spotted an old piece of lead leftover from last time. It had been laying outside under the porch and so I figured might as well put it in the pot and let it melt.
As soon as I dropped it into the molten lead I heard the well known sizzle and turned my head away. Luckily I wore protective glasses, but the fairy touched me on the neck and the bottom of my chin. It turned out the last piece of lead had condensed water on the bottom of it and you can imagine how that turned out.
So all the new members please take every possible precaution that something like this doesn`t happen to you.
Uwe:castmine:

9.3X62AL
04-11-2008, 09:51 AM
Uwe--

Sorry to hear about those injuries, but in the big scheme of things they could have been a LOT worse.

45nut
04-11-2008, 11:07 AM
It's all to easy to forget protocol and do something like that.

I would like to have someone write up a directive of safety rules to sticky that are clear, concise and not anally retentive as DC would have us follow.

There is little margin for error on a couple of our processes, followed by a large degree of latitude and varied methods for others but the threshold for danger always peaks when smelting and pouring the 6-800 degree lead. Respect for the Silver Stream can be made at the range but it is automatic when molten here.