PDA

View Full Version : Apple Pie

Ole Joe Clarke
11-06-2015, 05:06 PM
Since it seems I have found folks of similar tastes I thought I would post this photo of a pie that my MBH (Much Better Half) of 51 years made for me. If you don't like apple pie I feel sorry for you. :-)

http://i928.photobucket.com/albums/ad123/olejoeclark/Misc/IMG-20111211-00097_2_zps360c5d5a.jpg (http://s928.photobucket.com/user/olejoeclark/media/Misc/IMG-20111211-00097_2_zps360c5d5a.jpg.html)

Boolit_Head
11-06-2015, 05:17 PM
So desert at your place tonight? I'll start driving from Texas!

foesgth
11-06-2015, 05:55 PM
Hey!, who ate the piece out of my pie? Looks great, are you a cheese or ice cream guy?

lightman
11-06-2015, 07:11 PM
Gotta love a good ole Southern Girl!:?

histed
11-06-2015, 07:14 PM
Now I gotta go get one for me. Dang that looks tasty. 51 years - Congratulations!!! Commin' up on 30 myself. Guess we both got lucky.

Ole Joe Clarke
11-06-2015, 08:10 PM
Hey!, who ate the piece out of my pie? Looks great, are you a cheese or ice cream guy?

I like ice cream with pie, or a good cuppa coffee. But...... these apple pies are so good, hot or cold, I'll take a slice any way I can get it.

Alstep
11-06-2015, 08:15 PM
Yea, with a little vanilla ice cream and whipped cream on top. We crank home made ice cream with our little granddaughter in the summer time. She loves licking the paddles when it's done. My bride of 45 years has her family secret formula for ice cream. Doesn't get much better than that to top off the family cookout.

trapper9260
11-06-2015, 09:12 PM
The way it looks i can eat the whole thing myself. Remind me of how my Mom had made it and others kinds.But that was years ago.

rancher1913
11-06-2015, 09:14 PM
my wife made me one last night, she also made a buddy of mine one, would be suspicious but it was payment for borrowing his ball joint removal/install tool so I could replace the ball joints on my wifes car.

Ole Joe Clarke
11-06-2015, 09:40 PM
The way it looks i can eat the whole thing myself. Remind me of how my Mom had made it and others kinds.But that was years ago.

Thanks for all the kind words from everybody. It has homemade crusts too, no store bought ones, made with Granny Smith apples. And it does remind me of the ones my Mother used to make.

MaryB
11-06-2015, 10:23 PM
Now that looks tasty!

trapper9260
11-07-2015, 07:31 AM
Thanks for all the kind words from everybody. It has homemade crusts too, no store bought ones, made with Granny Smith apples. And it does remind me of the ones my Mother used to make.

Every thing my mom made was all home made She use to be a cook by trade for homes for nursing homes and all.If there was a way to make something different then cook the same way twith the same thing she would find a different way of cooking it .

bedbugbilly
11-07-2015, 10:03 AM
Oh man . . . that sure makes a fella's mouth water! I'm a diabetic so I can't really have such things but a taste once in a while is sure a treat! That photo brought back a lot of memories of my grandmother's apple pie at family gatherings. She always had apple and mince meat pies - she made her own mince meat. Boy . . was that ever delicious! And she'd always serve a wedge of sharp cheddar cheese with it!

You are like me . . . you were lucky in love and have a great wife . . . , my wife and I are at 43 years now . . . and I hope we make it for many more years together! Ole Joe . . you are truly blessed and thanks for sharing that pie with all of us! Now go cut another slice for you and your bride, get a cup of coffee and sit and enjoy it! :-)

popper
11-07-2015, 11:39 AM
She made me one the other nite, I'll finish it at lunch today. Chedder's had the best apple pie - just like home-made but they took it off the menu a few years back. I still tell the manager to bring it back.

fryboy
11-08-2015, 09:33 PM
Fresh out of apples but it still taste like apple pie ... What is it you may ask ? Well ...it's not chemical apple pie nor mock apple pie but rather green tomato pie with a butter recipe crust ,sorry no after cutting pix because sadly it didn't last long ( but at least I got a slice - I'd better of as I made it ) even my buddy who swears he doesn't like green tomatoes wished I'd made two of them :P )152900

Ole Joe Clarke
11-08-2015, 10:25 PM
Never had tomato pie, but I love fried green tomatoes. It sounds good.

fryboy
11-08-2015, 11:00 PM
Done right it is indeed good,to say I've a fair few green ones this year would be an understatement ;) picked 4-5 small batches but the weather was never right until towards the end of the season for heavy production,sadly that meant few would ripen before our killing freeze,earlier in the year I did only a few fried ones,saved the rest for salsa and canning, but for the last month fried ones at least every other nite,I've put up close to 8 gallons of pickled green ones ( mostly garlic dill but a few other flavors ) made quite a bit of salsa Verde and 12 quarts of bread and butter type green ones ,still have a 5 gallon bucket full of apple sized ir betterof green Rutgers and beefsteaks and 15 heavy hanging Roma plants in the basement ( did I mention I have a fair few ? :P )
Crazy weather this year wasn't good for apples or most fruit trees but I did get quite a few pumpkin,cantaloupe and what seems like 300 tons of cucumbers, oh okra did fair as well
And in truth apple is my second favorite flavor of pie,peach is tops but ... I've met very few pies I didn't like ( mud - real mud ,cow pies and for some strange reason not fond of rubarb is about it ) by my line if thinking dessert should always be served first lolz ,last time I had a few apples I made an apple filled pastry ( not quite a coffee cake ) that really inspired my buddy's wife into making one as well ( fair play I suppose since she gave me the apples in the first place lolz ) in hindsight and with the way the pie crust came out I should of used that recipe for the pie crust ( maybe next time )
My mother told me green tomato was one of grandpa's favorite ,but my mom never cared for it so that recipe sadly wasn't saved,in essence it's 3 cups of sliced green tomatoes ,1 Tbsn cider vinegar mixed over that, in a separate bowl add 1/3 cup of flour,1 1/2 cups of sugar ( or 1/2 the amount of tomatoes) 1 tsp cinn,1/2 tsp nutmeg,1/4 tsp ground cloves,stir together then stir in tomatoes ,put in crust and add 4-5 pats of butter on top and then either top crust or lattice ,you can cook either at 350 F for an hour or at 425 F until done ( the latter is kind of easy to overcook the crust tho ) if you give the ingredient list to your wife she'll know what to do ;) oh and I lightly sprinkled the top with a cinnamon sugar mix

MaryB
11-09-2015, 12:43 AM
These when green taste a lot like an apple and have that sort of a crisp crunch texture, green zebra tomatoes. Bet they would be good in pies!

http://www.suburbanseeds.com/images/green-zebra-tomatoes.jpg

1989toddm
11-09-2015, 09:47 AM
Fryboy I saved the recipe, be a good one to try out when I am done with harvest, since I'm guessing my wife won't make it before then! She's a busy mama these days.

But here's a pic of the cherry pie her and my 2 year old daughter made for her birthday.
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/11/09/7ba9fb9708a6e5be62f9c8caf0ae064a.jpg

PB234
11-09-2015, 10:22 AM
These are some good looking pies and fryboy I printed out and saved the green tomato pie also. I have been working on pies for years and marvel at the many wonderful kinds to be made. Those are some good looking crusts. Better get out a larger belt to contain one's girth.

fryboy
11-09-2015, 11:25 AM
Dang Todd that cherry pie looks like it's cut into my size of pieces ! For the longest time cherry was my favorite, as well as my favorite fruit ,I've matured a bit since then ( kind of came with expanding one's horizons I suppose )
If you guys really want to mess with someone's mind Google the chemical apple pie ( best use I know for cream of tartar lolz ) it's especially funny when someone sez " that's a pretty decent apple pie" and you get to say " it would be providing it had an apple in it " :P
Pies are kind of like pickles ... Most anything can be pickled ,ditto for pies,a good example is mincemeat ... Few actually have meat ( kinda like there's no ham in hamburger) many are made with green tomatoes and apples ,there's a couple of recipes out there for ripe tomato pie as well but the uses for ripe ones are soooo many and demanding it isn't funny,hope your guy's turn out as well as mine did !

buckwheatpaul
11-09-2015, 11:45 AM
I will take a warm slice with a big scoop of Blue Bell Ice Cream please!

AggieEE
11-09-2015, 11:56 AM
Ole Joe, If I got down on my knees and begged would your lovely, kind heart-ed wife ( am I laying it on too thick?) send me one? Looks like the ones my grandmother and great aunt made but they used a strip top crust. Either way they go down good. Married 51 years, I'm jealous.

bullet maker 57
11-09-2015, 12:33 PM
All I can say is YUMMY!!!!

PB234
11-09-2015, 12:41 PM
Fryboy, looked up chemical apple pie and will make one just to bend my senses. Any other interesting tricks up your sleeve?

Ole Joe Clarke
11-09-2015, 01:03 PM
Ole Joe, If I got down on my knees and begged would your lovely, kind heart-ed wife ( am I laying it on too thick?) send me one? Looks like the ones my grandmother and great aunt made but they used a strip top crust. Either way they go down good. Married 51 years, I'm jealous.

AggieEE,

She will make you one, but you will have to drive out here to get it. In my opinion, it will be worth the trip. No, you didn't "lay it on to thick." because she is lovely and kind hearted. Putting up with me for 51 one years means she is a good woman and that she prays a lot.

fryboy
11-09-2015, 01:40 PM
Fryboy, looked up chemical apple pie and will make one just to bend my senses. Any other interesting tricks up your sleeve?
what ? divulge a magician's trick ? ya know ... sometimes it's all about timing . a good for instance is i know a few jokes , told at the proper time they're fairly well effective , at the wrong time they leave too many folks scratching their heads lolz but .... this is a ( or was anyways ) apple pie thread ( joe's wife makes a great looking nice and deep pie mmmm good ) i kind of figured me humble additions were along the lines of "apple tasting" anyways ( granted sans apples :P )
one good tip i can give is move close to this place lolz

Lea's Lunch House (http://www.roadfood.com/Restaurant/Overview/7441/leas-lunch-house)1810 U.S. Highway 71, Lecompte, LA - (318) 776-5178

used to be a fav stop of mine when passing by ( even if i had to gnaw on rawhide waiting to fill my belly or going out of my way to get there ) renown for baked ham and pies ( let me give you a hint ...i dont really care for pork ;) )

the favorite pie of my 3 daughters was my triple chocolate pudding pie , but they never got to try my bourbon soaked dried apple pie
take about 12-16 oz of dried apples soak overnite in a cup of good whiskey mixed with a cup of apple cider , if they're still dry in the morning ( or when ever you get ready to make this delicacy ) add enough cider to cover and cook for about 10 minutes on med or so until softened , add a cup of brown sugar ( personally i prefer dark but either works [shrugz] ) a tsp of cinnamon, 3/4 tsp ground ginger and about a 1/4 tsp of ground nutmeg ( of note you can mix these up or down a little as you prefer ) mix with the apple mixture , add to pie crust and add a few pats of butter ( again 4 or 5 ) and then add top crust and cut a few vent holes bake at 400F for 20-25-ish minutes
best tip i can say is many kinds of whiskey/strong spirits will work ( or even apple jack ) rye whiskey imparts a unique taste i tend to like nevertheless it's one of the best uses i've found for old jack dangerous green label sourmash ( way better than drinking it anyways :P ) and umm above all else ? eat responsibly :bigsmyl2:

1989toddm
11-09-2015, 05:04 PM
Fry it was, until I received instructions that "Those are way too big!!" They ended up half that size. Consequently, I was able to bring 3 (miniature) pieces in my lunch today!

bangerjim
11-09-2015, 05:47 PM
Looooooooooooking good!

If you love apple pie like I do and are just to darned lazy to bake them, I found a heavenly Apple Caramel Strudel Pie at Sam's Club over the weekend. Huge thing! Just amazing heated - with ice cream!

It is their Daily Chef brand they bake in the store every day.

And yes, my wife and I are just too busy/lazy to cook most of the time these daze. That's why we eat out 3-4 days a week anymore.

banger