PDA

View Full Version : Moving to Long Island NY

duckey
11-06-2015, 04:12 PM
Being reassigned to a job in Northport NY (Long Island). What are their gun laws? I'm AD military.

square butte
11-06-2015, 04:28 PM
Nothing but BAD

matrixcs
11-06-2015, 04:34 PM
Let me be the second to offer sympathy over your loss of gun rights.....

bruce drake
11-06-2015, 04:40 PM
Very bad for anyone who considers the 2nd Amendment a valid right. And forget about a CCW. No one gets one in southern NY unless you have $$$$$$

Pistol permits are nearly non-existent and pistols have to be "imported" into the state through a NY gun dealer after you get the permit...Oh, did I tell you the permits are hard to get...

skeettx
11-06-2015, 04:48 PM
http://gunslongisland.com/ranges/nys-gun-laws/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_laws_in_New_York

http://www.longisland.com/news/01-15-13/ny-safe-act-passes-tougher-gun-laws.html

oldcanadice
11-06-2015, 05:47 PM
If possible, do not take your guns into NY at all -- stash them with someone out of state.

DO NOT under any circumstances take a pistol or revolver there unless/until you go through their entire registration and permit process -- even owning them there is illegal until that is done. Expect getting a permit to possess to take upwards of 6 months. ALL AR type guns cannot be legally imported by you. If you do take anything in, under a new law should you die, THE STATE will immediately confiscate ALL of your guns and your survivors will NOT ever have access to them even under inheritance in a will.

They are simply draconian and downstate is even worse about things than in the hill-country backwoods towns.

duckey
11-06-2015, 06:30 PM
Just as I suspected. I have hand guns, and long guns no AR type guns. So I guess shooting and reloading is done for a while. Looks like my toys will take up Maine residency for 4 years. I've never lived without a gun in my house, ever!

Lance Boyle
11-06-2015, 07:22 PM
Can you swing living in CT and commuting to work?

monge
11-06-2015, 07:31 PM
I lived in Huntington LI one town over for 13 years and in other towns in LI most of my life, There is not many ranges or places to shoot.The pistol permit are target and hunting only renewed every 5 years not sure what the wait is . Long guns don't need a permit in LI just drivers lisence NY or coarse. I moved upstate 12 years ago much better great gun clubs and life time pistol permits.

RogerDat
11-06-2015, 07:33 PM
If I had to live there I would figure it was worth the hassle to get daddy to let me have "something" even if just a shotgun or two. There is a reason both Calif. and New York are on my list of place I will not vacation or go to voluntarily.

Hope the job is either worth it or a stepping stone to better pastures.

joesig
11-06-2015, 07:36 PM
Can you swing living in CT and commuting to work?
Is CT really that much better than NY?!?

The ferry every day would be SOME dedication!

monge
11-06-2015, 07:39 PM
One positive are the gun shops you are moving to the gold coast of the country there is more money there than any were else in the country there are many gun shops full of high end pistols and long guns.

jmort
11-06-2015, 07:49 PM
Wow, what a disaster. Connecticut blows, but there is a military exception. I'd be on that ferry.
http://www.ct.gov/despp/lib/despp/slfu/faqs_06192013.pdf

Petrol & Powder
11-06-2015, 08:46 PM
Handguns are a problem in New York State in general, although up-state is a bit better in terms of permits. Handgun permits on Long Island are not easy to obtain and Brooklyn and Queens are under NYC control. Nassau and Suffolk counties are not in NYC but aren't much better. New York is a May Issue state, so you must provide a reason to apply for a handgun permit and if you want to actually carry said handgun you'd better have a very compelling reason.
If this isn't going to be a long assignment, my advice would be to store your handguns and "assault" rifles outside the state until you're re-located.

The odds of getting an actual CCW permit are slim and the process is long. The penalties are felonies so don't play the odds.

I have friends and associates that are both current and former residents of Long Island and it is decidedly not gun friendly. Nassau and Suffolk are slightly better than NYC but not by much.

41magjh
11-06-2015, 10:08 PM
All I will say is do notttttttt get caught with a pistol in Brooklyn ,Queen,Staten Island or Manhattan you will have a trip to Rikers Island an a year to think about it . Leave your firearm with a family member you can trust.

bruce drake
11-06-2015, 10:30 PM
Is there any way at all you could get your orders redacted to another location?

salpal48
11-06-2015, 10:55 PM
I live in yonkers NY. you will be able to Get a Carry permit for Target &
hunting. for New york state Only Not to be carried in Nyc. . You can Get a Target permit for Nyc. Must be in a case to and from Range.. Yes there are Indoor ranges in NYC. The weight for a permit is appox 2 months. You must Join a club in order to get a permit @ first. this is for the Pistol course and There Letter. Counties Up state don't care . but On the island and westchester . That is the way
Your Good to go for all Rifles and shot guns In any county in the state. but again Not in NYC. The good part about your move a lot of Gun clubs On the island and westchester and Pa .also Good gun shows every week. . quick trip to PA. plenty of stuff to Buy
Just bring Money
Sal

starmac
11-06-2015, 11:19 PM
This thread brings back two didtinct memories.
The first one was probably forty years ago, when a friend stated, It is amaing what a guy will do for a living. lol I would say he was correct.
The other was probably 20 or more years ago. A guy and his wife was moving from Long Island to Albq, New Mexico. He broke down with his pickup and left it for me to fix, along with 2 harleys to store, while him and his wife went on to Albq in their van and got settled.
He called me the next day and asked if I could tell him some other part of the state he could find work, ther was no way he was going to live there. I ask what was wrong, thinking he had wound up on the wrong side of the tracks. lol TOO MANY PEOPLE AND MALLS was his answer.
I got a huge chuckle out of this, and said you are moving from New York and have a problem with Albq. lol
Apparently at least part of Long Island is, or was very rural, he had lived on a farm, where he could do mostly what he wanted, but it sold to build a subdivision, which was the reason for the move. lol

joesig
11-07-2015, 12:53 AM
The other was probably 20 or more years ago. A guy and his wife was moving from Long Island to Albq, New Mexico. He broke down with his pickup and left it for me to fix, along with 2 harleys to store, while him and his wife went on to Albq in their van and got settled.
He called me the next day and asked if I could tell him some other part of the state he could find work, ther was no way he was going to live there. I ask what was wrong, thinking he had wound up on the wrong side of the tracks. lol TOO MANY PEOPLE AND MALLS was his answer.
I got a huge chuckle out of this, and said you are moving from New York and have a problem with Albq. lol
Apparently at least part of Long Island is, or was very rural, he had lived on a farm, where he could do mostly what he wanted, but it sold to build a subdivision, which was the reason for the move. lol

I left Long Island 25 years ago. Out East was very rural and there were many farms. Many of you would be shocked how rural it was in the 60s. The state is New York. The state is NOT New York City. Long Island is not NYC and Upstate is not Long Island. Each area has a unique culture. It is a shame that upstate is maligned by the actions of Albany/NYC and is not reflective of the folk in the rural counties (the bulk of the state.)

Coming from Maine I would be more concerned about the type of snow fall. NY does have hoops to jump through and BS (and TAXES) but being a firearms enthusiast is far from impossible.

Frank46
11-07-2015, 01:53 AM
I escaped from Hempsted long Island ny 20 years ago. Much better where I live now. Frank

DRNurse1
11-07-2015, 03:50 AM
I live in yonkers NY. you will be able to Get a Carry permit for Target &
hunting. for New york state Only Not to be carried in Nyc. . You can Get a Target permit for Nyc. Must be in a case to and from Range.. Yes there are Indoor ranges in NYC. The weight for a permit is appox 2 months. You must Join a club in order to get a permit @ first. this is for the Pistol course and There Letter. Counties Up state don't care . but On the island and westchester . That is the way
Your Good to go for all Rifles and shot guns In any county in the state. but again Not in NYC. The good part about your move a lot of Gun clubs On the island and westchester and Pa .also Good gun shows every week. . quick trip to PA. plenty of stuff to Buy
Just bring Money
Sal

Great Information here. Also, check in with the NY R&P Association and local gun clubs. Plenty of Pistol permit holders on LI but not so much in NYC. Concealed carry is VERY rare unless affiliated with LEO/ agency. If you happen to be Active Duty and an Officer under orders, you may fall under special rules.

Many NYS shooters are military, active and reserve, and LEO's active and retired, so the company should be good. Weekly indoor competition and frequent CMP Excellence In Competition matches. Dutchess county has monthly "Precision" Pistol Matches (formerly Conventional Pistol). If you are in Northport, the Gold Coast reference is accurate, and you are about 30 miles from the Riverhead range near the former Grumman field (they test drove the F-14 there). They had monthly outdoor matches and shotgun, rifle and running boar there many years ago, and may still.

Born and raised in upstate (Binghamton) area, obtained my CCW from Chenango County Sheriff a long time ago, then found that Suffolk County would not recognize that NYS issued document. Left the state in 1991, but return to the in-laws periodically, and even shoot there competitively occasionally since 2001.

Good Luck, and thank you for your continued service.

duckey
11-07-2015, 08:33 AM
I'll stick with my new job. It's a command cadre position which took 3 attempts to get. Definitely not commuting from CT. Looks like the long guns I have are legal to have. Not sure I'll bother with all the BS hoops to have my pistols instate. Thanks for all the assistance!

NavyVet1959
11-07-2015, 08:40 AM
I'll stick with my new job. It's a command cadre position which took 3 attempts to get. Definitely not commuting from CT. Looks like the long guns I have are legal to have. Not sure I'll bother with all the BS hoops to have my pistols instate. Thanks for all the assistance!

When you choose to piss on an electric fence, you really can't complain that it shocks you.

I suspect that most of us would choose to either not go to NY or if forced to go there, just refuse to play by their obviously unconstitutional rules.

Petrol & Powder
11-07-2015, 09:30 AM

Sounds like a good solution.

funnyjim014
11-07-2015, 02:25 PM
If it's a temp thing leave the hand guns out state. Here in Erie county , (buffalo 30min away ) it's about a 12-18mo wate and will end up costing 500 bucks when ur all done. From what I hear anything down s state ,Ie NYC and LI is way worse. Too bad we can't cut em off and make them the 51st state

oldcanadice
11-07-2015, 02:57 PM
Given that it took 6 months to get my ccw in a pro-gun area of rural NY 40 years ago (applications, state-police fingerprinting and investigation back then and now with additional laws and hoops to jump through) I suggest that a "2 month" downstate wait sounds a lot optimistic. I pass to current residents on whether long-guns are now also registered, but I do believe they are. My bet is your tour of duty may well advanced before you really get to do much with the the busy-gun-club thing.

merlin101
11-07-2015, 03:23 PM
just refuse to play by their obviously unconstitutional rules.

VERY POOR advice! Don't take my word for it just google "gun arrest at trade center site" or at airport. is it worth spending at minimum a few days in jail $1000s in legal fees all to end up having your handgun destroyed and finally accepting a plea deal?

starmac
11-07-2015, 06:40 PM
VERY POOR advice! Don't take my word for it just google "gun arrest at trade center site" or at airport. is it worth spending at minimum a few days in jail $1000s in legal fees all to end up having your handgun destroyed and finally accepting a plea deal?

Apparently I thought so the times I have had to go there, I have always lived by the saying that I would rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6.
For someone raised in Texas and spent 99 percent of my life there or points further west, moving to NY, even upstste would be comparable to a prison sentance, at least in my case. But I can say that about a few other states too.

NavyVet1959
11-07-2015, 11:39 PM

Well, I *did* give two choices. You failed to quote the other one. I know what *I* have done when I had the misfortune to have to go to NYC. Let's just say that my definition of "acceptably concealed" is quite a bit different there than it is here. Getting a firearm *into* NYC is easy. Getting a firearm *out of* NYC when you are flying can be problematic when you check the firearm with your luggage. The gate agents will call the Port Authority on you. Doesn't make sense. They want to get rid of guns in the city and you are actually *helping* them by taking it out, so why should they complain? A better alternative is to disassemble the firearm and ship it to yourself back home via UPS.

A pause for the COZ
11-08-2015, 12:12 AM
At first blush. I would think... heck NO!!! Stay away from New York.
But if you must go and leave your fire arms at your REAL home..
Please be sure to make the best of it.
If there 4 years get on the voting rolls and vote to help the cause. Then also sell to every one you meet.
Change one person, they may just change two. We need all the help we can get.
If nothing else we need to keep that stuff bottled up in New York.

monge
11-08-2015, 09:37 AM
To look on the bright side the resteraunts and fishing are great some of the best schools in the country !

duckey
11-08-2015, 09:53 AM
I lived in CA to assignments ago so I'm used to temporary sacrifices

Petrol & Powder
11-08-2015, 10:29 AM
The taxes are high, it's not very gun friendly and the Long Island Expressway is a special kind of hell BUT the north shore of Long Island isn't a bad place to spend a few years.
The weather is generally good; not too hot in the summer and the ocean moderates the winters. Long Island sound has a lot to offer. Find a friend with a boat (never buy a boat! find a friend with a boat!! :-o ), fish, hike, explore the history, enjoy the towns, explore the beaches.
NYC is a short ride away on the Long Island Railroad. The ability to travel to NYC for the day without a car is the best way to see the city. No hotels needed, no parking woes and you can be home at the end of the day. Cheap, easy and low stress.

I wouldn't want to buy a house and retire to Long Island but a few years in a rental on the North Shore would actually be a fun opportunity. There are worse places to be sent to !

Make the best of it and you'll have a great life experience to take with you.

NavyVet1959
11-08-2015, 11:12 AM
The OP used the term "command cadre". As far as I know, that's a USCG term. Assuming that the rules for them are not that much different than the military, it is often not advantageous to switch your residency to a new state just because you are stationed there. If you do, then you get stuck paying that state's income tax. Sure, you then get to vote in that state's elections, but you are likely just a drop in the bucket trying to counter the liberal bias for that state. Is it worth paying money to that state and thus supporting their liberal tendencies? Sure, there's property taxes, but back in my day, I don't remember home ownership being that common in the military. Usually, you were either in the barracks or if married, you likely had base housing. That might have just been my perception though since I didn't really have any dealings with officers or senior enlisted personnel on a personal basis.

Petrol & Powder
11-08-2015, 11:26 AM
Considering that there is a USCG station at Eaton's Neck Point near Northport / Huntington Bay, I'd say that's a safe bet as to where the OP is heading.

Gun laws / taxes / traffic aside, That's not a bad place to be stationed for a few years.

Lance Boyle
11-08-2015, 11:45 AM
I was never stationed down there but there used to be quite a few CG stations. My area of the St. Lawrence seaway was chock full of stations too but the 7 stations are down to one AD and one reserve. All the remote island ones are gone and the ATON/Lighthouse ones are shut down.

Rockaway had one, I think our agency stored a boat there. Then there were island military bases but they might have all been closed and sold off for development by politically connected hacks to make money off of.

OH, and yes, never change your residency to NY except maybe if you're from CA, which taxwise is NY's near twin. Also keep your cars registered in your home of record state. NY fees are quite high. Do not assimilate!

Lance Boyle
11-08-2015, 11:53 AM
About 6-7 years ago there was a case in NY where a coastie was arrested for possessing an unregistered personal Ruger 9mm handgun. I don't remember all the details and he may have engaged in some poor judgement to bring attention to himself. Anyways the part I do remember is he beat the rap (but seriously took the ride). Technically he fell under NY's LE exemptions as he did perform boat boardings etc in a LE capacity. The judge overturned his conviction on appeal IIRC. (memory is fuzzy). There are also certain mil exemptions but the .mil does not at all support that argument unless of course it's their M9 and ammo used for official purposes. I actually think it's funny that NY put all the exemptions for the military in NY firearms law, no spit Sherlock, pretty presumptuous of them.

Suo Gan
11-08-2015, 12:04 PM
You'll have the time of your life. Learn some martial arts. Don't live in constant paranoia.

brtelec
11-08-2015, 09:15 PM
I grew up in Centerport right around Northport,Huntington, Greenlawn in the 60's. It is nothing like it was. My father took his handguns to NC because they wanted him to surrender them to get them registered. He wasn't having that. As soon as his job permitted we were back on the more gun friendly side of the Mason Dixon line.

NavyVet1959
11-08-2015, 10:47 PM
You'll have the time of your life. Learn some martial arts. Don't live in constant paranoia.

The only paranoia that you need to have is of the jackbooted LEOs that refuse to acknowledge the 2nd Amendment. They are no better than the criminals as far as I'm concerned (and they deserve the same treatment).

The problem is though that they don't wear a sign that says, "I'm a jackbooted LEO who doesn't support the Constitution, so feel free to shoot me". :(

bruce drake
11-09-2015, 09:51 AM
Command Assignments were usually assigned by a Board at the Pentagon and highly competitive while I was still serving before I retired. You take whatever they give you if you desire to continue to serve so I understand your decision to go forward with the move. I got sent to NY twice in my career (Upstate thankfully) and both times I stored my handguns out of state "For the duration" as the old folks would say.
Serve your command and your family honorably and enjoy the Long Island environment.

Beerd
11-10-2015, 12:06 AM
Serve your command and your family honorably and enjoy the Long Island environment.

There are worse places to be stationed than Lawn-Guy Land.

DRNurse1
11-15-2015, 09:48 AM
At first blush. I would think... heck NO!!! Stay away from New York.
But if you must go and leave your fire arms at your REAL home..
Please be sure to make the best of it.
If there 4 years get on the voting rolls and vote to help the cause. Then also sell to every one you meet.
Change one person, they may just change two. We need all the help we can get.
If nothing else we need to keep that stuff bottled up in New York.

Check the rules: 30-90 days permanent residence or extended temporary duty may get you on the voter's role.

Good advice in here to avoid confrontations and stay within the current rules where ever you happen to land.

Look into the 'under orders' conditions that preempt the local rules, but expect a delay en-route if your firearms are encountered.

Enjoy your stay, Long Island is an interesting place with a fascinating history from the settlement, revolutionary and civil war periods, industrial age, roaring '20s and prohibition, through the cradle of aviation and space race periods.

shdwlkr
11-15-2015, 10:35 AM
You not be allowed to have firearms, well not many in reality, no pistols, if you reload they will keep track of what you do, think of it going to another country that has way to many laws that only help the criminals. My sympathy as you are going to be one step from being a subject not a free person.
I lived in the upstate area for decades, would never go back as even there you are not free anymore. Oh and don't forget the magazine rule nothing over 10 rounds and you can I think only have 7 in them and it has to be made so that is all it can hold.