PDA

View Full Version : busy busy busy

country gent
11-05-2015, 04:47 PM
Did some casting today to empty pot down to where it can be moved and put away for winter. Cast several rifle bullets for the winters use and one "new" to mould. Cast a bunch of 45 cal 547 shillouette bullets and 40 cal 400 grn Nasa bullets from 2 cavity old west moulds. Some 535 grn lyman postells from a single cavity mouls I converted to nose pour, and some 40 cal Paper patch from a new to me mould I just got from a gentleman here. 5 hour casting session today. One more short session and pot should be down to where it can be moved easily. Im whipped and still have bullets to sort.

35 shooter
11-05-2015, 07:45 PM
That was a busy day, but you should be well stocked for some range time now.

Greg S
11-05-2015, 08:34 PM
Glad to hear ya getting back at it.

country gent
11-05-2015, 09:02 PM
Only had one of my friends out today to cast with me. We started about 8:30 heating the pot. !/2 hour later there was 100+ lbs of lead up to temperature and fluxed ready to go. We cast till roughly 1:00 and lowered the pot to about 35 lbs LOL. 2 people casting 400+ grn bullets can move alot of lead. I normally cast 2 moulds in cycle. a 547 grn brass 2 cavity 45 cal mould and a 400 grn 2 cavity brass mould. Today I also switched out part way thru for a 535 lymann postell I converted to nose pour and a new 40 cal 420 grn PP. I sorted the bullets this evening and ended up close to 500 total of all of them. We ladle cast over my pot and a big bull session while casting also. Being mobility challenged we get together and cast as a group around my big pot so were not working with molten metals alone. Normally there are 3 of us casting together today only 2 of us, number three is suffering thru chemo and wasnt up to the day today. But the 2 of us pulled 70+ lbs of lead out of that pot into bullets. I had 3 ingots left of the 20-1 alloy I threw in to help cool pot so, one session next week with my son and I can put the pot away for winter and startgetting ready to put the Bird in the garage for hibernation. Was a great day, felt good to be productive and somewhat active.

LabGuy
11-06-2015, 01:33 PM
It's kind of funny that you are closing down your pot for the winter and I'm praying fro the first cold front of the season to start mine up. 91 degrees yesterday.

country gent
11-06-2015, 03:07 PM
With mobility issues and numbness being out in the ohio winters for any length of time can be dangerous for me. LOL. And the T-Bird needs a dry place to hibernate also.