PDA

View Full Version : Questions from a newbie

chaos
04-10-2008, 09:51 PM
Not sure I posted this in the right forum "Cast Boolits" So I'll post it here:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am a 44 mag nut. I got a whole stable of Ruger SBH's and a marlin 1894. My young sons have taken to the 44's as well, when I load them down accordingly.

I have not shot cast bullets in a great many moons until recently. The price of things have driven me to it.

My question is concerning leading in my barrels. What's the best way to get this stuff out? I currently have not had any leading at all. I am shooting Oregon trail Lasercasts 240gr Rnfp's at pretty low velocities. I will be experimenting with many different makes, etc and know that I will run into some leading before I'm done.

Someone Mentioned "Chore Boy" scouring pads????? What does this entail?

I looked at a Lewis lead remover on Brownell's but they are out and I cant find anything on the Hoppes model. (44)

Any recommendations of a good performing Economy priced bullet would be greatly appreciated. I try and stick with the 240 grainers as I have taken Countless Hogs and deer with that weight in the past. (14 Hogs in the last 6 months).

Also, I would appreciate any suggestions on some good cast bullets, also in 240 gr for hunting.

how fast can I run a Lead bullet?
Chaos

Buckshot
04-11-2008, 12:53 AM
...............chaos, first of all, welcome aboard! Second of all, if you are limiting yourself to buying commercial cast you'll really be only skimming the surface of possibilities unless you hook up with a true Custom supplier like the Bullshop (see banner at the bottom of the page).

Someone Mentioned "Chore Boy" scouring pads????? What does this entail?

ChoreBoy scouring pads are pure copper so they won't harm the bore. Two ways to use them so far as I know. One is to dedicate a bronze brush to it's use. I have a small pair of tin snips I use to cut a piece of the copper pad in a square and then wrap it around the brush. The second way is to put a cloth patch on a jag and then wrap a square of the ChoreBoy material over that. In either case, dip it in solvent and then pass it up and down the barrel several times.

If you search for like 'Gun Cleaning' you'll find that when things are right there will be no leading, and being right carries right on up to some pretty respectable velocities. The only leading issue to really be concerned about is that which affects accuracy. Some leading may occur to a degree, but never gets bad enough to be a problem. In fact the only way you're even aware of it is to see it when you run a patch through.

REAL leading in my book is when accuracy suffers. This situation then requires some investigation as to why it's happening. Once you figure it out, you fix it. Also leading in a hunting rifle can be ignored so long as accuracy and velocity remains good for a number of rounds. After all, you aren't plinking.

how fast can I run a Lead bullet?

In many cartridges you can shoot cast lead just as fast as jacketed bullets. Shooting cast in many cartridges up to about 1800 fps is no big deal, and doesn't require any voo doo. Basicly if the top end of the round is say 2200 fps, the cast boolit will shoot head to head with jacketed.

You said you had young sons. I would really suggest you try casting your own, at least on a limited basis. This is something the boys can do and it IS creative hands on work that yeilds a usefull result that they can use. They can shoot the boolits THEY created and can see them do something.

...............Buckshot

runfiverun
04-12-2008, 11:58 AM
good job buckshot
now you are gonna have him ruinin them boys making them think
and gettin jobs to buy powder and stuff, teaching them a hobby
next thing you know they will be hanging around tire shops and stuff.
then before ya know it they will be on the computer askin dubious questions.

makin discreet phone calls to mold makers,goin to gun shops lookin
for bbls with that special twist rate, fighting with each other
about how the bedding should be done.

you should be ashamed of yourself.

chaos
04-12-2008, 08:00 PM
It funny that you say that :-D

We just got back from town and I've got a 5 gal bucket of lead that I gave a crisp $20 bill for. Even better than that, I've met some good folks at a very local tire shop that has agreed to support our habit for an even cheaper amount.