PDA

View Full Version : ok, so i think it is finally time to go.

winchester85
11-03-2015, 09:59 PM
some of you have read my posts in the past about my diminishing quality of life here in colorado.

i manage a small ranch and part of my duties are to keep people from poaching and trespassing on the property. i also have a special disgust for people who don't like to play by the rules.
well, yesterday i was served with a protection order. the outfitter that i have been having problems with for years has gotten a judge to set it for a hearing. in the mean time, i have to surrender all my guns and ammo. their complaint for the judge is based 100% on lies, generalizations, and is outright false. i can prove that it is, but in the mean time i am guilty in the eyes of the court.

i have to give up a great relationship with the owners of the property that i take care of, but i don't know if that is worth the constant harassment. i have spent about $30k in attorneys fees in the last year, not to mention the lost sleep, lost work, and aggravation.
i went on a road trip last winter to look for a new place to call home. i never made it to the destination, it was crappy weather and too much driving. but, now i think it is time to go.

i am a framing contractor and need to find an area with some building going on. i love the mountains and especially the high country. i am not afraid of the weather, or animals, or living a hard life. i would prefer not to have a neighbor within at least a mile, 5 would be better. i have some money saved and can probably buy something before i sell what i have here. i have had people tell me to go to northwestern montana going on 20 years, but i have never been there.

suggestions?

MaryB
11-03-2015, 10:30 PM
MN is doing well construction wise but no mountains. Lots of snow though!

paul h
11-03-2015, 10:37 PM
Home construction is going strong in the greater Anchorage area, but unfortunately I think that will be taking a dip sooner than later.

Not living within a mile or more of others is going to make for a tough commute.

edler7
11-03-2015, 11:15 PM
I was where you are at 4 years ago. Colorado was my life long home and I did not care for the way things were headed. Packed up what I wanted, sold the rest and left without looking back. Talking to friends still there and what I see in the news....it was the right decision. The Colorado that had been home to my family for 5 generations no longer exists.

I wish you the best of luck.

TXGunNut
11-04-2015, 12:21 AM
Sorry to hear about your troubles. Sounds to me like the deck may be stacked against you, hope you're getting excellent legal advice. Good luck, get out of there as quickly as you can. Sounds like you may have waited too long already.

southpaw
11-04-2015, 01:06 AM
Man that sucks. Part of me says fight till the last breath, but then the part of me that has a family/life speaks up. It really sucks being in the spot that you are but do what is best for your. The big guys are always wanting to squash the little guys.

If you were moving closer to me I could help with a place to hunt. Best of luck to you.

Jerry Jr.

retread
11-04-2015, 01:13 AM
Idaho or Texas.

9w1911
11-04-2015, 01:34 AM
Temporary restraining orders are just that. temporary. I would fight this. That said look into Reno, NV. Not too far from you , and good gun laws. There is a housing boom in Lake Tahoe, so if you are worth your salt with a hammer you will find work, when you get here I can get you in touch with some large framing contractors.

Freightman
11-04-2015, 12:37 PM
we just passed a 34 million construction job for a new Baseball stadium and the town just south passed a 6 million bond for a water park, and town just north a new high school. And all the contractors are busy don't have a clue where the help is coming from. oh a new office building and hotel just started for 100 million total cost.

WILCO
11-04-2015, 01:09 PM
Deal with the legal issues. Pack up. Move out. Life is too short.
Keep in mind, there's not too many places to run to.
Adapt a camouflaged lifestyle and blend in.

winchester85
11-04-2015, 07:51 PM
called a realtor in one prospective area. he sent me some listings, 3rd one is about as perfect as i could ask for. and, i have nearly that much cash saved, could sell off some things and have enough to buy outright. quite exciting to know that what i am looking for is available AND affordable.
now i have to find out what kind of living i could make there.

biggest problem i have is the judge. the attorney cannot believe the judge signed the order. there is no substance to it at all. she does not like me, and has no objectivity.

MaryB
11-05-2015, 12:29 AM
Guys building my garage have 10 shells(all large agriculture barns) to put up that they will come back and finish this winter. Last winter they didn't get the normal 3 month layoff either. They are having a hard time finding good help and one of their helpers who was here to build my garage couldn't read a tape measure or swing a hammer...

TXGunNut
11-07-2015, 12:39 PM
Good help is hard to find, anyone who wants to work and can function on a high-school graduate level can find work here in TX.

Jim Flinchbaugh
11-12-2015, 09:09 PM
i have had people tell me to go to northwestern montana going on 20 years, but i have never been there.

Just so you know, we're full

TXGunNut
11-13-2015, 12:20 AM
Just so you know, we're full

Good point. Sparsely populated areas simply don't have the infrastructure to support any significant influx of new people.
I laugh when I hear of folks' plans for "bugging out". The people who live where they're "bugging out" to will treat them as invaders. And rightly so, IMHO. The only way to protect our country is to stand and fight for every inch of it, not run for the hills and hide.

MaryB
11-13-2015, 01:15 AM
Exactly what I tell people! If you haven't bought rural property 10 years ago and became a member of the community they will not want you and I don't blame them! Resources will be limited and who needs extra mouths to feed plus the trust or lack of factor!

winchester85
11-13-2015, 08:17 PM
i have not desire to become a member of the "community". i want to do my own thing. i do not rely on anyone but myself for 99% of what i do.
if remote alaska didnt have more than half a year of winter, i would have gone there long ago. but then many others would have too.

paul h
11-13-2015, 08:21 PM
Paradise is where you make it.

starmac
11-13-2015, 09:37 PM
Alaska is full too, Actually figure there will at least be a small exodus leaveing if the price of oil stays down for a couple of years. That said, some folks like Alaska winters, it is a big place and weather varies depending on what part od Ak you are in.

rockrat
11-13-2015, 09:51 PM
Read in the Oklahoma city paper that they are calling for low oil prices for about 4 more years:(

MaryB
11-13-2015, 11:33 PM
When AK is warm in winter MN is cold, when MN is warm AK is cold... with temps down to -31 the climate is very similar to the southern part of AK...

Alaska is full too, Actually figure there will at least be a small exodus leaveing if the price of oil stays down for a couple of years. That said, some folks like Alaska winters, it is a big place and weather varies depending on what part od Ak you are in.

garym1a2
11-14-2015, 11:21 AM
When looking for places in the county makes sure no meth-heads are around, nor too many liberals.

rockrat
11-14-2015, 12:11 PM
Maybe around Bentonville, AR? Home of Wal-mart! Plenty of hills there you could get away from people. Also, Hot Springs, AR. Course, you are going from cold to heat/humidity