PDA

View Full Version : opening up Lee bullet sizer

04-10-2008, 07:59 PM
Thanks to all on this site for the info posted about opening up Lee bullet size dies. It works! :drinks:

Lee bullet sizer dies do work extremely well and are a good alternative to running stock piled bullets back thru a lubrisizer... and much less expensive than getting another sizer die. The problem with stock Lee bullet sizers is that they skip some pretty important sizes... like .321", .406", .415", etc. I guess they have to pick the most used or popular???

I have an original Win 76 in 45-75. Most things you read about the cartridge and gun is that the groove is thought to be standard .457" or .458". I've read that even Venturino says it is in that range. Well, the one I have is not! It is .4545" groove diameter.

Now, I could shoot .457 or .458 sized bullets but have found the best place to start is right at groove diameter. And in some rifles- just slightly over-sized bullets may not chamber or may not leave enough "safety" neck clearance. The last thing I want to do is over-pressurize a Win 76 with the toggle link, scissor jack, skinny stove bolt action :)

I took a .454" Lee die and opened it up to .455"... that took about 15 minutes max! Will shoot a few black powder loads with the .455s. Then if needed can easily open the die up in small increments to fine tune. That's the theory anyway... :mrgreen:

WyrTwister
04-14-2008, 02:00 PM
Thanks to all on this site for the info posted about opening up Lee bullet size dies. It works! :drinks:

Lee bullet sizer dies do work extremely well and are a good alternative to running stock piled bullets back thru a lubrisizer... and much less expensive than getting another sizer die. The problem with stock Lee bullet sizers is that they skip some pretty important sizes... like .321", .406", .415", etc. I guess they have to pick the most used or popular???

I have an original Win 76 in 45-75. Most things you read about the cartridge and gun is that the groove is thought to be standard .457" or .458". I've read that even Venturino says it is in that range. Well, the one I have is not! It is .4545" groove diameter.

Now, I could shoot .457 or .458 sized bullets but have found the best place to start is right at groove diameter. And in some rifles- just slightly over-sized bullets may not chamber or may not leave enough "safety" neck clearance. The last thing I want to do is over-pressurize a Win 76 with the toggle link, scissor jack, skinny stove bolt action :)

I took a .454" Lee die and opened it up to .455"... that took about 15 minutes max! Will shoot a few black powder loads with the .455s. Then if needed can easily open the die up in small increments to fine tune. That's the theory anyway... :mrgreen:

I honed out a Lee .457" to .460" for my Marlin .45-70's .

God bless
Wyr

junkbug
04-16-2008, 07:50 AM
What method did you use to hone out your sizer?

Thanks.

Sean

04-16-2008, 01:21 PM
junkbug,
There are probably as many ways to do it as there are people doing it.

For opening the 454" die to .455"

I used a 5" X 3/8" bolt shank with head cut off
Taped a piece of 200 grit paper onto the rod- enough for about three wraps
Chucked the rod in a drill press
Applied some valve grinding compound to the paper
With press running med speed- eased the die onto the rod
Rolled the die (minus the locking ring) with even, side hand pressure
Checked by slugging the die often with .490 soft lead roundballs
Switched to 1500 grit paper and 600 grit compound as die approached .455 target

Go slowly and check often- doesn't take long to remove .001" increments

Photo shows 1500 grit paper taped on rod and die

junkbug
04-16-2008, 02:14 PM
Thanks 405.

Sean

JesterGrin_1
04-17-2008, 12:29 PM
Just a thought but would not a small brake cylinder hone work? Or has anyone tried that? :)