PDA

View Full Version : Thompson Center Smooth Bore Barrel

LAGS
11-01-2015, 02:09 PM
I just aquired a Thompson center .56 cal Smooth Bore Barrel.
What does this thing shoot ?
Is it made for Shot, or Round Balls.
I am sure it wouldnt have any accuracy with a Mini Ball or any type of Slug.
And if it is made for round ball, what size does it shoot ?
I need to find a rear tang also for this barrel , that is 1" across the flats.
I looked at Track of the Wolf and Dixie, but no luck.
I just might have to make my own if I cant find one.

Maven
11-01-2015, 02:50 PM
I have the entire gun, LAGS. It was made to take advantage of Massachusetts' hunting laws/restriction ca. early 1980's or possibly earlier, and thus was made to use a patched RB of .550" diameter although it can be used with shot as well. Mine will shoot a .550" RB + .010" patch + OP wad rather well although some claim to get "rifle like accuracy" using a .535" RB and appropriately thick patches. I tried the latter and found it not to be as accurate in my gun. As for the 1" tang, try EBay or T/C. The latter can be most helpful if you ask for a used 1" tang, which you may get for very little $$$. Hope this helps!

P.S. Search your favorite auction site for a .550" RB mould. I did and got a Lyman for a very good price. Unfortunately, that diameter is not commonly found, but keep looking anyway. Old gun shops, particularly in New England, may have one tucked away somewhere.

bubba.50
11-01-2015, 03:18 PM
at the time these were offered by T/C they also sold .550 roundball moulds for them. i always just used .535 roundballs double-patched with whatever pre-lubed patches wally-world sold. it was deer accurate to 75yds or so. some people use them for shot shootin' by usin' 28ga wads.

i can send you a nice blued T/C Renegade tang for $25.00 if yer interested.

LAGS
11-01-2015, 03:59 PM
Isn't the renegade Tang a 15/16 barrel.
All I have is the Barrel and stock.
I will find a used trigger or lock somewhere, or I may build the lock myself.
I will make all the other parts too, unless I can find them at a super good price.
I dont want to dump a whole lot of money into this project since it is not a popular item here in the desert.
But I want to play with taking a 58 cal Mini Ball, and running it thru a .560 sizer , that has grooves cut into it to make Rifling On the bullet , similar to a rifled shotgun slug.
Any Thoughts ?

bubba.50
11-01-2015, 04:23 PM
a Renegade is what yer barrel came off of. they are all 1 inch. Hawken 45 & 50 cal use 15/16ths barrels/tangs.

Maven
11-01-2015, 05:23 PM
"But I want to play with taking a 58 cal Mini Ball, and running it thru a .560 sizer , that has grooves cut into it to make Rifling On the bullet , similar to a rifled shotgun slug. Any Thoughts ?"

Bobby Hoyt or Ed Rayl may be able to ream and add rifling to that bbl., making it .58cal. and maybe suitable for a Minie if a fast twist is used.

LAGS
11-01-2015, 07:46 PM
@ maven
That was my second option, that I was considering, or the third was to install a liner in the barrel, either bore it out and do a large caliber, or just leave it the .560 and do a smaller caliber.
Those options will be considered once I get all the needed parts, and get it firing.
Heck, I might like having a Buck and Ball gun when it is done.

johnson1942
11-01-2015, 09:42 PM
send the barrel to someone to rebore it to a 58 cal with a 1/72 twist. you will have the best hunting and target muzzleloader you could ever dream of. what a gun that would be.

LAGS
11-01-2015, 09:47 PM
@ Johnson1942
Wouldn't that be a Round Ball only .58 them.
What twist would be best for both R B and Slugs or Sabots ?
Or even a Sabot /Slug only twist ?

bubba.50
11-01-2015, 10:08 PM
Robert Hoyt of Pennsylvania is well known in muzzleloading circles for this type work. when ya contact him, tell him yer plans on what ya want to shoot & he'll advise what type/twist/depth of riflin' ya need.

johnson1942
11-01-2015, 10:29 PM
im sure robert could tell you the twist for the mini ball but to be honest their isnt anything a 58 round ball wont bring down. im not sure what lewis and clark were shooting, either 54 or 58 and they took antelope at 300 yards for food. a 58 round ball is the beginning and end of the best of the best. one needs no other gun after that.

LAGS
11-01-2015, 10:50 PM
Thank you guys,
I will have to check into getting her bored and rifled them.
I would like to give Elk a try with a Black Powder since we dont have grizzley bears here in the desert.
I had a T/C Hawken in 54 and really liked it.
But I like Big Bullets, even in the Smokeless Calibers like the 35 Whelen I built for Elk a few years back.

johnson1942
11-02-2015, 12:12 AM
strange you mentioned the 35 wheelen, i feel it is by far the best cartridge out their for hunting anything in north america, a magnum with out the recoil or noise. it is the creme de le creme of rifle cartridges. remember a 1/72 twist for a 58 round ball. with those two rifles you will need nothing else.

scattershot
11-02-2015, 06:36 PM
I had one of those a few years back. The barrel is 1", and I had very good results with a .530 RB, a .58 Wonder Wad, and a denim patch over 60 grains of ffG . Shot like a rifle to 50 yards. I eventually had Bob Hoyt bore it out to .58 with a roundball twist, and he did a great job. Shoot it "as is" for awhile, you may come to like it just the way it is.

fouronesix
11-02-2015, 06:53 PM
LAGS,
The standard twist for a true hollow base .577 or 58 cal Minié shooter is about 72". A slow twist would work well for both PRB and Minié. For me, a slow twist 58 cal with 7 or 8 groove bore is the "bee's knees".

Hang Fire
11-02-2015, 07:12 PM
I just aquired a Thompson center .56 cal Smooth Bore Barrel.
What does this thing shoot ?
Is it made for Shot, or Round Balls.
I am sure it wouldnt have any accuracy with a Mini Ball or any type of Slug.

Shot or ball? Either one. Accuracy might surprise you with the mini ball. When Green Mountain had their $100.00 fire sale for TC Hawken .54 flintlock smoothbore barrels, I got one. I was surprised at the accuracy of the Lee .54 mini, was pretty consistent 3"-4" groups at 75 yards from the bench.