PDA

View Full Version : Cast Bullet Source - Gardners

JimM
10-29-2015, 11:38 PM
My two sources for cast 170 GC . 321 for my Winchester 32 spl had closed shop. Found Jim Gardner's Cache out of Chicago area online. Placed
order and received the package here in the Houston area in just couple of days. Good price and looks like good quality.
I plan to load a batch this weekend.
I have used both IMR 4064 and more recently, Trailboss, for much softer loads.
I plan to try a different powder, since never of these seem to produce as accurate results as Hornady flex tips. I think I can get
better performance out of the old rifle without stressing it.
Any suggestions on powder for these cast bullets would be appreciated.
Just thought I would pass on the experience with Gardners.

topper88
11-03-2015, 09:35 PM
I've been buying off Jim for over 10 years. It has delayed me casting my own. I use his 155 gr. gas checked .30 cal. in my H&R .30-30, with Bl C-2 powder at 33 grains which is the starting charge recommended by Hodgdon. Gives minute of angle accuracy. I bet if you use starting charge of 35 grains of BL C-2 under it, may have the same luck. The book also says 32 grains of W748 is another starting load to try. Gardners is just great. Also that new LVR powder is worth a look and try but that powder likes a heavier bullet so if you can find some 190-200 grain cast think about it...

toallmy
11-04-2015, 07:59 AM
I have been to the sight a couple of times , but not orderd yet. Checking out the slugs for 12 and 20 gage shotgun , considered some 30 cal as well like to try in my old sears /win 30-30 but have not took the plunge into cast long guns yet. I'm just now working out the short ones . Has eneyone used their cast slugs , sorry about cutting in but very interested . That 30 cal load with g c could be a good start for new long gun caster to get their feet wet.

runfiverun
11-04-2015, 11:22 AM
I use 324 diameter in my old Winchester.
paired up with 4198 it can go from mild to factory +p loads without any sweat.
anything else like 4831-3031 or bulls-eye/unique will pretty much cover the bases too, I think you got a diameter problem not a powder issue.