PDA

View Full Version : Western Bullet Co Warning

Pogo2337
10-29-2015, 06:24 PM
I first want to state that this post is only from my experience with this caster and have read mixed reviews about western bullet co.

If you plan on ordering from them be warned that if your order winds up like mine did you will not be a happy camper. I placed an order for some .458 and .308 gc bullets of several weights with an "in stock" status (hahaha) but after a month of waiting I don't think I'll get them before deer season. Oh and don't waste your time trying to get ahold of them on the phone cause I've tried to ring it off the hook with no luck and sent 3 emails that were probably unread. Anyhow this "experience" isn't ment for me to rant and rave but to remind buyers to research well before buying and don't let cheapest price be the deciding factor on buying. It may save you $, time, and aggrevation.

PS: Get out and hunt. Deer don't kill themselves.

Dusty Bannister
10-29-2015, 09:24 PM
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?273348-Western-Bullet-Co

Welcome to the forum. I have no idea which threads you read that gave him mixed reviews. This is one of the threads that mentions one does not expect Jon to answer the phone. It is a small shop, he apparently keeps very busy and I have never done business with him so can not comment on his processing time. I hope you receive your order soon.

dudel
10-30-2015, 07:38 AM
Welcome. I think ordering and delivery issues may be one of the many reasons why many people here cast their own. Casting gives you independence (as does reloading).

Keep a good stock of supplies, and the waiting for stuff is a minor issue.

There are some here who don't have time to cast, and choose to buy; but then the idea of keeping a good supply on hand solves many problems.

I got caught short many years ago during one of the many panics. Learned my lesson.

reed1911
10-30-2015, 10:11 AM
I've had good luck with them, however with those low prices comes the problems too. Yup, very hard to get a hold of, yup sometimes the order does not ship out due to availability. I have not however had a case where I was charged and the item not shipped.

What I do like is being able to buy a slew of different bullets from various molds to find out what my gun might like before I invest into a mold.

Guesser
10-31-2015, 12:50 PM
Jon was a curmudgeon before he was 30 years old. I used to visit with him at gun shows in Western Montana and learned quickly to be patient with him, that was 20+ years ago and he is only deeper into curmudgeonly behavior. He makes great products slowly, hates telephones and doesn't like to be bothered. Don't blame him for that, I feel much the same way towards most of the same things. Email him and wait, don't email him again, that's provocation, pure and simple. Good products take time, give him the benefit of the doubt......every time!!!

MT Gianni
11-01-2015, 11:14 AM
I went by to see him two weeks ago in Missoula. He was out of the shop but it was full of wood and saws as he is adding shelves. This is different than a Cabelas store front, one man shop that lives life on his terms. Add to that hunting season in MT and there ya go.

dverna
11-01-2015, 12:15 PM
This is the great thing about this site. Most people would stop doing business with Jon because he does not run his operation like a business and he is "different". But if you understand how he works, and you have patience, he can supply a good product in some hard to find bullets.

If someone wants a common bullet fast, Dardas is one of the best companies around. He is also a one man operation but runs it like a business.

https://www.dardascastbullets.com/

BTW, I have no affiliation with Dardas but my buddies and I have purchased 10's of thousands of bullets from him.

dondiego
11-01-2015, 02:37 PM
+1 on Dardas

reed1911
11-02-2015, 08:16 AM
Matt's Bullets is another really good one, also a sponser here, and has a wide array of older harder to find bullets. Very fast shipping and very good prices.

sghart3578
11-02-2015, 09:15 AM
If he wants to live life on his own terms then he should state that on his website. Something like "I am an antisocial human being that will treat a customer with disrespect, but you should keep sending me money anyways because I depend on others to subsidize my independence."

You know, truth in advertising.

RogerDat
11-02-2015, 09:34 AM
There are mass produced, big box store (or wannabe) operations. And there are small I'll do it, do it right, when I get it done I'll let you know. The latter if they do good work or provide a unique skill, service, or product seem to keep plenty busy. I expect better service from an individual as a default but not faster or cheaper. I do prefer getting answers to calls or emails, a good understanding between parties of how this will take place is important.

I worked in a motorcycle shop like that, man was good but he was also over 80 and in no rush. My ex father in law was a builder, same thing. Or as he put it sometimes I work hard all day, sometimes I take a nap in the afternoon and don't come back to work. Being able to build a decent dresser with drawers out of the back of his work van in an afternoon meant he kept as busy as he wanted.

If the pace does not suit you now you know and won't be a repeat customer. Sharing it means others doing their own research have the opportunity to read this and determine how it works for them. Sounds like prompt responses and quick turn around is not going to be on the menu. Pull up a chair and wait or go elsewhere.

sghart3578
11-02-2015, 10:11 AM
"Pull up a chair and wait or go elsewhere."

I couldn't agree more. What I'm saying is that should be made clear before you put out money.

I have had bad experiences with vendors that advertise on this site, but after working it out with them and understanding their situation I chalked it up to experience. But I never did business with them again.

I just ordered a mold from Accurate molds. Before I sent the money they were clear that there was a three week turn around time. No surprises, no complaints.

Alexn20
11-02-2015, 03:25 PM
I try and stick to the old saying as much as possible in life. "If you want something done right, do it yourself." :castmine::castmine:

williamwaco
11-02-2015, 03:44 PM
I dont buy many. Mostly cast my own. When I do buy, I buy SNS casting.com.

tarbe
11-02-2015, 07:20 PM
I have ordered twice from Western Bullet Co and both orders were shipped promptly.

I would order again.

Tim

wingspar
11-03-2015, 07:48 PM
I have ordered from him twice with no problems. Before my first order, I sent an email with a question and got a prompt answer. After reading this thread, I guess my timing was just right for the email. Had he not answered, I might not have ordered, tho he had something I couldn’t seem to find anywhere else. I’ve placed two small orders of 200 bullets each to see how I like them and will be stocking up with the next order.

I just loaded some bullets from Dardas for the first time today. Took him 7 days just to ship them but they seem like real quality.