PDA

View Full Version : 32 cal maxi ball mold

FlintsNSticks
10-28-2015, 07:10 PM
I have a 32 crockett rifle. It shoots a .310 rb w/ .015 patch and 20gr 3f pretty well. Ive been searching for a conical to shoot out of it. 1:48 twist. So i managed to find a guy that had basically lee's 93 gr .311 bullet. He cast them from pure lead. They were to loose, so i tried knurling between 2 med course files and paper patching them. I even went as far as makeing a few of them hollow base by making a jig to hold them whille i drilled the bottom to make the skirt. I used wads and over powder cards and basically every combo in between. Best i could get was about 6-7" groups @ 50 yrd. So i ordered some maxiballs. They were 100grs and shot about a 4" group @ 50yrds after tinkering w powder charge. Settled on 30 gr 3f. I got curious and cut the bottom lube groove and ring off to make the middle ring the base and filed the bottom flat, they came out @ 70 gr. W 30gr 3f they shot 1.5" @ 50yrds. I found 32 cal maxi ball molds at Track of the Wolf but again they are 100gr. I thought about buying one and milling it down but the mold design would be too weak to hold the spur bolt. O i was looking at lee's website and the make custom molds but the set up fee and cost of one mould be $200 ishand 8wk min turnaround. I was wodering if i did make an order would anyone else be willing to order any. Just a thought for now. I just figure itd easier to cast then to cut them everytime i make a batch. Please feel free to respond w/ any info you have reguarding 32 cal mz boolits/loads. Ty

Tatume
10-29-2015, 06:40 AM
Hi Ty, (that sounds neat!)

Tom at http://www.accuratemolds.com/ will make anything you need at a very reasonable cost. His molds are of top notch quality, and his deliver is prompt.

Take care, Tom (different Tom)

Wayne Smith
10-29-2015, 09:05 AM
Except he won't make it hollow based, fyi.

rond
10-29-2015, 09:21 AM
I've had good luck with the Hornady 90 gr. HBWC made for the .32 S&W long. I've also tried .32 ACP 60 gr. HP and a paper towel patch, they didn't do so good.

Tatume
10-29-2015, 12:56 PM
I got curious and cut the bottom lube groove and ring off to make the middle ring the base and filed the bottom flat, they came out @ 70 gr. W 30gr 3f they shot 1.5" @ 50yrds.

It would appear that hollow bases are not needed.

FlintsNSticks
11-01-2015, 02:08 AM
Thanx guys for the info. I sent Tom an email and he drew up a design as i described. Once payday comes im going to order 1. Thanx to Tom and all for the info.