PDA

View Full Version : Lee 401-175 TC and a Hi-Point/nosedives

Boolseye
10-27-2015, 05:02 PM
Anyone else shoot this combo? It's the JCP pistol, not the carbine.
Trying to rule things out, I'm getting lots of nosedives with the boolit
slamming into the bottom of the feedramp. Wondered if the profile
was a problem for this gun (no hi-point slamming, please, just looking for experience)
-BE

Mytmousemalibu
10-27-2015, 06:24 PM
My friend has a coworker hat bought the .40 Hi Point pistol and the gun can't send even 1 magazine's worth downrange without jamming using anything but round nose ball and even that isn't prefect. No RNFP, TC, SWC, HP's, nothing else will feed worth a poo. Same results with all 3 mags he has. Its not my gun so i haven't been able to try fixing it. The owner isn't the brightest light bulb you've ever seen and is content with "it works good if I only load 4 rounds". I told him to send it to Hi Point but he's afraid of being without it.

:groner:

Sorry I coudn't be of actual help other than confirming another 40 with problems.

flashhole
10-27-2015, 06:24 PM
I cast, load and shoot that bullet in my Taurus Millenium 40 S&W. I loaded exactly the COL that was recommended in the Lee manual, trimmed my brass properly and had all kinds of feed problems. The recommended COL had the bullet protruding above the case rim by ~.005".

What solved my problem was seating the bullet sufficiently deep such that the shoulder of the bullet was flush with or just below the case rim. I use HS-6 as my primary powder.

Not saying this is your problem but it was my experience. I really like the bullet and my loads are both accurate and reliable.

Are your loads too light to adequately cycle the action?

kentuckyshooter
10-27-2015, 06:48 PM
I have the smaller c9 that i have only used ball ammo with. 124 gr. Rn Tl and i had a few feed issues with the new 10 rd mag i bought. To my calipes and compaired the 10 rounder to my 8 rounder that came with the gun and the ears on the mags were closer togather on the 10. Bent them out to the same speck as the 8. Problem solved. Take 1 of ur mags and play with difrent ear withs. Might clear up the problem. If not it didnt cost anything to try.

mongoose33
10-27-2015, 07:31 PM
I don't know if this is the kind of thing you're talking about, but I had a HiPoint 9mm pistol and ended up selling it because it wouldn't feed some of my reloads.

Worked ok with commercial ball ammo, but when I had this jam, I was almost unable to free it. And that was the point where I said goodbye:

Boolseye
10-27-2015, 08:57 PM
AwWow, mongoose, that sucker look caught between the barrel and the slide! Rough!:shock:

Thanks for your posts guys. You've definitely got the sense of it. It's weird 'cause my other Hi-Points eat anything (they're 9s and .380s). Flashhole, loading them down to the edge of the cone is worth a try, for sure. This boolit has such a wide meplat that's it's got to be up and out of the mag or it just gets whaled into the feed ramp (see pic)

Kentucky, that's a good suggestion. Nice thing about Hi-Points, you're never gonna break the bank. I have been messing with the ears, opened 'em up more tonight, we'll see whether it helps.

p.s. Got a heads-up from the guys at the hi-point forum to look to the black plastic tab that overhangs the top of the mag. I have a feeling this will solve my problem.

mongoose33
10-28-2015, 08:16 AM
In that pic above, it doesn't look to me like the cartridge is sitting flush with the feed lips--in other words, instead of angling up a bit (which would ease entry onto the feed ramp and into the chamber), it appears more likely to run into...something.

Those feed lips should present the round at the proper angle for feeding, and what you show there isn't likely to be successful, at least from what I can see.

Boolseye
10-28-2015, 09:48 AM
Yes, exactly. That's an example of the nosediving I'm trying to correct.

Silverboolit
10-28-2015, 06:54 PM
Could the follower be in backwards?? Just a guess if you took mag apart to clean it.

jcren
10-28-2015, 09:39 PM
Could the follower be in backwards?? Just a guess if you took mag apart to clean it.

Check this or follower tilt. That pic has the nose way low.

Boolseye
10-28-2015, 10:33 PM
Thanks for your input guys-that photo is
of a malfunction. Normally the mag works fine. Follower's in right, the problem seems to be the plastic tab at the nose of the bullet. I cut some of it off and it seems to be solving the problem.
thanks again for chiming in!