PDA

View Full Version : boolit cast to small

compass will
04-09-2008, 01:30 PM
Its a .452 lee mold, when I cast with straight WW, then run the boolit through a .452 sizer it doe'nt "cut" the boolit all the way around. .001" extra would be nice.
I plan to "lap" the mold with the screw in the boolet trick this weekend.

I read something, but can't recall what or where. Does adding more lead make it cast a little bigger? It looks like I need to add some tin anyway, but I don't have any yet. Matter of fact I don't have much straight lead either. but I got 250 lbs of WW muffins stored away, plus 1 more bucket ready to smelt.

GSM
04-09-2008, 02:03 PM
Lino will make them a little bigger.

Look for threads on "beagling". I think it involves a little strip of foil tape on the mould face.

44man
04-09-2008, 03:43 PM
Anything with antimony will grow a little with some lino a little larger. It takes some time after casting to measure it, they will be smaller right out of the mold.
If you increase the lead temp, it will expand the mold more and make the boolits a little larger too. Just don't get too hot.

compass will
04-09-2008, 03:55 PM
If you increase the lead temp, it will expand the mold more and make the boolits a little larger too. Just don't get too hot.

I did notice the ones that were frosted did appear to be big enough that the sizer cleaned up all the way around when it is sized.