PDA

View Full Version : Lyman 4 Cav Handles

Denver
10-12-2005, 11:31 PM
The handles for the Lyman 4 cav blocks look like they'd be awkward and slow to use, so I was wonderin if the Lee 6 cav handles would work?

Buckshot
10-13-2005, 01:22 AM
............Denver, they won't fit without work. The Lee 6 cavity handles are .312" thick, and the handle groove on the Lyman 4 cavity blocks are .250" wide. That's only .062" difference and in a milling machine could be taken down in one pass. With a file, you're looking at a career :D

There may be other issues, but I think they could be overcome. One might be attachment screw diameter, and another might be if the Lee handles would open far enough. Since the Lee's have a kind of box hinge setup some work with a Dremel could easily have them opening to maybe 60* or so?

Remember, closing radius is important to the alignment pins and thier recieveing holes. Allowing the radiused nose of the pin to bang against the side (edge) of the hole and then slop on in won't really do the block any good. They should be fairly well lined up when they come together.

...............Buckshot

James Wisner
10-13-2005, 01:06 PM
Check out the current Lyman 4 cav handles.
They look like Saeco handles.
I thought first maybe a photo swap, but last week on eBay a guy had a pair in the box with GOOD pics of the box lable and then the handles.

I have a problem with the old 4 cav handles. when the spure plate comes back and hits my hand. So was going to redo some handles or recut the mould slots.

But I see that Lyman just redesigned them so I will give that a try next time I order from a supplier.

Jim Wisner

Denver
10-13-2005, 07:57 PM
Thanks Buckshot. Didn't know about the narrower slots for the handles in these. Never owned or used the Lyman 4 cav molds. I have a Lachmiller 3 cav with the same quarter inch slots in it. Thought about milling down a set of Lee handles for it some time. I expect they'll work OK for the Lachmiller blocks and if they'll do double duty for the Lyman, so much the better.

Jim;

The latest Midsouth catalog shows the old style Lyman 4 cav handles at about $24. They may have the new style, but didn't change the illustration.