PDA

View Full Version : Sizers..Lee vs Lyman

218bee
04-09-2008, 08:55 AM
I'm sure this has been done before but was wondering about the pros and cons of the above two lubrisizers. I bought a used Lyman 450 and do not have any dies for it yet and the one thing that intrigues me about the Lee, is the fact that it sizes nose first and that would seem to be a better route, or not?? Is the Lee just for "tumble lube" applications or are bullets lubed by hand and then sized?? What is you guys take on the benefits of each

jcwit
04-09-2008, 12:46 PM
I started out using a Lee sizer & tumble lube. The only problem/dislike I had to the system was after seating bullets I would get a buildup of lube on the end of the bullet seating part of the die, this allowed the bullet to be seated deeper & deeper in the case if not cleaned out. I've since aquired 2 of the old Lyman #45 lube sizers, no more problem. I also like to make my own lube & this can't be done with tumble lube, at least the way I want to. BTY Re: Lee I use most of their products and am totally satisfied, I think their dies are an excellent value for the money.

454PB
04-09-2008, 01:11 PM
The Lee system works, and is inexpensive. The Lee system works with both tumble lube and conventional lube designs. When I use the Lee sizer, I lubricate with case resizing lube, size, then lubricate with LLA. The Lyman/RCBS lubrisizers are faster and do a good job. The Star has it all, sizing nose first, lubricating, and much faster than either the Lee or Lyman/RCBS.

I've never seen any definitive proof that sizing nose first produces a better or more accurate boolit, as long as the nose punch on a Lyman/RCBS fits and is centered in the ram.

TAWILDCATT
04-14-2008, 09:58 PM
The lee is like the old times did.I just sized a batch of 32s.it was far quicker than the lyman[I have 2 no 45s] because their so small.you dont need a special nose punch with the Lee.same with the star.also theres no extra motion with the Lee as it captures the ejected bullets.:coffee:--[smilie=1:--:Fire:

monadnock#5
04-15-2008, 07:38 PM
I have both Lee and Lyman sizers. I like both. Both systems have their strengths and weaknesses. They both get the job done.

If I had to recommend one over the other, Lyman would get the nod. If you go to the Midway catalog and compare the inventory of Lee vs Lyman/RCBS sizing dies, you'll see why.