PDA

View Full Version : My boy did it!

southpaw
10-24-2015, 07:17 PM
I have been taking him out hunting for the past few years. The first couple were just to get him out and show him what we do. This year he was able to shoot pretty well with just a front rest. He is using a 30-30 contender with a shortened stock. He was hitting the deer target pretty well at 50 yards so we got a little more serious this year. Btw he is 8.

Thursday, Friday and Saturday were the youth hunt. We didn't see anything Thursday but we tried a field that my brother told me that he say deer coming out into the last couple of days. We got there at 1645. I figured that we had about and hour before the deer would be coming out but was watching none the less. Not as good as I should have been since one seemed to materialize in the middle of the field. He got the cross hairs on it and asked if he could shoot. I told him if he was aiming right behind the shoulders and he wasn't wobbling too much. He shot and the deer bucked and took off running. We went up to the store and found my brother, waited a half hour then went looking for it. It fell just past the last place we could see it.

Lets see if I can get some pics on here.

Not a monster but a good clean kill (heart) at ~80 yards. I was shaking more than he was. He kept his composure very well.

Jerry Jr.

MarkP
10-24-2015, 07:36 PM
Congratulations!

It is a great feeling isn't it? My Daughter shot her first deer at age 10.

Rockydog
10-24-2015, 07:39 PM
Congratulations to the young man. And congratulations to you for taking the time to educate him in the ways of the outdoors. He has a start in life that will serve him well.

Brings back memories too. My son and I sat a field 3 days in a row and bumped deer after shooting hours each day. The hay was tall enough that we planned to sit in the hay at the head of a draw that they had been coming up. When we got there the farmer had cut the hay! The only thing standing was a big burdock plant. He sat behind it and I laid down in a dead furrow. The deer were in standing corn and we were close enough to hear them chewing. Like you, I'm sure my heart was pounding harder than my son's. Finally one popped out into the hayfield. The .54 caliber Ethan Allen barked and the deer dropped. Small enough that it still had two spots. LOL but it was his first deer. 22 years ago but I remember it like yesterday. You will 22 years from now too. RD

Gibbs44
10-24-2015, 07:42 PM
Good job to both of you.

John Allen
10-24-2015, 08:51 PM
Congrats to him, I am sure you and him will remember this for all your life.

southpaw
10-25-2015, 12:13 AM
Thanks guys!

I must say the little bugger is quite the shot. Since he has been about 4 he has been shooting pieces of clay birds at 50 yards. He has always been precise. He wouldn't shoot unless he had the target in sight. I am sure in the next few years when he starts shooting free hand that he will do good with that.

On a side note his uncle (the Mrs. brother) who is 4 years older (almost 13) has always been competitive with him. He didn't shot a deer till he was 11. I have to give my boy credit, he hasn't rubbed it in. He is happy and thankful for taking the deer's life. He is somewhat sadden by it but knows that it will help feed us.

As Phil would say, I am happy happy happy.

Now, I have to keep him going and bring his younger sisters down the path...

BRING IT ON!!

Jerry Jr.

lightman
10-25-2015, 09:06 AM
It don't get much better than that! Good on you and congrats to him!

petroid
10-25-2015, 09:15 AM
Way to go! Congrats to you both!

nagantguy
10-25-2015, 09:44 AM
Good for the both of you, you sir have taken time and thought and interacted with your childern, taught them skills and where food comes from, and I'd wager heavily that you've taught them right from wrong and the value of hard work. Thank you for being a true father!! Bless you and yours. And I know what you mean when my daughter got her first in September I was a wreck and she was as cool as ice. Acted like this happened everyday.

Hickok
10-25-2015, 10:42 AM
Outstanding! You sir are a great American!

Thanks for posting the story and the great pictures.

4719dave
10-25-2015, 10:44 AM
Oh that's so cool...I still remember the first deer I ever shot .proud papa

MrWolf
10-25-2015, 11:00 AM
Congrats to both of you. I sometimes wish my father had done the same.

merlin101
10-25-2015, 11:09 AM
8 Years old, wow you are creating a lifetime of special memories for your son that he will fondly remember long after your gone.

jonp
10-25-2015, 11:50 AM
First deer at 8 and one shot at that! He will remember that the rest of his life. I was 10 or 12 and remember that small doe like it was yesterday. Good job

RKJ
10-25-2015, 11:51 AM
Good on him (and Dad). My Grandson and I are going this weekend, hopefully we'll see one and he'll get a shot. He's 7 (8 in December) and like your son a very good shot (from a rest) he's always telling me he's a better shot than I am. We'll see when he gets older, (he'll probably out shoot me) :) He's really excited about going and at the very least we'll have a good time together. I'll have 3 going next year (his little brother 6, and their cousin (my Granddaughter) also 6) that will be interesting. Again, Good on you and your Son!!

bdicki
10-25-2015, 01:21 PM
Some good eating there, congratulations.

EMC45
10-26-2015, 09:25 AM
WELL DONE! Awesome trophy. That little Contender looks like a perfect fit. Got my my wheels turning for my G2 and my kids, (7,9, and 12) That is also a pretty intense beard Sir.