PDA

View Full Version : Cockroaches

starmac
10-24-2015, 06:30 PM
I ran into a lady that was talking about roaches the other day. I finally ask where, because we do not have them here at all as far as I know.
It turns out she imported and raises them, for lizard food. We also do not have lizards here either, unless someone brings one in.

I douldn't belive it, but then I was raised in East Texas, where they had roaches that would slap turkeys around for the fun of it.

gwpercle
10-24-2015, 07:13 PM
Looks like You got them now ! Why raise roaches for lizard food if you don't have lizards to feed !

We didn't have Nutria in Louisiana until some one imported them.
Now we got lizards, cockroaches , termites, mosquito's and Nutria, not to mention the armadillos the East Texans sent over .

Gary

snowwolfe
10-24-2015, 07:51 PM
You got to be kidding me about not thinking Alaska has roaches, lol. In my past
life I inspected all the food serving and storage facilities on and around Eielson AFB as well as Fairbanks back in the 70's. Trust me, Alaska has just as many roaches as any other state and that includes personal dwellings as well.

starmac
10-24-2015, 08:45 PM
That is strange, I have never seen , or of heard anybody mention seeing them here in the 10 years or so I have been hanging around here. You are the first I have heard mention them, I just figured they were like snakes and the climate didn't suit them.

gwpercle, don't forget love bugs, they aren't even a real bug. lol

Sweetpea
10-24-2015, 09:28 PM
Yeah, growing up in Michigan, I had never seen a roach.

We definitely have them in Utah!

runfiverun
10-24-2015, 10:36 PM
I vividly remember the roaches down in texas.
that was when I quit buying black lighters.

Love Life
10-24-2015, 10:38 PM
There are roaches down here that'll rob you and make you buy them smokes.

375supermag
10-25-2015, 08:21 AM
"Cockroaches"
I thought this was going to be a discussion about liberals.

starmac
10-25-2015, 01:58 PM
Well I do figure the lady raising the roaches, was probably a liberal, does that help. lol

shooter93
10-25-2015, 06:18 PM
No one mentions them starmac because if they hear you are bad mouthing them they will hunt you down and eat you.

farmerjim
10-25-2015, 06:36 PM
They can't live outside in that climate, but they can live inside a dwelling. You bring them or their eggs inside with food furniture and other things that have places they can hide. Like the old roach hotel, "they can come in, but they can never leave". I did not have any roaches in my barn. I bought a used refrigerator from a restaurant and put it in the barn. That night ( we were living in the back of the barn at that time) they were everywhere. I tried all the insecticides and nothing would kill them. Finally used an insect growth regulator. It took a month but it got them.

starmac
10-25-2015, 07:34 PM
I can see that, I have just never heard of them hear, and my wife is runs the house keeping dept of a large hotel here, which includes a restaurant and bar.

bedbugbilly
10-25-2015, 08:03 PM
Trust me Sweetpea . .. . . Michigan has cockroaches . . . .

Now if you lived in Florida . . . I can remember my mother (my folks wintered there) saying . . . "it's not a cockroach .. it's a Palmetto Bug" . . . . hmmm . . . could've fooled me!

Just like any nasty little critter . . . . they get transported in shipments of goods, etc.

farmerjim
10-25-2015, 08:21 PM
Palmetto Bug = American Cockroach

leeggen
10-25-2015, 09:43 PM
When I was in bootcamp in Great Lakes the cockroaches and the mice used to square off for night battles. Well it seemed like that, those old huts had wood floors and you could hear the roaches at night run acroos the floor. Was real glad when we moved to the new concrete buildings. Although I did have a pet roach aboad ship, he came out every evening for a bread crust. I think Florida has the biggest with the palmetto bug.
CD

starmac
10-26-2015, 02:08 AM
East Texas has some that will give them Florida roaches a run for the money, don't matter what you call them as long as they don't hear you. lol

NavyVet1959
10-26-2015, 12:00 PM
A few years ago, the city was replacing a section of sidewalk in front of my house. I didn't have any cockroaches in my house (probably because I'm not afraid to make the entire area toxic with chemicals), but when they lifted the old piece of sidewalk, there are quite a few under it. According to the guys I spoke with, they also live in the sewers, so they don't get affected by what little bit of winter we sometimes get around here.

deep creek
10-26-2015, 10:40 PM
:?in 1967 we moved from phan rang to long bin i swear there were so many cockroaches in our food the cooks quit serving meat !! cockroach the other white meat

Geraldo
10-27-2015, 08:52 AM
Palmetto Bug = American Cockroach

Palmetto Bug=Florida woods roach. Although many people commonly call any roach a palmetto bug. Recent immigrants from the north just call them all roaches.

farmerjim
10-27-2015, 09:37 AM
When I lived in Canada, we would go to visit friends in Miami and the keys for 2 or 3 weeks every winter. What they called the palmetto bug was for sure the American cockroach. We don't have the Florida woods cockroach here in Louisiana, but I think we have almost every other species.
Most people don't care what species of roach they see. As you stated " Recent immigrants from the north just call them all roaches"
After they have been down south long enough they become proficient in the fine art of Roach classification.
From wikipedia "The Florida woods cockroach looks remarkably similar to the female Oriental cockroach (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oriental_cockroach) (blatta orientalis), and the two could be mistaken for each other by the casual observer. The American cockroach (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_cockroach) (Periplaneta americana), another common Florida insect, is sometimes mistakenly referred to as a palmetto bug.[2] (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Florida_woods_cockroach#cite_note-poertner1997-2)[6]"

(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Florida_woods_cockroach#cite_note-common2-6)

N4AUD
10-27-2015, 10:02 AM
Finely powdered boric acid will kill them. I HATE the things, never saw one until I went to college. I was stationed in Montgomery Alabama, we had the huge ones there. Seems like they were under anything stored outside or in storage buildings. You never brought a cardboard box inside without inspecting it for roaches. It was a real battle living in base housing to keep them out.

popper
10-27-2015, 11:22 AM
You do remember the pic of the 2 roaches on the hill, mushroom cloud in the background, caption 'we got it all to ourselves now'. Boric acid powder gets rid of them. They like to lay eggs in cardboard, so don't store any old boxes in your dwelling.

grumman581
10-27-2015, 11:37 AM
:?in 1967 we moved from phan rang to long bin i swear there were so many cockroaches in our food the cooks quit serving meat !! cockroach the other white meat

Live cockroaches taste pretty disgusting and bitter.

(unfortunate personal experience) (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?206480-What-quot-s-the-worst-thing-you-ever-ate&p=2372089&viewfull=1#post2372089)

starmac
10-27-2015, 11:44 PM
Live cockroaches taste pretty disgusting and bitter.

(unfortunate personal experience) (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?206480-What-quot-s-the-worst-thing-you-ever-ate&p=2372089&viewfull=1#post2372089)

I will be plenty content takeing your word for it. lol