PDA

View Full Version : What do you think of the new lee 2 cav molds

Lloyd Smale
10-24-2015, 12:19 PM
Got one in a 320 grain 475 bullet. I really like the fact there putting locating pins in them now but the mold looks like the milled away the bottom part of the sides of the mold and it just gets hot to fast now. Might work fine with smaller bullets but they need to go back to full sized square blocks on these big molds.

HABCAN
10-24-2015, 01:03 PM
Just got the 8mm: it heats quickly and works great. I can see what you mean though, for larger boolits.

A pause for the COZ
10-24-2015, 02:26 PM
I have a couple of them. They do ok, I too wish they kept the old block size and just added the pins though.
They do heat up faster, and get too hot faster. But I also found there is allot of slop when closing the molds.
I have to sit them on a flat surface when I close them if I want to insure a square close.
But I guess it is what it is. A cheap mold that gets the job done.

JonB_in_Glencoe
10-24-2015, 02:30 PM
Yep, I noticed the quick to overheat thing, with the 501-440 RF

rondog
10-24-2015, 03:02 PM
I recently sent back a C358-125-RF because the front alignment pin wouldn't stay put, it kept pushing back into its hole and the mold wouldn't index back squarely all the time. I could tap the pin back into place with a punch, but it wouldn't stay, it would slide back. Made good bullets when aligned, but junk when it wasn't. I expect a new one any day now, not cost effective to repair that one.

I also have a C429-240-SWC bought the same day, and it works just dandy. Although the bullets weigh closer to 253 than 240.....

rking22
10-24-2015, 03:49 PM
I like them, they're not NOE quality, but NOEs don't sell for 20$ either. Have to keep in perpective that the mould cost less than 100 bullets! I have a 375 255 that is the easiest casting mould I've ever had and the boolits come out the right size. The 358 200 , not so much, but it is still a very servicable mould for 20$. Much better than the old 2 cavity design, have several of those and they require much more attention when closing. The new ones will slip the pin if not aligned when you close it , espciially when hot, and they do get HOT.

jmorris
10-24-2015, 06:57 PM
I have a block of aluminum I set my 500gn 458 mold on as it too heats up very quickly.

For the price they are not a bad deal though.

bangerjim
10-24-2015, 07:12 PM
I just hate s-l-o-w 2 cavity molds, but that is all I can find in some designs. The newer LEE's all have pins rather than those stupid bars.

Stick to 4,5, & 6 cavity molds when you can! Much faster and more efficient.

banger

MarkP
10-24-2015, 07:28 PM
I have the same mold as rking22 for 38-55's, and like his it is one of my best functioning molds. I like the new molds better than the old extruded blocks. The new style in 22 Bator the smaller blocks maintain heat quite well. I own multiple brands including several customs in brass, cast iron, & Aluminum.
You can buy a higher quality mold but at their price point nothing is close making them a pretty good deal.

Lloyd Smale
10-25-2015, 07:51 AM
that's no diffent then there 6 cav molds.
I recently sent back a C358-125-RF because the front alignment pin wouldn't stay put, it kept pushing back into its hole and the mold wouldn't index back squarely all the time. I could tap the pin back into place with a punch, but it wouldn't stay, it would slide back. Made good bullets when aligned, but junk when it wasn't. I expect a new one any day now, not cost effective to repair that one.

I also have a C429-240-SWC bought the same day, and it works just dandy. Although the bullets weigh closer to 253 than 240.....

Lloyd Smale
10-25-2015, 07:52 AM
yup this design is one of them. If I could have got a 6 cav in it it would have been a no brainer
I just hate s-l-o-w 2 cavity molds, but that is all I can find in some designs. The newer LEE's all have pins rather than those stupid bars.

Stick to 4,5, & 6 cavity molds when you can! Much faster and more efficient.

banger

RobS
10-25-2015, 11:48 AM
Try yourself a wet folded hand towel set down beside you and before each refill place the bottom of the mold on it for a few seconds. This helps keep the mold cooler. The blocks are smaller for sure on these new two cavity molds and it's kind of a PITA with the larger boolits.

gwpercle
10-25-2015, 06:53 PM
I only have new ones in .30 and .303 rifle and two in 9mm, and one each in 357, 41 and 45acp , all double cavity....but I like every one and I like the new mould design. No complaints about them . A $20.00 mould with handles, SWEET !
I guess my only complaint is, I would like to see a few more in 41 magnum with regular lube grooves (they only have two in .410).
Gary

dilly
10-25-2015, 06:58 PM
If I get a mold overheating too quickly, one of the things I do is get another mold out and stay casting with two at a time. Doesn't have to be the same design mold. Doesn't really solve the problem but it sure takes the edge off of my impatience.

Lloyd Smale
10-26-2015, 08:48 AM
I was casting this mold along with two others at the same time and it still would stay cool. Probably just wait for winter to cast more. temps are colder then and I like to take a coffee can full of snow and use it to cool molds with as I cast.

Mica_Hiebert
10-26-2015, 09:25 AM
I have the 400 grain .475 mould it makes nice bullets had to do a little work to make it drop right. have to give my 2 cents bout your snow trick. water and molten lead are huge no no's! stuff will explode every where and you dont want 600 degree metal air cooling on your skin!

paul h
10-26-2015, 09:55 AM
Try yourself a wet folded hand towel set down beside you and before each refill place the bottom of the mold on it for a few seconds. This helps keep the mold cooler. The blocks are smaller for sure on these new two cavity molds and it's kind of a PITA with the larger boolits.

Beat me to it. The wet hand or shop towel to cool a mold is the ticket. I've cast 10's of thousands of heavy pistol bullets and with 300 - 470 gr bullets it's pretty much a must.

Lloyd Smale
10-26-2015, 05:20 PM
Molds empty when you stick it in the snow to cool. Even if it wasn't the lead inside your mold and snow sure cant get in it. Isnt like your opening the spruce plate up with the lead still molten and dumping snow on it. Been doing it for more then 30 years and the lead hasn't jumped out of a mold yet

rbuck351
10-27-2015, 09:15 AM
I have a couple of the new molds and I like them. I have a small fan (about 4") right by where I dump my boolits. As soon as I fill the mold (after reaching casting temp) I hold it in front of the fan which speeds up the sprue setting and helps keep the mold at working temp. One is the 12ga 1oz and it never seems to get too hot with the fan running on it. With my 32 cal rb mold it's hard to get it to hot. The little fan removes quite a lot of heat.

robg
10-28-2015, 06:11 AM
i like to use several molds at a time ,gives them a chance to cool without having to wait forever for one to cool.three is my norm

slim1836
10-28-2015, 03:18 PM
Perhaps a heat sink attached to the outside faces may cure the overheating issue. :cool:

Slim

ukrifleman
10-28-2015, 04:24 PM
I have 7 Lee moulds, but only one of the new design in 8x56R Hungarian and it is the best by far.

ukrifleman.