PDA

View Full Version : Tanning

garbear
10-23-2015, 04:16 PM
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/10/23/c0a0c25ae31e93b8202ff372167fa000.jpg

I fleshed and dried the hide. I didn't salt I'm Assuming the hair will fall out

I have one more deer hide to flesh out and if my sister tags her elk I'll have that hide. I don't care about hair on the elk. I'll attempt brain tan on the elk. I'm excited to learn how to do this.

trapper9260
10-23-2015, 04:54 PM
The way I tan hides or skins is to salt them and then let set over night and then flesh them and then I use the alum and salt and water.But to remove the hair i use had wood ashes and lime and rain water.keep the skin under water all the time and the hair will fall off and then scrape the skin again and then rinse out and then put in the alum and salt and water and move around once a day for about 3 days or till turn white and then rise out in borax and water and then use neatsfoot oil with water and have it hot and brush it on the flesh side and roll the skin up on the flesh side and let sit over night and then work it the next day and keep that up till you get it as soft as you want it and then stop the oil and just work the leather till it is dry and then after it is dry for the finish touch I use medum sand paper on the flesh side over my knee and sand it down lightly and then you have you leather.I have not done the brain but I know you need to get the hair off and you do ot want the hide to rot.and then they used hard wood ashes to remove the hair.hope any of this will help.

garbear
10-23-2015, 05:43 PM
Thanks. What about the skin that I've dried. Can I move to next step if salt water and alum

Artful
10-23-2015, 06:38 PM
Ah, Shoot ... I was thinking
http://images.familyleisure.com/buyer_guides/tanning_bed/tanning_bed.jpg
And my neighbor runs a chain of salon's, So I could ask him questions.

garbear
10-23-2015, 06:40 PM
Lol. I don't need coffee out nose. Thanks

dragonrider
10-23-2015, 09:20 PM
ah, shoot ... I was thinking
http://images.familyleisure.com/buyer_guides/tanning_bed/tanning_bed.jpg
and my neighbor runs a chain of salon's, so i could ask him questions.

i was hoping!!!!

sljacob
10-24-2015, 08:57 AM
If you are going to brain tan, there are several good u-tube videos on it. pay close attention to scraping the hair off. You need to get the top layer of dermis off as well as the hair. Basically you are making suede.

I have a few deer and a elk hide that I am going to try to brain tan this winter. This is a new endeavor for me and the learning curve has been steep so far.

DLCTEX
10-24-2015, 09:32 AM
Salt the hide as a first step to draw out moisture and preserve it while tanning. Otherwise you may cause the hair to slip.

Bad Water Bill
10-24-2015, 11:14 AM
I bet if you can get that WACKY SUPIE guy in Montana to ask his old mountain buddies they can probably tell you just how the injuns did it back when.

waksupi
10-24-2015, 11:42 AM
If you want the no-BS method, get the book, Deerskins into Buckskins.

garbear
10-24-2015, 03:30 PM
Thanks. I'll get it. Sister hunting elk guided hunt nephew same hunt. Probaly tag. Both offered hides to me if they get their cows.

trapper9260
10-25-2015, 02:57 PM
Thanks. What about the skin that I've dried. Can I move to next step if salt water and alum
You can as long the skin is flesh and if you want the hair to remove.You will have to remove it before it gose in the solution.

garbear
10-25-2015, 07:00 PM
Thanks. I just grabbed a elk hide. My sister shot a cow last night. I helped skin and quarter. I got the brain and sinew. Grabbed the big bones and ivory.

garbear
10-25-2015, 07:04 PM
Thanks. I just grabbed a elk hide. My sister shot a cow last night. I helped skin and quarter. I got the brain and sinew. Grabbed the big bones and ivory.
She hit it in the neck. The guide said he wad impressed with her shot. Heard him day it on her husband's video. The hunt was on a Mormon owned ranch in northern Utah. Cow wad the Tag she drew.

John Allen
10-25-2015, 07:23 PM
If you want the no-BS method, get the book, Deerskins into Buckskins.

should have known that Waksupi knew about a book explaining it. Now I have to find the book!!!

Bad Water Bill
10-26-2015, 03:48 AM
I just googled the title and found 4-5 sources both books,DVDs and others.

Try it now and you might have a new warm set of skins before the snow flies.[smilie=s:

Geezer in NH
10-27-2015, 05:38 PM
http://www.pcsoutdoors.com/trappershidetanformula.aspx works great!!