PDA

View Full Version : Wow did I get lucky

bpost1958
04-08-2008, 08:45 PM
...........With the results out of my Encore 375 H&H. It is putting five 375-250-FN pushed by 24 grains of Blue Dot into 1-1/4 inch at 100 yards. I shot this right at dark in a rather stiff variable wind. To me that is a WOW!

One word of caution; Please make sure you use screws that reach the bottom of the base mounting holes in heavy recoiling calibers. I was SMASHED in the face leaving a big cut between my eyes by the scope-rings-base assembly a couple of weeks ago. The short Weaver screws, supplied with the mount, stripped right out of the barrel, held by only one or two threads.

I emailed Weaver and they supplied over length screws free. I used Mike Bellm's system of custom cutting and filing each screw to match the depth of each hole. I used a bottom 6-48 tap to make sure the threads went to the bottom of the hole. Each hole measured .200 deep. I also epoxied the mount and screws to the barrel. I am getting too old and ugly to keep adding scars between my eyes.

(....and, no I was not wearing shooting glasses, my bad.)

I also learned that a muzzle break adds considerable stresses to the scope mount with rapid conflicting stresses.

dromia
04-09-2008, 01:19 AM
Good load, good shooting bp.:-D

Bet you won't forget your shooting glasses again!

Never trust to luck with your eyes.

beagle
04-09-2008, 11:23 AM
Sounds like a pretty good load. Be careful with Blue Dot in cold,damp weather as I've had really erratic results with it in the .375 H & H./beagle

Pilgrim
04-09-2008, 12:04 PM
Blue Dot is known for being sensitive to cold temperaqtures. It was the rage for magnum shotshells when it first appeared, then the duck and goose hunters discovered the erratic ignition in cold weather. It doesn't like cold weather. FWIW Pilgrim

Dale53
04-10-2008, 12:14 AM
>>>One word of caution; Please make sure you use screws that reach the bottom of the base mounting holes in heavy recoiling calibers. I was SMASHED in the face leaving a big cut between my eyes by the scope-rings-base assembly a couple of weeks ago. The short Weaver screws, supplied with the mount, stripped right out of the barrel, held by only one or two threads.<<<

This is a pet peeve of mine. NO scope base screws should be smaller than 8x40. It is just something we have to live with and maximize what we have via your method of engaging as many threads as possible. It was a bad idea when started and everyone just keeps on drilling and tapping for the "way too small" 6x48 screws. Every time that I have to drill and tap something for a scope mount, I take that opportunity to go with the larger 8x40's. I have NEVER had a problem with 8x40's.

FWIW
Dale53