PDA

View Full Version : Nose pour

Tatume
10-22-2015, 09:29 AM
Have any of you experienced a significant improvement in accuracy from using a nose pour mold?

chboats
10-22-2015, 10:17 AM
I have a Hoch 180gr 30 cal nose pour. It is the most accurate boolit I have for my in my 308. I don't know if it is because it is a nose pour or if it is because all of the dimensions are right for the gun.

Carl

country gent
10-22-2015, 10:41 AM
Tatume, Years ago while I was working I converted a lyman 535 grm postel to nose pour, it went down to around 528grns due to machining the base to get the new pour hole size. I then fittoed a blank plate over base and a new 1/4" thk sprue plate to nose end. these were tied together with a piece of round stock cut to correct length and bolted between the two plates. Mould casts great ullets with a base Im afraid is going to cut my fingers handling. Compared to bullets cast before converting to after there is a small increase in accuracy. But the real increase with this mould is consistency, wieght square bases fill out and such. It does cast much better and there is a slight improvement in the accuracy (maybe 1/4 moa or so.) Bullet drop much easier from it now, wieghts are more consistant, bases are very sharp and fill out seems more complete. My brook nose pour PP mould exhibits the same traits but wasnt previously a base pour to compare before or after samples .

Scharfschuetze
10-22-2015, 11:37 AM
I use a Hoch nose pour mold for a 190 grain 30 calibre boolit (my design) and it consistently produces my most accurate boolits for the 308 and the 30/06. That might be because it is a single cavity block, but Dave Farmer uses a lathe to cut the cavity, so the boolits are "to order" as far as diameter and uniformity of diameter. I've been using it since about 1977 or so and it's still going strong.

Here's a link for Hoch molds:

http://hochmoulds.com/

frnkeore
10-22-2015, 12:15 PM
My shooting disipline, ASSRA single shots (ISSA also), is where the nose pour molds came from. The most famous of these is the Pope nose pour molds. They have sold for more that $1200 on Ebay.

While some people still shoot them in competition, all the top shooters have gone to base pour Spitzers. I believe any accuracy increase will come from how round the bullet is and it's bullets fit in the chamber, not which end it pours from.

Also, many people have trouble casting with the nose pour. The trouble usually goes away when they get both top and bottom plates hot enough and their cadence down so as to keep them hot. Many use a hot plate and pour extra lead over the top plate, to keep it hot.

Frank

44man
10-22-2015, 03:10 PM
That is what I found, boolit and size plus keeping up to temp. I could never tell if one was more accurate. A perfect base can be cast with a base pour too.

Aunegl
10-22-2015, 03:18 PM
My avatar shows all three bullets made from Hoch molds. At their website, Sample Drawing 9 is my design. My first mold was a .44-320 grain FP-GC. It has a .25" meplat, 0.900" length. Dave Farmer made that one for me in the early 90s. I was doing a lot of silhouette shooting at the time and I was getting tired of ringing rams. My second design was a .310-210 grain FP-GC. It has a .10" meplat, 1.20" length. My third design is sample #9. Dave made those two in the late 90s. I was shooting those out of a TC32-20-10". The alloy was WDWW.

Bent Ramrod
10-22-2015, 04:11 PM
It used to be the case that nose pour moulds cast more accurate boolits than base pour moulds. But I think it was because nose pour moulds were mostly custom jobs, more carefully made than the production base pour offerings. Even a production nose pour would have been more carefully made than the same cavity base pour, because the tooling was much more fragile. But with a custom base pour mould fitted with a good sprue plate, I can't tell any difference at the target.

Dave C.
10-22-2015, 06:28 PM
I paid less than $50 for my 6 cavity full wad cutter nose pour LEE mould!
Dave C.