PDA

View Full Version : Flat point boolits, flat top punch?

rvpilot76
04-08-2008, 05:16 PM
I've been getting ring imprints on the noses of my flat-nosed boolits when putting them through the Lubrisizer. They are the correct punches for the boolits, and I'm just wondering why a fella wouldn't be able to use a flat top punch for a flat top boolit? They do this with seating punches for dies, why not sizing dies?

Kevin

Wayne Smith
04-08-2008, 05:54 PM
I took a brass bolt, cut it off and filed the top flat. Mounted it in my lube-sizer and lube most boolits with it. Only ones that I use a nose punch with are the round nose boolits.

Shiloh
04-08-2008, 06:17 PM
I use a top punch with a flat wider than the meplat of the bullet I am lubing. Works great.

Shiloh

rvpilot76
04-08-2008, 06:22 PM
I kinda figured that was the case; thanks guys!

Le Loup Solitaire
04-08-2008, 06:23 PM
I use a flat top punch to seat flat point bullets in all calibers all of the time. Doesn't make much difference. The punch and the bullet go down...the bullet is sized and lubed and comes back up out of the die. If the diameter of the flat punch is larger than the mouth of the sizing die and the boolit has to be pushed deeper into the die then a smaller diameter flat punch has to be swapped in to allow that to happen. Conversely if a smaller diameter flat punch die is used and the boolit is a bit soft(er) then the punch may leave a ring mark/impression on the flat portion(meplat) of the boolit. It doesn't have any effect on the performance of the boolit in flight. Using a flat punch on a round nose boolit usually swages a small "flat" on the tip of the nose and that doesn't seem to make much difference in the aerodynamics either. Some folks who load for tubular mag style rifles like that because it enables them to not risk getting into trouble with primers getting set off by accident. LLS