PDA

View Full Version : Lyman or RCBS sizing dies?

Pb Burner
10-20-2015, 10:55 AM
I've never used a lubesizer but recently purchased a used RCBS LAM (2, I think). It came with a .356 die installed which I don't need, yet.
So I am looking at ordering some dies, going to start with .358, .452 and .309 or .310.
I was looking at Midway and noticed the RCBS dies have one row of holes around circumference of die and Lyman dies have two rows of holes(at least in the pictures). Does this matter if the boolit being sized has one or two(or more) lube grooves?
For instance, the 45 boolit (45acp) I'm casting only has one lube groove. Would it be easier to just use a RCBS die to save plugging one row of holes? I've read about plugging some of the holes with pieces of lead shot, I'm guessing that this is why that would be done, but not sure.
Also read here that some people prefer the Lyman dies because the opening has more of a taper going into die.
Any advice or suggestions to help with my "I've got no experience with this" indecisiveness on which brand of dies to order?

Mk42gunner
10-20-2015, 02:59 PM
I use a LAM and have a couple of 450's on the shelf for spares or other lubes. Functionally, I can't tell a difference between RCBS or Lyman dies. The plugging lube holes with lead shot thing is for a Star, or maybe a SAECO, the center pin (I die?) in the Lyman design blocks lube flow unless there is a gap, such as a bevel base.

If I am buying a used die, brand doesn't matter. If I am buying a new one, the Lymans are usually a dollar or two cheaper. In other words, I go with the less expensive if both brands have the size I am looking for.

Hope this helps,

Robert

Yodogsandman
10-20-2015, 04:32 PM
I have both Lyman and RCBS sizing dies and can't tell the difference. They both fit in the RCBS LAM II.

ndnchf
10-20-2015, 04:48 PM
I have about a dozen lyman dies. I've plugged the extra holes on dies I use for sizing bullets with just one or two grooves. If not I get extra lube under the base, even using very minimal lube pressure.

Petrol & Powder
10-20-2015, 06:29 PM
I have both and can't tell the difference in Lyman 4500

krallstar
10-20-2015, 09:49 PM
I use a lyman 45. Have both lyman and rcbs dies. just got a .318 rcbs die and it does not go all the way down. Checked as best i can all dimensions seem the same

rush1886
10-21-2015, 08:05 AM
Most all I have will fit either lubesizer, RCBS or Lyman.

I noticed one thing with the rcbs dies, that is annoying. I use many size dies to size nose first, after first seating the gaschecks. Some, I can't say all because I don't have them all, of the rcbs dies have a groove, like an o-ring groove, machined into the internal chamber of the die itself. I have no explanation as to why, but it is there on 30cal, 7mm, and a .460" in my collection.

This groove can and quite often does, scrape on the leading edge of the gascheck, as it goes thru the die nose first. For that reason only, I buy and use Lyman as much as possible.

fryboy
10-21-2015, 08:22 AM
i myself prefer the lyman dies , the outside finish is smoother and makes wiping clean a warm die much easier
in days of yore lyman used to have 4 rows of 4 holes straight thru, one set slightly offset from the other , for the loverin type molds these are great !!! , the newer dies have the 2 holes per side and seems to me that they are all in line with each other
the rcbs has 4 holes all on the same plane ,if using loverin type molds i have to go slow and quite often twice to get all the grooves i desire filled
some of the newer rcbs dies have problems ( as noted above ) with sitting down in the lyman sizers, iirc it was a slight difference on the bottom bevel angle , there's a thread or two around here with more particulars and a fix

Mr Peabody
10-21-2015, 08:57 AM
Lyman, too many times with rifle boolits I have to run it in and out twice to fill the lube grooves using the RCBS.

GWM
10-21-2015, 06:01 PM
I've actually had better luck with the RCBS dies than Lyman. My Lyman dies (of various vintage but all bought new at the same time from the same shop) vary greatly in diameter, chamfer/taper and holes. In this case mostly concerning the .355/.356/.357/.358/.359/.360 range. But no doubt this can be down to pure chance.

I plugged the upper row of holes since otherwise I can't size the full lenght of the boolit without getting grease in the crimp groove.

Pb Burner
10-22-2015, 08:30 PM
Looks like it goes both ways. I wouldn't think I'd have the problem of the RCBS die fitting the press as it's an RCBS. Still, from the majority of the replies, I think I might try the Lyman size dies.
As always here, a great bunch of guys always willing to help out.
Thanks for all the replies!

kiwi
10-22-2015, 11:17 PM
I have replaced all my RCBS dies with Lyman, I find I get less lube under the boolit with them than the RCBS, the Lyman stem is concave on top were as the RCBS is flat
and the Lyman dies have more of a flare for seating GC's, I have a LAM11 and 3 Lyman 450's. Robert.

Dragonheart
11-01-2015, 07:37 PM
I have both dies and never noticed a difference once I installed a heater for the lube. but since I discovered Powder Coating over a year ago I have abandoned the sticky mess and have no plans to go back.

dragon813gt
11-01-2015, 07:52 PM
I buy the Lyman dies because they are cheaper. Also get free two day shipping thanks to Amazon Prime.

Pooch
12-27-2015, 10:02 AM
I buy the Lyman dies because they are cheaper. Also get free two day shipping thanks to Amazon Prime.
Amazon Prime!:2_high5::2_high5:

MakeMineLead
12-28-2015, 10:05 AM
Lyman. They have better flare @ the mouth and seem better polished

Griff
01-02-2016, 07:04 PM
I have both, I buy what was/is in stock...

dannyd
01-06-2016, 11:57 PM
I like Lyman better then RCBS