PDA

View Full Version : Cerro safe near disaster

corvette8n
04-08-2008, 10:32 AM
Decided to make a chamber cast of a 6.5 Carcano. I cleaned the chamber and barrel, measured the barrel for where I would put the plug, I marked a dowel for length. Start melting Cerro safe, spray chamber with drop out mold release, put in cloth patch at appropriate depth, warm chamber and barrel with heat gun. I then poured the Cerro safe into a funnel and clear tube setup until I could just see it at the rear of the chamber. Waited 15 minutes and then tried to tap it out with a 3/16” brass rod and plastic hammer.
It didn’t move, ok bigger hammer, no go, ok let cool some more while I cut down rod to 1” above muzzle. 1 lb sledge and I start pounding nothing moves, I am now at the half hour mark, so I put some CLP in both ends and let sit while I find a bigger hammer.
OK bigger hammer 3lb sledge and now at 45 minute mark. Start pounding brass rod bends but no movement. One hour mark same as before no movement.
After bending both brass rods I give up and try to figure how to get this stuff out.
I take action out of stock and melt the Cerro safe out with a heat gun, all while holding the action at an angle while the stuff drips into a small flat metal pan. Straighten brass rod and pound again, not moving. Melt some more out and finally pound out patch with only a little Cerro Safe on the end of patch. So now I am left with no cast and an action to clean up with some drips of Cerro safe here ant there. I am afraid to try this again. I can’t tell if my chamber is extremely rough or what. Not sure what I did wrong.

sundog
04-08-2008, 11:14 AM
I'm not sure how you will clean all that up. My smithy and friend, now departed, put me onto using sulphur and graphite. It works so well that I will probably never use the cerosafe I have on hand, still in it's original ingot. Anyone want to buy it?

Larry Gibson
04-08-2008, 11:31 AM
I've not had a casting completely stick in the chamber like that but I've had a few that were difficult to get out. Those all were with either dirty cambers or when I tried the mould release. I've never had a problem with a clean dry chamber. There may be another problem I have encountered with milsurps and perhaps it's the problem with the Carcano. That problem is with chamber pitting or an out of round cahmber at the front end. I would try it again with a clean dry chambere. I would have the bore plugged allowing minimal cerrosafe into the throat area only and only filling the chamber 1/3. Inspect carefully for signs of pitting and measure for roundness. If that comes casting comes out ok then I'd try 2/3 cast continuing to measure carefully for any anomolies. If the 2/3 cast comes out ok I'd then try the full chamber.

Larry Gibson

Andy_P
04-08-2008, 01:19 PM
I've had two incidents of Cerrosafe becoming stuck in the chamber - both required a bit of heat (paint stripper gun) to soften before it could be removed.

1 - a Remington Rolling Block needs to have the extractor removed first, or the cerrosafe will bind on it during removal
2 - barrel pitting, even fairly light pitting can be enough for the cerrosafe to bite into it

bullshot
04-08-2008, 01:48 PM
I have used Cerro Safe many times with no problems. I put a jag with a patch that will fit the bore onto a cleaning rod, position the assembly approximately where I want the cast. Melt and pour. As soon as it solidifies tap the cast out. I believe Cerro Safe shrinks a little when first solidifies then returns to original cast dimensions. Important to get the cast out in the shrunk condition.

fourarmed
04-08-2008, 03:36 PM
I had a similar experience. I just put a big pot of water on the stove, heated it up, and stuck the receiver down in it. It all melted and ran out.

Wayne Smith
04-08-2008, 03:51 PM
Don't wait. Knock it out immediately that it hardens. I've had the same problem and this worked.

leftiye
04-08-2008, 04:52 PM
Plus one on not waiting. I believe that at 1/2 hour the cast is as small as it will get (ie. actual size of chamber) after that it gets larger.

The first two (make that three) chambers I cast stuck. Dry, clean chambers (sorry Larry). The first two were possible to pound out, the third I had to melt out. OIL THEM!!! A thin film of oil doesn't do the harm to the casting that you'd expect. They come out nice anyway, no wrinkling etc.. This alloy doesn't freeze instantly because it melts at about 150 degrees F.. Plus, the film is so thin that it doesn't interfere with measurements.

slughammer
04-08-2008, 07:28 PM
I have used a kettle of boiling water poured over the action to get cerosafe out.

I now prefer to do a pound slug and have a permanent record of the rifle.

http://www.castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=23535

Post # 7 I describe the process I use for making a pound slug.

sundog
04-08-2008, 09:09 PM
Okay fellers, I have a one pound cerosafe from Brownells what's not ever been used for $25.00 plus freight. Any takers?

KCSO
04-08-2008, 09:32 PM
Or...

I had a 45-70 chamber that was bulged and have come across a couple other bulged chambers in the past. I check 'em pretty close now.

Little Joe
04-09-2008, 01:14 PM
Well this is how I see it.If you can't get the stuff from the chamber you might as well get rid of the gun.The 6.5 Carcano wont be that much of a loss anyways.Maybe if your lucky you can sell that Carcano off to some poor chump and then put that money into a 98 Mauser.Why waist you time with a Carcano?Never could figure out what people see in them?

Little Joe

chevyiron420
04-09-2008, 01:38 PM
Good Grief

hornetguy
04-09-2008, 07:52 PM
PM sent, Sundog

willwork4ww
04-11-2008, 06:01 AM
After a few successful attempts, I had this happen with a tight necked 700 ADL in .243. Had to melt it out with a propane heater. Never used Cerrosafe since. Did have to end up turning case necks though. Turned out to be an honest half minute rifle with several bullets. Killed several Pronghorns with it but glad to be rid of it now. Neck turning for a sporting rifle is an unnecessary pain. Kind of like Cerrosafe. :)

DonH
04-11-2008, 06:41 AM
My understanding is that cerrosafe shrinks upon solidification. Swelling gradually, it reaches it's full diameter at about one hour after pouring. I have not done a bunch of casts but being a bit nervous about the procedure, I knock the cast out ASAP. I have had to thump them fairly hard but they have come right out. I had my gunsmith friend do a couple for me and his method was pretty much the same so I guess I was on the right track.
As for cleaning up the Carcano, either heat it up and scrub the cerrosafe out with a brush or like others said you can use the hot water method. The cerrosafe castin process can be a little scary but I don't see how it can end in disaster as it is always reversible. If you try it again, attempting to knock out cast immediately and it sticks again, I would suggest having the chamber examined by a qualified gunsmith to see if it is ringed or bulged.

montana_charlie
04-11-2008, 11:33 AM
[If] it sticks again, I would suggest having the chamber examined by a qualified gunsmith to see if it is ringed or bulged.
Very sane, and extremely logical advice...
CM