PDA

View Full Version : Remington 870 assembly

borderman
10-12-2005, 08:09 PM
This is truly embarrassing. This thing has like 2 moving parts and I can't get it back together. Had it for 20 years and the trigger had been pulled maybe 10 times. Stepson took it to a charity skeet shoot as a station gun so I thought I would take it apart to clean. I wasn't expecting the bolt to come out with the slide and it and some kind of a plate fell on the kitchen table so I didn't get a chance to see how it fit. I was more concerned about the trigger assembly but it was a breeze. I assume the bolt sits on the plate but there is no obvious (to me) front or back. I found a couple internet sites with instructions but they were terrible, no pictures or drawings. Apparently the bolt (and plate?) sit on the slide rails and they all go in together, but it won't work for me. The slide goes in okay without them but it probably won't shoot too well. If anyone has an idea of how this thing goes back together I would be most appreciative.

Scrounger
10-12-2005, 08:46 PM
I won't even try to explain how to do it, I can't get the words to come out right so you'd understand. In short, the plate sets on the rails, and the bolt sets on the plate. The front of the bolt has a flat surface to mate against the base of the shotgun shell, and it has the extracter on it. Get the bolt on the plate on the rails and slowly slide it in... With your third and fourth hand, reach up from the bottom of the receiver (through loading gate) and depress the latches on the inside of the receiver as you push the bolt and slide toward the rear. See, clear as mud. OK, try this link: http://www.atigunstocks.com/installation/SFP0300-REM-install.html
And this link to Remington. There is a manual online: http://www.remington.com/pdfs/om/om_870.pdf

Good luck

borderman
10-12-2005, 10:09 PM
Scrounger you are the greatest. Took 30 seconds to reassemble. The key was to set the bolt and slide block on the end of the action bars *before* sticking the bars in the receiver. This site is fabulous. The shotgun is off the kitchen counter and in my bedroom, the wife's glares have begun to diminish. So you have helped both of us.

Many Thanks

Scrounger
10-12-2005, 11:14 PM
Where at in Indiana? I grew up (well, as much as I've grown up) in Boonville, 15 miles from Evansville.

borderman
10-13-2005, 12:14 PM
I live in Bloomington, about 100 miles north of Evansville. Home of Indiana University, where I have worked for 38 years, 4+ years to retirement. If you are a conservative don't consider moving here, it's tough to even read the local paper. The letters to the editor are truly sickening. I was born here and all my family lives here so I don't see leaving. Thanks again for your assistance.