PDA

View Full Version : Mentoring

Idaho Mule
10-18-2015, 10:56 PM
I have been mentoring a young lad on casting for the last year or so. Tom is a fine young man, in age he falls somewhere between my two that are 18 and 21. He started asking questions, wanting to help, and so on. It has been over a year now since he cast his first, using my molds and stuff. He has loaded well over 1000 rds of cast on his own now and is shooting very well. He is at this time shooting cast in handgun only, mostly 38. But, he now has his Dad shooting store bought cast in his 44 Mag handgun. Tom's older brother is now loading and shooting cast (store bought) in .380 and 9mm. This evening Tom came by for a visit and brought ME some boolits that he had cast by himself. Some Lee 358-158 RF and some Lyman 358311 RN. These are nice looking boolits, he did VERY well and I will be quite honored to shoot them. Tom is also looking to branch off into the rifle realm of casting. His Dad has a Marlin in 35 Remington and last time he left here he had some RCBS 35 200 FN boolits in a bag. It is lots of fun teaching willing students. JW

35 shooter
10-18-2015, 11:12 PM
Way to pass it on and hopefully they will too someday. I'm quite sure they will always remember you and be glad someone took the time to teach them right!

Bzcraig
10-18-2015, 11:42 PM
You done good!

james23
10-19-2015, 12:01 AM
I too was mentored by a long time caster. I have reloaded for almost 30 years but had not casted until this year. I always loaded bought cast in my handguns and put some through a 35 Remington rifle but never casted my own. I wanted to cast for my old military bolt action rifles. The long time caster that I met provided me with way more info than I could have read in a book. A person can read lots but nothing beats talking to someone who has the experience to avoid the pitfalls that one can get into. I was honored to receive unused casting equipment and also bought a mold from the gentleman. I gained a friend in the process. As an aside my 14 year old blazed away all afternoon with a 308 and a 3006 with a newly cast bullets and 10 grains of unique powder . The light load is great to get him on to the rifles ahead of moose and deer season. Only had him shoot a few hunting loads at the end of the afternoon. I hope to get my friend a few steaks this fall yet.