PDA

View Full Version : Drone's and Your Hobby

jcwit
10-17-2015, 04:18 PM
Aren't you glad drone's are not your hobby?

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2015/10/17/drone-owners-to-be-required-to-register-devices/?intcmp=hplnws

dtknowles
10-17-2015, 05:44 PM
Aren't you glad drone's are not your hobby?

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2015/10/17/drone-owners-to-be-required-to-register-devices/?intcmp=hplnws

I we will see. Wonder what they will call a drone. Are they expecting to register every model aircraft, every flying kids toy. Does it have to have a camera to be a drone. Is it a drone when the camera is removed. Drone pilots don't have much constitutional protection. I guess you could register every Pilot. I already have my AMA number, maybe I am already registered.

Tim

dkf
10-17-2015, 07:17 PM
A registration isn't going to do anything except make another government bureaucracy or make a current one larger. So many people are going to buy them and know nothing about the registration requirement. Besides they vary in cost from tens of dollars to tens of thousands of dollars. Catch the people that fly them in restricted airspace and nail them to the wall when convicted. Don't prosecute the guy whom shoots the drone down when it is flying too close over their private property. If they want to register and keep track of something, how about the millions of illegal aliens in the US.(many of whom are criminals)

RED333
10-17-2015, 07:25 PM
A registration isn't going to do anything except make another government bureaucracy or make a current one larger. So many people are going to buy them and know nothing about the registration requirement. Besides they vary in cost from tens of dollars to tens of thousands of dollars. Catch the people that fly them in restricted airspace and nail them to the wall when convicted. Don't prosecute the guy whom shoots the drone down when it is flying too close over their private property. If they want to register and keep track of something, how about the millions of illegal aliens in the US.(many of whom are criminals)
But, But, But that makes sense, something the feds do not have.

xs11jack
10-17-2015, 07:56 PM
So who is going to put the tieney wieny little numbers on the teiny weiny drone so we can record who is harassing us???
Ole Jack

leeggen
10-17-2015, 09:28 PM
Guess now we will have to have NO Trespassing signs facing toward the sky so those little buzzards will know they have gone to far. Also when we shoot one down it will have been warned legally. Dang now I need to buy another 15 signs for the drive.
CD

rond
10-18-2015, 08:07 AM
Anybody remember the CB radio craze a few years back? They couldn't keep up with all of them either.

Dan Cash
10-18-2015, 08:37 AM
Registration/licensing worked really well for the CB radios back in the day. Sarcasm.

georgerkahn
10-18-2015, 08:52 AM
Once again, imho a very few proverbial rotten apples are spoiling the apple for, I'd wager, the many common sense drone operators. (Note that I neither own one, nor have any interest as a participant in that arena) I often see the "calculator" posted showing current deaths from sources, compared to firearm-related, which is a comparable paradigm, I am sure!

MOST sadly, just like responsible firearm owners regularly get restricted and regulated further from those who make the headlines (e.g., Newtown, et cetera) -- so it surely AND SADLY it is happening for drone owners.

As a child, I recall a spring-wound maybe three-inch diameter plastic disc which, when released, would fly maybe six or seven feet high... Mind-boggling is the advances in technology to even market omni-copters and similar in the present. But, again so sad that, I am certain, but a very few are the root of restrictions now -- and in the future.

Just my 1 & 1/2 cents...
geo

Freightman
10-18-2015, 09:21 AM
just going to cause panic buying, and sell more, they will never learn. sky's full of illegal drons will not be able to see the sun,birds watch out .[smilie=w:

rockrat
10-18-2015, 11:30 AM
Yep, everybody will be out buying them before any new regulations take effect.

dtknowles
10-18-2015, 12:55 PM
Yep, everybody will be out buying them before any new regulations take effect.

Buy them, they are easier to make than a gun. Exactly what are you going to register. On a gun you register the action/frame, whatever is consider the important part. On a drone would your register the airframe, the power plants, the GPS unit? Are we going to start registering GPS units? The camera on mine is a wireless baby monitor camera and it does not use GPS. The airframe is built of wood covered in plastic. Are they going to require a license to manufacture a remote controlled aircraft? When does a remote controlled aircraft become a drone?

They can pass laws but they will be unenforceable.

Tim

jcwit
10-18-2015, 01:08 PM
Couple of years ago at the NRA National Small Bore Matches there was a fellow flying a wing made of coro-plast IIRC using an battery powered motor to power the prop. Pretty neet set up I thought at the time.

hollywood63
10-18-2015, 01:28 PM
Lead them like a duck or a goose :bigsmyl2:

bedbugbilly
10-18-2015, 01:45 PM
Registration of drones? Hmmm . . . is this all part of the D.C. Administration's new "create new jobs" program? How many new bureaus and employees will that take . . . at our (I'm speaking "working" people) expense?

And a big +1 to what George said . . . . .

Artful
10-18-2015, 02:00 PM
They can pass laws but they will be unenforceable.

Tim

Exactly like laws against Murder? - Only used to punish after the crime.

NavyVet1959
10-18-2015, 02:05 PM
So who is going to put the tieney wieny little numbers on the teiny weiny drone so we can record who is harassing us???
Ole Jack

The FAA will require 12" numbers. :)

shooter93
10-18-2015, 06:58 PM
They will be registering the owners. Just another way to register everyone and everything on the road to control. Your commerce tattoo should be ready soon.

dtknowles
10-18-2015, 07:25 PM
Like I said, I already have my registration number. The AMA provides insurance for model aircraft pilots who comply with their rules, these are common sense rules. The biggest one is not flying too close to other people.

Tim

leeggen
10-18-2015, 07:46 PM
That is kind of my thought, are they going to force the rc airplanes and copters into a registration??? When do you call a toy plane a drone. This will be a real legal battle coming up over all this.
CD

Littleton Shot Maker
10-18-2015, 10:28 PM
I need to look at this- I wanted to build a rc glider- looks like a Cal Condor... maybe shoot at it?? (joking)

AND now I do want to go finish the RC Storch I started just so I can get meshed into this BS.. it has tiny camera in belly... now it;s drone??.
what will the RC folks think when their 'rights' get messed with another are there groups to help say a brach of the NRA-RC-drone Assoc??

Can we arm the drone go after pig or coyotes??

we have laws enforce them- don;t make more folks criminal over night with a broad brush-
enforce and punish those we have now- not let them walk

legend 550
10-19-2015, 07:02 PM
I've been flying r/c since the late 70's AMA 192171. An r/c aircraft is flown line of sight only, in other words if you can't see it you cant control it with a 500 foot ceiling. It becomes a drone when the camera is used to navigate and the aircraft can be flown beyond the line of sight, in other words you fly a drone by looking at a monitor not the aircraft. And yes a few bad apples will ruin it for everyone else.

Geezer in NH
10-21-2015, 06:56 PM
Need CB or Ham license? BWAhahahahahahahahahahaha

Artful
10-21-2015, 07:52 PM
It becomes a drone when the camera is used to navigate and the aircraft can be flown beyond the line of sight, in other words you fly a drone by looking at a monitor not the aircraft.

Wait, is that in FAA rules or are you trying to apply logic to bureaucrats?

opos
10-21-2015, 08:10 PM
[QUOTE=Alan B;3409017]I need to look at this- I wanted to build a rc glider- looks like a Cal Condor... maybe shoot at it?? (joking)

AND now I do want to go finish the RC Storch I started just so I can get meshed into this BS.. it has tiny camera in belly... now it;s drone??.
what will the RC folks think when their 'rights' get messed with another are there groups to help say a brach of the NRA-RC-drone Assoc??

Can we arm the drone go after pig or coyotes??

we have laws enforce them- don;t make more folks criminal over night with a broad brush-
enforce and punish those we have now- not let them walk[/QUOTe

Be sure to use lead free, California compliant ammo to shoot down the condor drone...big fine for shooting a drone with lead that birds can eat and get lead poisioning.

OptimusPanda
10-21-2015, 09:33 PM
I grew up flying model aircraft (mostly two meter sailplanes) reading that nonsense makes me angry. The real question I have is how much money does it cost to send an agent out from a 3 lettered agency to investigate a "drone" that turned out to be a goose.

dtknowles
10-21-2015, 09:34 PM
I've been flying r/c since the late 70's AMA 192171. An r/c aircraft is flown line of sight only, in other words if you can't see it you cant control it with a 500 foot ceiling. It becomes a drone when the camera is used to navigate and the aircraft can be flown beyond the line of sight, in other words you fly a drone by looking at a monitor not the aircraft. And yes a few bad apples will ruin it for everyone else.

With that definition then you can't tell a drone from a model aircraft unless you can see the pilot and tell how he is controlling it. How do you tell what you need to register.

Tim

David2011
10-21-2015, 11:01 PM
I'm also a long time AMA member and fly just about anything with fixed wings except "3D" which is more like hanging the plane on its prop the entire flight. On October 21 I read that the regulations defined "drones" as aircraft being capable of autonomous flight or being flown without direct observation of the pilot via a camera in the aircraft that sends video back to the pilot, known as "FPV"- First Person View. If they stick with that definition fixed wing aircraft will not be affected unless flown FPV.

Need CB or Ham license? BWAhahahahahahahahahahaha

Clearly you have no idea how enthusiastically both modelers and ham operators protect the ham band. When the Citizen's Band was established people wouldn't talk to you if you didn't have call letters. When I started flying RC a CB license was required for 72 MHz operation and clubs enforced it. The CB craze of the late '70s threw that all out the door and the Gov dropped CB licensing. Ham R/C operations are still well protected.

That is kind of my thought, are they going to force the rc airplanes and copters into a registration??? When do you call a toy plane a drone. This will be a real legal battle coming up over all this.
CD

Leeggen, have you ever been up close to model aircraft? I have 4 that will exceed 100 mph in level flight and 2 of those are Hobie Hawk gliders. I have a few more that exceed 15 pounds ready to fly and those are not considered especially large aircraft. Even my 6.2 ounce foamie is capable of causing severe lacerations if the prop is contacted. They're hardly toys!

I've stood in a hangar at Edwards with a real drone. I refuse to adopt the term for little multirotor craft.

David

RogerDat
10-21-2015, 11:15 PM

Exactly right. Controls using a camera screen are the defining criteria. The hobbyist drone that is flown line of site is not covered. Considering the forest service fire fighting air craft that could not do their missions because of the drones being flown by disaster tourist taking video and pictures there is clearly an issue to be addressed.

If you shot down a drone over your backyard taking pictures of your kid though the bathroom window there is literally no way to know who owns it. This is no different than registering an auto or boat to establish registered ownership. Is it possibly that many won't be registered and that the whole thing will be a miserable failure to deal with the actual problems irresponsible drone owners are causing. Either way it ranks as one of the least important issues facing the country yet some want to treat it as a major crisis of government intrusion.

How about being concerned about the two new screwy statements being used by anti-gun people. Your more likely to be shot by a child than a terrorist. More kids than police die from firearm related deaths. First is accurate because bombs such as used in Boston the victims are not be shot. The second is true but at less than 30 a tiny percentage of childhood deaths. Poison deaths are much higher.

AZ-JIM
10-21-2015, 11:44 PM
I refuse to adopt the term for little multirotor craft.

David

This^^^
IMHO, the news media again making something innocent, into something evil and scary.
Fixed wing models or otherwise, flown in line of sight should not be an issue. Models that are flown remotely ie; video, telemetry, computer, smart device etc. Probably should be flown by a licensed operator. There is a symphony of gear and gadgets for transmitting and receiving the video and radio signals required to "pilot" some of these aircraft.
They are flown out of sight, many times by several miles and at altitudes which the operators know they should not be flying, for common sense and safety reasons.
I am a licensed HAM, I studied, and took the test. I am obligated to follow certain guidelines, and have responsibilities in the safe operation of my equipment, not only for myself but others as well. Why should this type of model aircraft equipment operation be any different?
Here is why:
1)Because the operators don't want to do anything extra to enjoy their hobby.
2)They don't want someone intruding into their business telling them what to do.
3)They don't want to deal with the responsibilities of dealing with a crash or property damage or personal injury if something malfunctions or they push the envelope and go a little out of range. It's probably cheaper to walk away from a crashed plane than it is to man up and pay an insurance claim in some cases.

Don't get me wrong, I think these models and the advancements in their technology is are great. I have had a few planes but they seriously cut into my shooting money lol.
Is it realistic to have another alphabet agency try to enforce such things? No
But say you are out in your driveway waxing your old muscle car and one of these birds falls from the sky and unfortunately smashes into the roof of your car, wouldn't you like to know where to send the bill? Worse yet, your grandkids are over for the weekend playing outside, and one of them gets hurt.......

az-jim

TXGunNut
10-21-2015, 11:55 PM
Lead them like a duck or a goose :bigsmyl2:

Do we have to use lead-free shot?