PDA

View Full Version : Shot some Real Bullets yesterday!

Willyp
10-17-2015, 06:40 AM
I shot 20 of them,[320 grain]with 2f Goex and Borebutter plus a wonder lubed bore button. I used different powder loads,going up in weight, and did no better!
These were 320 grain,pure lead,out of an inline ML,209 primers.
They were fun to play with but i would not,at this time,count on them for deer hunting?
I didn't get any good groups,at 50 yds,with a scope at 8 power,off a front rest and rear bag.
The bore butter kept the fouling soft but also made the inside of the barrel greasey! I have been using Cheap shots[240 grain] and Harvester crush rib sabots and getting 4 and 5 shot clover leafs groups!
My barrels twist is 1 in 28. I will play with them but i don't have any faith in them,that my gun would shoot them ant better?

Motor
10-17-2015, 07:18 AM
Muzzleloaders are funny like that for some reason. I posted a while back about selling all of my .490 round balls that I lucked into and intended for my sons to practice with but their Knights would not shoot them worth a darn.

Another guy posted who has one of the exact same model Knight's and said his shoots them great. Go figure.

I have a Traditions side lock that is some what of a Hawkins style rifle. It has a full length barrel. It shoots PRB or the 250gr REAL very good. In fact it's squirrel hunting accurate with either and it doesn't care if you are shooting the holy black or the Wal-Mart Pyrodex. It just simply shoots great.

I've seen other inlines that were finicky about what boolits they shoot. T/C inline rifles have a reputation for being finicky. They typically shoot best with T/C bullets. Some won't even group good with power belts and power belts are like the go to bullets for finicky inline rifles.

Them smoke poles are funny creators. ;)

Motor

Willyp
10-17-2015, 07:42 AM
Motor,Maybe i need to try 250 Reals? I had the mold and sold the darn thing!!!!!!

Tackleberry41
10-17-2015, 09:22 AM
I have read in plenty of places that the Lee real bullet only works for some people and weapons. Others they were all over the place. A lighter one might do better, might not. Guess thats the only real advantage to Lee molds their cheap, so not out a pile of money. The REAL mold I bought wouldn't even cast usable bullets to try, you didn't need a ramrod to load them. I sent it back, wasn't the mold, it was casting technique or the rifle, tho hard to believe both my 50 cals have over sized barrels. 2 different brands made decades apart. And my Lyman mold works fine.

I guess Lee actually fired some of their REAL bullets in muzzle loaders before selling them.

rodwha
10-17-2015, 09:29 AM
IdahoRon uses paper patched .50 cal Lee pistol bullets from his fast twist (Hotrod Hawkens). Many others are finding it to work very well for them too. By very well I'm talking out past 200 yds.

OnHoPr
10-17-2015, 09:30 AM
Did you try in the 60 to 75 gr range. I know that you use 2f. A lot of different projectiles like different powders and lubes. That is a big hunk of lead and really doesn't need to be pushed fast. Also, since your are using a whacker to start the boolit a couple of WWs or bit of Sn would help.

johnson1942
10-17-2015, 11:50 AM
if you use the orange sabot from mmp and a short nosed 400 grain .458 bullet that is ment for a 45/70. you will get the results you want to any range. just wipe between rounds. it will be a tackdriver.

Taylor
10-17-2015, 06:47 PM
I use the 250 in my Scout (.50 cal).Not very good. Idahoron suggested adding a felt wad under the bullet,made all the difference.

Rick Hodges
10-17-2015, 08:39 PM
I used the short .54 cal ones in my scout...over 80-90 gr. of 3f goex. Not super but would group 4-5" at 100 yds. Kicked like a mule too. I cast the 50 cal 250 gr. for a friend in his old TC Renegade and he said they shoot great. He keeps me casting more of them. LOL.

waarp8nt
10-17-2015, 09:25 PM
I had good luck using the 250gr REAL in my T/C Grey Hawk. The target was shot at 50yds using open sights with the upper 2 shots by my 17yr old son and the lower 3 shots were by yours truly. We both shot from a seated position using a cross stick to hold the barrel.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=138031&d=1430101315&thumb=1

FergusonTO35
10-20-2015, 06:54 PM
My NEF Huntsman has a 1:28 twist and really likes the 250 grain REAL lubed with BB over 70 grains Triple 7. My rifle uses a Williams WGRS ghost ring rear sight and factory front, it is not difficult to get cloverleafs at 50 yards. This rifle definitely shoots better with T7 than Pyrodex, mebbe yours is a bit of a heretic and just doesn't like holy black.

Willyp, if you wpuld like to try some 250 grain REALs just pm me an address and i'll send you some the next time I cast.

Willyp
10-21-2015, 02:59 AM
Thank you for the offer,Fergson,but it just would be easier for me to get another mold,the 250 one.It is due to get pretty cold here,soon,so my casting and shooting will be over soon. I will have to get some Triple 7. I have bore buttons and bore butter and was using it with the 320's?
Right now,the Cheap shots are shooting well with crush rib sabots,at 50 yards. Our area of the Pa. mountains,you are lucky to be able to see 50 yards. A lot of it was timbered out 5 to 10 years ago! But,i do thank you for the offer,a lot.