PDA

View Full Version : (Extra) high-temp paint for wood stove?

Cmm_3940
10-17-2015, 05:08 AM
Well, my woodburner was starting to look a bit scruffy, so I decided to give it a coat of paint. I used a high temp paint designed for woodstoves, "Meeco's Red Devil 1200° Stove Paint". I planned ahead and painted it a couple months ago, so tonight when I started the first fire of the year, It had had plenty of time to cure. I still got some stink and smoke, but nothing too bad. The problem I'm having is the part where the flue goes into the wall. The flue is obviously much thinner than the cast iron stove, and gets hotter quicker. The paint flaked and peeled off the flue. Has anyone had experience with this, or know of a better paint for woodburners, possibly good to a higher temp?

Thanks,
Chris

tim338
10-17-2015, 08:05 AM
I had that happen to the wood stove in my shop as well. Never found anything else to use that didn't peel off. Did you get your paint at Tractor Supply by chance?

rancher1913
10-17-2015, 09:07 AM
I use stove black, not really a paint, more like a stain. rub it on and wipe it dry.

Petrol & Powder
10-17-2015, 09:11 AM
If you're talking about a sheet metal stove pipe, I'm not sure I would bother. They are cheap enough to replace when needed. Due to their thin construction they expand & contract a lot and getting a high temp paint to withstand that expansion is going to be tough.

I don't know if this would be safe for indoor use but it is rated for 1800 degrees !
http://www.eastwood.com/ew-hi-temp-internal-exhaust-coating-w-extension-tu.html

dkf
10-17-2015, 09:40 AM
Get some ceramic header paint. VHT and Rustoleum are supposed to be good for 2000 degrees. I use it on my truck headers (among other things) and it takes the heat from towing. The high heat primer for th eheader paint does help it stick better. Make sure the surface is clean and preferably to bare metal so there is no previous paint.

jonp
10-17-2015, 09:47 AM
Get some ceramic header paint. VHT and Rustoleum are supposed to be good for 2000 degrees. I use it on my truck headers (among other things) and it takes the heat from towing. The high heat primer for th eheader paint does help it stick better. Make sure the surface is clean and preferably to bare metal so there is no previous paint.

^^^^ i tried this on a whim at my hunting camp and it worked ok for me. I used the VHT spray i found in Autozone

Artful
10-17-2015, 07:46 PM
Use Moly Resin or Cerakote on suppressors - should work on your pipe.

http://www.cerakote.net/

http://molyresin.com/

leeggen
10-17-2015, 09:32 PM
Exhaust manifold paint will stay on the stove pipe. You might get that new smell for a few minutes but it does work.
CD

baogongmeo
10-17-2015, 10:03 PM
I use stove black, not really a paint, more like a stain. rub it on and wipe it dry.

This is the stuff. Years ago I bought an Earth Stove used, it didn't look like it had ever had a fire in it but had been kept in an old barn, dirty and rusty. My wife wire brushed it and wiped it down then used the Stove Black... it looked brand new and still looks good maybe 25 years later though we haven't used it for 8 or 10 years.