PDA

View Full Version : Lubricant for presses?

ShooterAZ
10-16-2015, 10:18 AM
I'm in the process of completely tearing down and thoroughly cleaning and lubing my 30 year old RCBS Rockchucker press. Up until this point I have just been using Breakfree CLP from time to time on the ram and pivot points. It seems to work well. I'm wondering what some of you guys are using to lube your presses...grease on the ram or?

bangerjim
10-16-2015, 10:26 AM
Mystik JT6.....the slickest "bestest" grease you can buy. I use it on everything that needs grease! From lathe ways to bearings to tools to.....everything. Get it at WalMart or auto stores.

mold maker
10-16-2015, 10:34 AM
STP because it was sitting right there.

SSGOldfart
10-16-2015, 10:44 AM
Powder liquid wrench,doesn't attract dust comes in a spray can easy to get and use

dragonrider
10-16-2015, 11:15 AM
Any oil or thin grease would be good for presses,

sundog
10-16-2015, 11:43 AM
Mobile Synthetic. Also a good gun lube where grease or a 'durable lube' is not needed. I quit using CLP when my stash ran out, as it is too expensive.

Find a few bottles with different style dispensers/applicators so the right amount can be place in the right place. I especially like the needle-nose/syringe style.

I also like Rig products.

Motard
10-16-2015, 11:46 AM
dry teflon and then some molycote on the ram. Ever worked for me. Dry teflon doesn't attract dust. Graphite and molykote works well too

country gent
10-16-2015, 11:50 AM
On press rams I use a good gear (heavy wieght oil 80-90 wieght) oil lube a few drops when done cycle ram a few times and let set till next use to migrate. Piviot pins and linckages depends on play and such but a medium mpotor oil to gear lube works well. The exceptions to this are my summit since it has a grease zerk on the head / ram and my Coax. The Alighnment rods get a light coat of grease along with the linkage pins surfaces. The one draw back to grease is that you almost have to disassemble the press to get it where it needs to be, oil even the heavyier gear lubes will wick in to the working areas eventually. grease is better for staying put where you want it, oils wick in better. On the rams a tight fitted ram may be more fussy to lube as there needs to be room for it in the joints. On a brand new press with a tight ram and linkage greases and gear lubes may not work into the areas needed as good. One check on rams is to put a few drops of lube on joint and come back the next day see it it has worked thru to bottom of housing. One other thing to do is to occassionally wash the crud out of these joints bearing surfaces, primer residue, carbon, and such are very abrasive and the accumulation needs to be removed occasionally. A good spray solvent and working the press with a bucket under it does a fair job. Then relube. Otherwise the new lube holds the crud and becomes a mild lapping compound. When I rebuilt my coax I considered grease zerks on all the joints, makes lubing quick and easy, grease goes where it needs to be, and putting it in the bearing under pressure tends to push crud and old grease out. Have rebuilt rockchuckers, and some others for friends and ussually a good cleaning removing rust and years of built up crud then a relube goes along ways.

ShooterAZ
10-16-2015, 12:24 PM
Thanks Guys....It appears like a variety of stuff works. My Rockchucker has always worked fine, but it was just getting really grungy. I have it off the bench, and I will give it a bath after work. I will probably lightly grease the ram, and oil the pivot points. Thanks again.

DonMountain
10-16-2015, 01:59 PM
I use gun grease. The kind that is in the grease gun out in the shop I use on all my tractors. I keep a small container of it here on my reloading bench. And some 5-30W engine oil for the pivot pins. I keep a small can of that here on the reloading bench also.

trixter
10-16-2015, 02:21 PM
I have a needle bottle filled with Mobile-One 5-30 that I have had for a lot of years (R/C racing back in the late 80's). Works great.

Tim357
10-16-2015, 03:00 PM
Rem-oil

bruce drake
10-16-2015, 03:04 PM
I use the same Lithium Grease that I use on my M1 Garand for the rams on both of my presses. It works :)

Tatume
10-16-2015, 03:07 PM
While you have it apart check it carefully for wear. RCBS will replace any worn parts. Also, there are several "C" clips on the Rockchucker, and they should be replaced with new clips when you reassemble the press. RCBS will provide new clips for the asking.

Seeker
10-16-2015, 03:09 PM
I have used Breakfree CLP and the last time it was cleaned I used Tri-Flo. It seems to work just as well.

robroy
10-16-2015, 03:11 PM
But presses got no loob grooves:bigsmyl2:

44man
10-16-2015, 04:14 PM
About any good grease or oil but I use STP since it is handy and is used on revolver cylinder pins. I put it in a squeeze bottle. Works great on the case trimmer shaft too.

Bent Ramrod
10-16-2015, 05:15 PM
Case resizing lube works pretty well, if nothing else is around.

kentuckyshooter
10-16-2015, 06:06 PM
I tryed the lee case lube that came with my press. Worked well even after it dryed but was a bit messy. Now i just give it a squirt of rem oil as its cheap and always on hand on my reloading/ cleaning bench. Plus if u use the stuff in the can the straw will easly get in thoes hard to reach places.

mold maker
10-16-2015, 06:43 PM
I picked up several 24-100 CC syringes and fine 2" needles, at the vets. I use them to put lube just where its needed.
It's easy to apply just a tiny bit or in a deep place like the linkage on a press.
Be sure to keep the needle protectors in place.

gwpercle
10-16-2015, 07:05 PM
Spray on motorcycle chain lube, the kind that sprays on thin, foams and penetrates into all the crevices, then thickens so it won't be flung off. I like it because it gets into small places then thickens. Have used Castrol and Lucas.
Someone makes a wax based chain lube and that might be just the ticket. Thick lubes do attract grit and grunge. Anybody try the wax base chain lube ?
The spec sheet says it doesn't attract dirt and doesn't fling off...might be something to try.

Gary

scottfire1957
10-16-2015, 07:15 PM
When I change the motor oil in my vehicles, after pouring the oil into the crankcase, I drain the last drops from the oil containers into a mason jar.

So I have a synthetic oil, dino oil and deisel oil mix that I use to lube everything. Guns, presses and anything else that needs it. I currently have about a quart. That should last a while.

I use grease where needed, usually also a high temp automotive bearing grease.

old cobra
10-16-2015, 07:25 PM
"Zoom spout" ( the clear oil with the long spout inside the bottle) easy to lube hard to get at places. Home Depot

kentuckyshooter
10-16-2015, 07:39 PM
I see one lube that is absent from this thread. The old red neck stand by WD-40. Anyone tryed it?

dragon813gt
10-16-2015, 08:29 PM
I see one lube that is absent from this thread. The old red neck stand by WD-40. Anyone tryed it?

It's not a lubricant. It's a water dispersing oil. Hence the WD in the name. It leaves a varnish over time and I would not use it on anything you care about.

I use Lucas Red and Tacky on a Dillon press at the lube points. I use a lithium grease on the rams of all my presses. Dillon says to use motor oil, I forget which grade.

Tatume
10-17-2015, 07:44 AM

WD 40 is an extremely good product in applications for which it is appropriate. Besides displacing water, it is also an excellent cleaner. It works well to clean the ram of a reloading press. If the press feels stiff, spray the ram with WD 40, operate it a few times, and it will immediately become free and easy. However, it should then be lubricated. Wipe it down and apply oil or light grease.

ShooterAZ
10-17-2015, 10:52 AM
I disassembled my press after work yesterday and took it over to a buddies house who has a parts washer. After a couple hours and some further cleaning it came out looking like brand new. I will be putting it back together this morning, and now I am considering talking my friend into letting me do the same with my lube-sizer....I think I will boil it first though.

Mal Paso
10-17-2015, 11:37 AM
WD 40 is an extremely good product in applications for which it is appropriate. Besides displacing water, it is also an excellent cleaner. It works well to clean the ram of a reloading press. If the press feels stiff, spray the ram with WD 40, operate it a few times, and it will immediately become free and easy. However, it should then be lubricated. Wipe it down and apply oil or light grease.

Silicone displaces water and you don't have to get every bit off before it rusts something. A little oil on the ram will free it up just wipe off the excess.

There is no excuse big enough for WD-40.

Sorry, just had a DW-40 on cast iron flashback. I've been using an ancient can of Hoppe's Lubricating Oil on my Chucker.

M-Tecs
10-17-2015, 11:43 AM
STOS http://reloaders.com/stos/ STOS stands for "Slicker than Owl S**t. " Used it since the early 70's.

http://reloaders.com/stos-2oz-jar/

ShooterAZ
10-17-2015, 11:55 AM
WD40 does have some uses. I use it on fishing reels to clean. I always wipe it off though. I don't use it on my reloading stuff.

Tatume
10-17-2015, 01:25 PM
WD 40 does not cause rust. It is an excellent product that does what it is supposed to do.

smokeywolf
10-17-2015, 01:36 PM
Not crazy about WD-40. Don't like the yellowish sticky film left over as it dries. Where many use WD-40, I use one of the LPS products. As far as the ram on the reloading press goes. I use the same Lubriplate that I use on the Garand.

Cmm_3940
10-17-2015, 01:48 PM
Dexron VI ATF. I keep it on the cleaning bench in an old rem-oil bottle. I use it everywhere that I used to use Rem-oil, which is just something like 99% straight mineral oil.

bigdog454
10-18-2015, 10:24 AM
LPS-2 great stuff, if it moves I use it.
BD

Petrol & Powder
10-18-2015, 10:48 AM
There's so little speed involved that this is way too easy to overthink.

But, just to throw in my two cents, straight 30 weight oil for the ram, wheel bearing grease for all the pins. Done.

RayinNH
10-18-2015, 12:25 PM
But presses got no loob grooves:bigsmyl2:

Waksupi is your go to guy.

RayinNH
10-18-2015, 12:28 PM
There's so little speed involved that this is way too easy to overthink.

But, just to throw in my two cents, straight 30 weight oil for the ram, wheel bearing grease for all the pins. Done.

Exactly. We're not talking a high speed blanking press here. I think any kind of lubricant would work in a reloading press application.

Harter66
10-18-2015, 06:03 PM
RCBS recommended Lubriplate specifically by name when I inquired. They say that is what they say they use for every press in thir shops and labs.

Cmm_3940
10-18-2015, 09:08 PM
I use Lubriplate SFL-0 for anything where I need something less runny than ATF. Great stuff, and about $12 gets you a 20-year supply.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/379954/lubriplate-sfl-0-gun-grease-14-oz-can

John Boy
10-18-2015, 09:26 PM
I'm wondering what some of you guys are using to lube your presses...grease on the ram or? Eezox - cleans - lubes and is a rust prevenative

wmitty
10-19-2015, 12:24 AM
It would seem that an anti-seize compound would be the ideal lubricant for the pin location in order to prevent galling of the steel on steel parts.

osteodoc08
10-19-2015, 12:44 AM
Powder liquid wrench,doesn't attract dust comes in a spray can easy to get and use

This here on the small parts.

I use a dab of RIG on the ram.

smokeywolf
10-19-2015, 12:54 PM
On pins and hinge points I use extreme pressure (aka, "center point") lube.

Elkins45
10-19-2015, 02:36 PM
50% ATF
25% STP
25% Mobil 1

The same stuff I have been using on practically everything for the last 25 years.