PDA

View Full Version : Best 200 gr. 45 ACP Bullet

Half Dog
10-15-2015, 01:14 PM
What are your most accurate 200 gr. 45 ACP bullets?

I am hoping to learn more about casting bullets for accuracy. I would like to know the lead composition, hardness, speed of the bullet, how much of which powder, and notes you wish to share?

How long do you wait to shoot newly cast bullets?

Yes... I am new to casting and I firmly believe every question can be answered here.

Thanks

jcren
10-15-2015, 01:30 PM
Well, you are starting with a great cast learner caliber. No need to reinvent the wheel here, pick out a hg-68 swc clone and pick one o many proven recipies. Personally, I use the standard lube lee, tumble or powder coat and 4 grains of Red Dot powder. 45 acp is low pressure, so getting fancy with lead alloy is probably a waste unles you have a Ransom rest or something. I just run 50/50 wheel weights and pure or buy a 96-2-2 alloy from one of the reputable sellers here and my RIA 5" will make one ragged hole at 20yards every time.

2wheelDuke
10-15-2015, 02:12 PM
You're going to hear some widely varied answers here.

I'd say my most accurate is the H&G68 clone SWC. I consider that the old standby for a 1911. The only downside to that design is it doesn't feed well in some guns, like compact semi-autos.

I also have a 200gr round nose hollowpoint mold for .45. It's pretty accurate too, and I haven't seen a gun yet that won't feed it well.

They both seem to shoot well with a wide range of alloys, but the hollowpoint only wants to expand well with a fairly soft lead, like 25:1 alloy.

Kraschenbirn
10-15-2015, 02:39 PM
As I recall, the second mould (the first was a Lyman 358156) I ever purchased for a center-fire caliber was a Lyman 452460 DC...and, today, that same mould resides with the rest of my collection and still sees regular use. I've shot that boolit - for competition, practice, and plinking - cast from 50/50 and sized .452, in 1911s of all configurations, including a couple of "race guns" with nary a complaint. I'm not going to offer a specific powder recommendation because, at various times, I've used a pretty wide assortment for different guns/purposes but will admit I've always been partial to 700X for 'softball' loads and doubt if you could go too far wrong with Unique for anything else.

Bill

Larry Gibson
10-15-2015, 03:51 PM
I've used a lot of different cast bullet designs of 185 - 205 gr in numerous 45 ACP handguns, sub guns and rifles over the last 45+ years. All of them did well but I've found a well cast bullet with a true flat base is the most accurate. Unfortunately Lee has dropped the one I've been using most often the last 10+ years; the 45-190-SWC. I use it because it is and excellent and very accurate bullet but mostly because I have a 6 cavity mould for it. The Lee 6 cavity 45-200-SWC is also excellent if the bevels are reamed open on the base. Makes the bullets very close to the original H&Gs #68.

In 4 cavity moulds it is very hard to beat the NOE 453-200-SWC and the Lyman 452460. All the above can be had in 2 cavity moulds as can the RCBS 45-200-SWC which is also excellent.

Note; the otherwise excellent 200 gr RF "cowboy" designs are also good if your handgun will feed them. I've found many smaller semi-autos and those with barrel feed ramps do not feed them well. Most standard M1911 types do though.

The previously mentioned alloy of 96-2-2 is an excellent alloy for the 45 ACP. If AC'd bullets are too soft you can simple WQ the bullets as they will harden nicely. I mix COWWs with 2% tin and then mix that at 50/50 with pure lead for very close to that alloy. Back in the day when COWWs were of quality and readily available I shot thousands of then of that alloy straight.

My standard 45 ACP load for 185 - 205 gr cast of the alloy mix mentioned above is 5 gr of Bullseye. That is a "Major" IPSC load out of a Combat Commander. It also is an excellent and extremely accurate load for standard semi-auto's, revolvers, sub guns and rifles. For a PD or hunting load the WQ's bullet over Jeff Cooper's recommended 7.5 gr Unique load has proven not only quite accurate but an excellent +P load.

Larry Gibson

Blackwater
10-15-2015, 04:02 PM
You're getting some really good answers. If what you're wanting is just a target bullet, any of the SWC's are candidates, and should work well. Main thing is just finding the OAL for the loaded rounds that FEEDS in YOUR gun. That can vary from make to make and gun to gun, depending on a number of variables. OAL is often the key to feeding in .45 autos, and just a little difference CAN sometimes make way more difference in feeding than it looks like should be possible. But it does, nevertheless.

You've gotten some good suggestions, and all I can add is that I've got a friend who swears by the RCBS 201 gr. SWC with one, wider lube groove. That bullet was expressly designed to feed in most .45 autos, and has a good, proven track record. Of course, so does the Lymans, and my Lees have been very good once I found the right OAL for my two old Colt Commanders. They like them shorter than many .45's seem to.

If you ever acquire a .45 LC revolver, they also give good service there, too. As one of the guys above said, you've chosen a real good gun to start with. Just remember the OAL thing and you should find lots of happiness. If you want to shoot real light loads for targets, you can simply change out the recoil springs to a lighter one, and it should still feed 100%. Those recoil springs are cheap, and they really DO matter in a .45. Hope you find great success quickly, but do a little experimenting anyway, just to affirm the good loads.

Mk42gunner
10-15-2015, 05:29 PM
I use the Lyman 452460 cast of ACWW, sized .452", lubed with FWFL and normally loaded in front of Winchester 231, mixed brass. It works in my fifteen year old Kimber, so I haven't really searched for another design. I started with a two cavity, then found a four cavity at an auction, then yet another two cavity in a bucket of stuff for $25 at another auction (I bid on that bucket because of the handles attached to the mold, everything else in the bucket was gravy). The funny thing is all three molds cast within a grain of each other, normally 207 with my current batch of wheelweights.

Time after casting, before sizing and loading? Anywhere from two weeks to decades.

Robert

gwpercle
10-15-2015, 09:49 PM
Lyman #452460
Lee #452-200-SWC
These are the two I have the most experience with. The Lyman was my first , bought used in 1971 for $12.50 a double cavity at that! The Lee I got a year ago because I liked their new 2 cavity moulds , the two 9mm's I bought were nice. So for $20.00, I had to try the 45 and it drops excellent boolits and I like the design. Can recommend either.
As for how long to wait ....no set time I have cast , next day lube and size, then during the week load up some ammo and go to the range the next week end. Cast boolits will harden some over a few days, but one week and they will be as hard as they will get.

Gary

rintinglen
10-16-2015, 01:04 AM
Another vote for the H&G 68 design. I use the MP copy, but any of the similar designs will do as well. A 5 cavity NOE would tempt me if I shot more 45 ACP than I do.

Artful
10-16-2015, 01:41 AM
SWC Lyman 452460 or H&G #68 for 200 grainer
but these days I mainly use Truncated Cone 230 grain

stu1ritter
10-16-2015, 05:58 AM
+ a few for the H&G 68 for about 200 gr and if you want to drop to 185 gr the H&G 130. Both are available from several current makers.
Stu

Bryan527
10-18-2015, 10:11 AM
I'm getting good results with the Lyman 452460 and Bullseye. I use them in two 1911s and one load works well in both.

williamwaco
10-18-2015, 10:52 AM
That is all good advice . I too like the H&G 68 clones. There are several.

I find that a waiting period is mandatory if you don't water drop your bullets. For air cooled bullets I wait at least 30 to 45 minutes. Then I size'em, lube'em, load'em, and shoot'em. If you live close to the range, and if you hurry, you can do this in a single afternoon but I rarely complete all the steps in less than 24 hours.

Love Life
10-18-2015, 10:57 AM
I like the H&G 68 clone from NOE. For target use, I use either straight linotype or 96/2/2 heat treated. For practice I have a box marked "45 acp food" that I throw pot remnants and unknown alloys in, and once it gets heavy enough I melt it all into one batch.

I may look to have a custom H&G 68 clone made with no lube grooves as more bearing surface has shown better accuracy in several different guns of mine. If not a grooveless mould, then a much smaller lube groove design. Mebbe a hollow point as well to move all the weight to rear of the bullet.

Char-Gar
10-18-2015, 11:48 AM
What are your most accurate 200 gr. 45 ACP bullets?

I am hoping to learn more about casting bullets for accuracy. I would like to know the lead composition, hardness, speed of the bullet, how much of which powder, and notes you wish to share?

How long do you wait to shoot newly cast bullets?

Yes... I am new to casting and I firmly believe every question can be answered here.

Thanks

Every question will be answered here, but you may get conflicting answers. Without the experience to separate the wheat from the chaff, you may find yourself up the creek without a paddle. A good reloading manual is your best resource to separate the good stuff from the BS and guess work.

That said, you will find that Hensley and Gibbs 68, or a clone thereof, will be the go to bullets for many people. Many millions of these have been fired in matches over the years. Lyman 452460 is another bullet in that weight range with the same record of accurate use. Either will do just fine, but I have a slight preference for 452460 for no provable reason. They have a longer bearing surface and should shoot better, but they don't. Either bullets have a nose profile that will feed in any 1911 pistol, even a rattle trap USGI 1911A1.

Billions of rounds of 45 ACP ammo has been loaded by goverment arsenals and commercial factories for generations with Bulleye powder. It is still at the top of most lists for the 45 ACP round although there are others that work just fine. I still prefer Bulleye after 50 plus years of use in my pistols. A charge of 4.2 to 4.7 grains will do you just fine depending on how fast you want to push the bullets. Accuracy can be found up and down the powder curve.

Alloys do not need to be hard, one in the range of ACWW (bh 10 or 11) will do just fine. There is certainly nothing to be gained by water dropping these bullets.

Cast bullets will gain hardness for a few weeks, stabilize and then after a time, start to loose hardness, but what is gained and lost won't be enough to change the utility of the bullet. I don't consider any of this to be of consequence, so I just cast them and shoot them when I want to.

Size your bullets .451 or .452. I prefer .452, but it really does not make any difference. Seat the bullets in one die and taper crimp in another die.

45 ACP when loaded as above. will give all the accuracy the pistol and shooter can use. The pistol and the shooter will be the weak links in the chain, not the ammo.

wv109323
10-19-2015, 12:30 AM
The 200 gn. SWC ,H&G 68/69 design is the gold standard in cast boolits in NRA Bullseye Competition. The quality of the bullet is more important than the actual design. The corner at the base of the bullet must have a sharp edge and the base flat. The COAL is determined by the front shoulder of the bullet. Leave 1/32" of the bullet body sticking out of the brass.. This is the most reliable feeding length. It is better to taper crimp than to roll crimp, as the .45 ACP head spaces on the case mouth. Taper crimp should be .469-.470".
With target velocities lead alloys can be just about anything. I would smelt my lead So I have a large quantity of like alloy lead.The sweet spot for the 200 SWC is around 775-800 FPS. There are many powders that are suitable for target loads. Those powders include Bullseye,WW231,Clays,VV310, 700X and others. I use 4.2 gns. Of Bullseye. Thrown powder charges are fine. No need to weigh each powder charge.
The most common sizing diameter is .452".
it is not critical to wait after casting the bullets to size and load. I usually cast a lot then load them when convenent.
I prefer lubed bullets over the tumble lube.

osteodoc08
10-19-2015, 12:40 AM
For me it has been an H&G 68 MP clone cast of AC COWW and 5.x gr (I'll have to check my notes later) of 231. Runs 100% in all my 45 past and present and is accurate to boot.

Harter66
10-19-2015, 12:22 PM
I have a 45-200 SWC RCBS that has worked well in several different 1911 and revolver platforms .
5.5 Unique seems to work as well as anything else I've used .
I run a 50/50 WW / 1-20 W/C for most of my sidearm loads.
I run them with Darrs lube + 3 oz wax and 1 tbsp STP to the mix as it would ooze and run in my summer temps .
If I need to shoot I can but I generally cast this week to shoot next week .
I believe that the RCBS boolit is designed specifically for the 1911 to feed in hardball / GI guns but I have no references to prove or disprove that.

runfiverun
10-19-2015, 06:46 PM
LY-452630.
the 640 never shot well for me and two lube grooves are far too many.
but once I got ahold of the 630 in a 4 cavity my H&G-68, the 640, and a couple of other 45 acp molds went down the road.
I dunno how good the newer versions are but my older one makes them just right [size and weight] and round.

Ed_Shot
10-19-2015, 08:21 PM
+1 for the Lyman 452630. It's fantastic in CZ97B, 1911, and SIG but it's not totally reliable in my G30SF.

quilbilly
10-19-2015, 11:38 PM
Welcome to the group. All of the above is good info. Since I presume you are on a budget and have an inclination toward the scientific method, you will probably want to establish a baseline without spending too much money. I suggest a Lee mold of your choice, a Lee 451 push through sizer, and a Lee factory crimp die. A load such as 4.6 gr of Bullseye is a good starting place as is the Alox pan lube. Every firearm has its own personality and this setup may not be the best for yours but it is a starting point. From this you can attack the variables to improve your accuracy one-at-a-time. You are embarking on a lifetime quest and will get more enjoyment than you will imagine.

trixter
10-20-2015, 12:16 PM
I got back into casting about 5 years ago when I acquired a Springfield XDm, 45ACP. I started with a Lee mold 151514
and cast up a bunch, but had some feeding problems, so I switched to
this one with a different radius. It was ok and I shot quite a few. Then a friend suggested the H&G 68 clone
151516 and I liked it better, then I bought the Lee
200 gr SWC. This one loads great and with 4.2 gr Bullseye, makes target shooting total fun, and the holes in the paper are beautiful. I have also purchased a 200 gr HP from MP molds in Slovenia and it is a thing of beauty.
151524 151525

There are many choices out there. If I could only have one It would be the mold from MP, you can cast both HP and turn the pins around and cast solid boolits too, but because I have a choice, I will use the Lee
Have fun making your choices.

docone31
10-20-2015, 12:22 PM
You need a .452 sizer.

sharpshooter3040
10-20-2015, 04:59 PM
I have a Lyman 452460, lee 45-190, rcbs 45-185bb,I can't shoot the difference in any of them. They are all the same basic design. I have shot competition bullseye matches for many years mostly with the Lyman mould 4 grains of WST powder out of my 25-2 or gold cup with awesome results

zomby woof
10-20-2015, 07:16 PM
I have a Springfield 1911, feeds everything. With a Kart barrel it shoots the H+G 68 Quite nicely. My Witness 45 feeds everything, shoots great. My M&P 45 has a hard time with the HG68, likes a TC or RN. My Charles Daley 1911 is very picky. It's not 100% with anything but prefers the RN. Accurate gun but the barrel doesn't sit right and has feed problems. All LEE molds all sized to .452

quilbilly
10-20-2015, 08:30 PM
You need a .452 sizer. I was sizing to 452 until I recently acquired a Blackhawk with an extra 45 ACP cylinder which needs sizing to 451. Its all a learning experience.

mongoose33
10-20-2015, 11:39 PM
I'm using this mold from Accurate:

http://www.accuratemolds.com/bullet_detail.php?bullet=45-200M-D.png

I haven't shot a ton of .45 cast boolits from different molds--this one I bought because I wanted to get something close to the Missouri Bullet IDP#4, which feeds great in my XD-45. (http://missouribullet.com/details.php?prodId=78&category=5&secondary=13&keywords=)

This Accurate boolit I've had great luck with, both lubed and powder-coated. I'm sizing a powder-coated boolit to .452. Feeds great, shoots great.

jonp
10-21-2015, 07:55 PM
Lee 452-200RF over 4.4-4.6gr Promo. I've settled for 200gr in my 45ACP's as the best all around boolit.

GooseGestapo
10-22-2015, 02:21 PM
Another vote for the 200gr Lee #68. I size to .452" and get superlative accuracy. My favorite load is 4.3gr of Clays. Surprisingly fast at 800+fps.

also, I size to .450" and load in a sabot for my .50cal. Two deer, one pig, three shots!
shoots ~3" at 75yds from my CVA IN-Line m/l. (Reciever sight, firesight front). 80gr Pyro RS, 70gr 777 (measure, not weight).

John Boy
10-22-2015, 02:54 PM
I would like to know the lead composition, hardness, speed of the bullet, how much of which powder, and notes you wish to share?
* H&G 68 out of the 4 cavity Accurate mold shot in the Ruger SR 1911
* Bhn 15.4 alloy or Lyman #2
* 5.8gr ETR7 powder (is really the Spanish CSB1 pistol powder) ... see loading data ...
http://expansion-industries.com/reloading/powder/pistol-powder/etr7-smokeless-pistol-powder-4lb.html
* Loaded on a Dillon 550B - meters great and full burn of powder with a tight crimp using the Lee Carbide Factory Crimp Die
* Be sure to load the rounds to the COAL of your handgun and you will have no issues to chamber and extract. Have shot hundreds of this reload in the Ruger with zero chambering & extracting problems
Fps? never chronographed the load

paul h
10-22-2015, 07:19 PM
I'd suggest starting with the Lee 200gr swc tumble lube bullet in a six cavity mold. It might give up some accuracy to the best true H&G 68 designs, but you will learn the basics of casting and have a very good practice/plinking bullet and all you have to do is use some tumble lube, once they are dry load them and shoot them.

With the difficulty of finding fast handgun/shotgun powders at least for me locally, I've gone to using whatever I can get my hands on. Bullseye and Unique have been long standing favorites, but I've been using 700X and WSF lately because it's what I could get.

The 45 acp is a good round that is easy to load for. Just make sure you understand this when adjusting your dies

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b134/UncleAlvah1/Firearms/45seatingpossibilitiesx_zps95d6150c.jpg