PDA

View Full Version : Someone with some QL data check me here....

bullpen7979
10-15-2015, 10:27 AM
I've always wanted to shoot the 105 gr SWC Lee boolit; the problem was I could not locate load data to support the COAL it needed to be to chamber. At th e time, I had only a CZ P01; I have since picked up a 9mm M&P Shield gun I plan to cc. Great sidearm btw.

I have come up with a COAL of about 1.061, 1.062 that will go into battery consistently; the problem is I can't seem to come up with a load that is supported by either lymans or Lee's manual. I have Accurate 5, TG, Pow. Pistol, WSF. I guess i'm looking for a starting charge weight that will work with the 1.06" oal and the 105 grain slug.

Any quickloads geeks out there who can hazard a guess as to where I might start? I was thinking 3.6 grains of Acc 5 or WSF.

As always, the input of the casting and loading experts will be greatly appreciated, sirs.

jcren
10-15-2015, 11:36 AM
May not help, but I load that bullet in one of my 380's with 2.2 grains of WST. Firm little thumper and very economical. Th wife's 380 won't feed it unles the shoulder is almost flush, so I gave up on t that one for now.

tja6435
10-15-2015, 12:07 PM
151186Data for 9mm from Accurate loading manual circa 1994

tja6435
10-15-2015, 12:10 PM
Rest of the 9mm data on the next page:

All max charges, reduce by 10% and work up

bullpen7979
10-15-2015, 01:16 PM
May be a complete idiot here; but I don't see overall length here, meaning it looks like pressures could spike depending on the powder load.

bullpen7979
10-15-2015, 01:17 PM
guess I'll start around 3.4-3.5 grains for starters and check for bottomed out primers and see what happenens

BAGTIC
10-16-2015, 02:03 PM
I assume we are talking about the LEE .358 105 grain SWC.
Quick Load only lists Accurate #5, WAP, and Power Pistol of your powders listed. None of them really seem suited to the .358 Lee SWC cast bullet. For example 3.5 grains of WAP only fill the case 40.8 % and produces 729 fps. at 7372 psi. for 124 ft.lb. It only produces 69% powder burn. Calculations assume a 4.5 inch barrel

I believe you need to consider much faster and bulkier powders for better charge density and faster pressure rise. For example a 3.5 grain charge of RD fills the case 71.2% at 17917 psi (.38 Special pressures) for 1032 fps and 248 ft/lb with a 100% powder burn.

gwpercle
10-16-2015, 02:34 PM
I've been working with that boolit in 9 mm and have had good results. Air cooled wheel weights and pure lead 50/50, sized to .357 . When I get back to the house I'll measure one for you. The only powders I have for 9mm are Red Dot, 700X, Bullseye and Unique .....I'll post what loads are working best.
Being an old school loader I used the trial and error method to set bullet depth, then make a dummy to use to adjust dies from then on . I Don't measure those kinds things but I did buy one of those sliding measuring things two years ago. So I will get that OCD measure for you.
Time to home work is boring.
Gary

guncheese
10-16-2015, 03:00 PM
my OAl for that bullet is 1.000" as it has a sharp shoulder and doesnt like short/sharp leades like a couple of my guns have
i would stick 4gr or a titch more titegroup in it the other powders you have are a bit slow for the bullet weight
but ill bet WSF would be nice any way

beware of loading advice from internet hooligans !!! like me......

gwpercle
10-16-2015, 05:15 PM
O.K , I'm home and have some loaded 9mm with 105's out and measuring, from the base of the case to the small flat on the boolit , I'm hoping that's the OAL, it averages 1.1758.
I have some decent groups with this boolit , sized .357 over the following :
3.1 grains of Bullseye
4.0 grains 700X
4.3 grains of Red Dot
4.7 grains of Unique

All of the above loads feed fired and ejected from 3 different pistols and give good accuracy.
That being said, I ordered a Lee 120 grain 356-120-TC mould and will be trying it out with the same powders. The 120 grain 9mm boolit is a bit easier to load than the SWC 105. it's easier to run thru the lube/sizer, there is no sharp shoulder , base has a slight radius to it and those features make the boolit easier to load, I like it ! now if they shoot...we good !

Gary

bullpen7979
10-18-2015, 02:02 PM
Thanks for the replies all; took test batch to range that was sized 3.575, oal 1.052-1.054, somewhere round there. Still had trouble w slide not going into battery. I could push the slide forward, and fire the shot, but when I pushed slide forward, if I then tried to eject a non-fired round, the projectile would get stuck, and I had to ask the range guy for a pencil, and then he noticed I was shooting lead, and evidently I wasn't supposed to...blah blah blah, which I will prob need another thread on to replicate the safety of jacketed boolits. (Dangit). I think perhaps if I sized down to .356 I might be able to make it work. Problem is I just don't know how short I can go and not risk overpressurizing the round. I see above someone has them sized at an inch even??? Wow. That seems real short. I'm still only about 3 three years into this do I don't like playing fast and loose with load data.

bullpen7979
10-18-2015, 02:32 PM
Considering this mold to cast for CCW. I'd like to practice with what I have live. I was wondering if anyone would have a sample of these that we could work out a deal for. Just want to load a few and see about the accuracy, the type of lube that might work well ( considering getting the smoke down as much as possible and also possibly powder coating so I can practice with this round so I can get a feel for it.

Thanks listers. I'm sure we can work a trade, paypal, something I can comp you with to make it worth your while.

guncheese
10-18-2015, 10:37 PM
oal 1.052-1.054, Still had trouble w slide not going into battery. I could push the slide forward, and fire the shot, but when I pushed slide forward, if I then tried to eject a non-fired round, the projectile would get stuck
then that should tell you the OAL is to long
as this bullet is a SWC its the bullet shoulder hitting the leade of the rifling
so shorten it up till it passes the plunk test
http://goo.gl/sC8SZN
then lower the charge a bit, and see if it cycles the gun
it takes alot of powder to run the gun with that light of bullet
the .357" diameter is fine dont make it less or might get unwanted leading