PDA

View Full Version : Dead Groundhog.

aspangler
10-14-2015, 05:03 PM
Range approx. 60 yards. Rifle home built AR with 16" heavy barrel. 4 power mildot scope zeroed at 225 yards. Load was 14.4 gr Imr4198, FC NT brass, and a cast (50-50 gc) Lyman 58 gr.
GH comes out at 4:25pm. Dead at 4:27 PM. One shot one kill. Boolit went in at exactly the calculated spot and never exited. Must have blown up inside the critter. Been trying to get her out of the garden all summer. Today She made a mistake. Big sow, must have weighed 25 pounds. Fewer little ones around next year. BTW Scope is set for J words but at this range it didn't matter much.

762 shooter
10-14-2015, 05:19 PM
Great job.
I killed a coon today, but it was only 3 inches away in a live trap. Death to chicken killers!!!

JWFilips
10-14-2015, 07:00 PM
Great job.
I killed a coon today, but it was only 3 inches away in a live trap. Death to chicken killers!!!

Question Here: Would raccoons kill newborn kittens? We have 3 belligerent Coons around the house! Our out door kitty had a litter and she survived 2 little ones & was quite proud ( first litter). We didn't want to mess with her newborns so we let her alone in a Flower garden by our house foundation. all was well until my wife heard a rucas one night & in the morning I checked it out and the flower bed was crushed down Kittens gone & the mom was sitting on our patio table bewildered & scared

jsizemore
10-14-2015, 08:13 PM
I remember a news article when I was a teenager of a 60-something lady killed by her pet coon. I'd say the kittens didn't stand a chance.

aspangler
10-14-2015, 08:44 PM
Question Here: Would raccoons kill newborn kittens? We have 3 belligerent Coons around the house! Our out door kitty had a litter and she survived 2 little ones & was quite proud ( first litter). We didn't want to mess with her newborns so we let her alone in a Flower garden by our house foundation. all was well until my wife heard a rucas one night & in the morning I checked it out and the flower bed was crushed down Kittens gone & the mom was sitting on our patio table bewildered & scared
Most definately. Coons will kill anything that they can, then carry it off to eat. Sorry but the kittens stood no chance at all.

dragonrider
10-14-2015, 09:39 PM
We have 5 raccoons that visit our deck once or twice a week to eat the left over cat food we put out for a stray cat. A female and her four kits. It's funny to watch them fight like hell over a few bits of cat food. House cats or strays of any size have no chance against a raccoon.

flounderman
10-14-2015, 10:23 PM
Tom cats will kill kittens, but if they were carried off it was a wild predator. Coyotes and the red wolves are hard on cats, here. I never heard of a coon killing a cat but they might a kitten.

ArcticGoose
10-15-2015, 01:58 AM
Always good to get a groundhog out of the garden. Tough to be there and ready when they mess up.